Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge only to 49% when limit set to 50%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my Tesla charge limit set to 50 percent, but the app shows only charged to 49 percent. Is this a known issue or bug?

Screenshot_20200826-194540.png Screenshot_20200826-194456.png

If your serious, how long did you check it after it finished charging?
I must be missing something since everyone thinks this is a joke post. I leave my Tesla plugged in, so my expectation is that it will charge to 50% (the limit I defined) and show 50% in the app, not 49%.

You'll notice it says "Charging Complete" above the 49% stat.

What am I not understanding?

I must be missing something since everyone thinks this is a joke post. I leave my Tesla plugged in, so my expectation is that it will charge to 50% (the limit I defined) and show 50% in the app, not 49%.

That electricity is not gas (liquid) and measuring charge state of a battery is not quite as precise as that, so seeing 1% difference in completed charge and set charge level is completely acceptable.

That electricity is not gas (liquid) and measuring charge state of a battery is not quite as precise as that, so seeing 1% difference in completed charge and set charge level is completely acceptable.

However, I was seeing 50% before when I set the limit to 50%. Only past month or two am I seeing 49% and not 50%. Perhaps it has something to do with range update?

Known issue, not necessarily bug. It's more a result of Tesla trying to give you less information so as to not overwhelm their customers.

There are a few common things at play here:
  1. The SoC and range numbers are rounded. That "50%" may have been 49.5%, right on the edge.
  2. Temperature impacts the displayed SoC/range. This effect is pretty minimal in summer temps (yet still present), but with regard to the first point can push it so that it looks a whole percentage point down.
    • For example, if the battery was cooler when you saw 49% than when you set the 50%, that could partly explain it.
  3. The car won't keep it at exactly the target setpoint. It allows the charge to drift down a bit before topping it back up.
  4. It's really hard to not accidentally budge the setpoint a little left or right when lifting your finger off
I apologise for those who take this as some sort of meme, troll, or joke. We get posts like these a lot since the community is constantly growing. Honestly, I've been on the forum for a while and "just search" wouldn't help me here either - this is a hard thing to search for, and much easier to just ask. Information is ever-changing too, since both the car and the app get updates!. In fact, you were never able to see the "50%" on the app before, that's a fairly recent feature!

the below quote was what I had in mind.

Uh, another simpler explanation. It charged to 50%, but by the time you looked at it, from phantom drain, or because it's been hotter recently, it used some electricity to cool the car/battery, whatever. Worrying about 1% difference when there can be a ton of variables is just silly.

Does it say “charging completed at 5:55AM at 49%” as a notification or just charging complete and 49% when you open the app?

3344AC82-C486-4AE3-98E3-D4C7F641C0B1.jpeg

I have my Tesla charge limit set to 50 percent, but the app shows only charged to 49 percent. Is this a known issue or bug?

View attachment 581190 View attachment 581191 View attachment 581191

hello; i am having this issue also: m3 lr-rwd. Sometimes i can set my charge to 49% (which wasn't possible when i bought it), and when that is the case my max is limited to 98%, seems to be related to my gen 3 wall connector, because i use a mobile connector at work; still 240v, no issues like this- only ar home. Some nights its set for 50%, but shows complete at 49%.

OK... It's really pretty easy to logically notice that the percentage is not super accurate OR maybe too accurate.

One percent of a big battery like this is a good amount of energy. Let me give you one of my simplified examples.

Let's say the battery is 100KWh. That means that 1% is 1KWh. That's a LOT! So if your car was at 50.5KWh, what should the car display to you? It can't do fractions on 1 percent. In this case the car will just say 50%. Now when you tell the car to charge to 50%, IT WILL EXACTLY STOP at 50.0%. and any temp fluctuations that maybe drops it to 49.9KWh will make the car show 49%. You can test this. Charge to some percentage and then start driving. It will very quickly drop one percent. You might go OMG, I drove 20 feet and I lost one whole percent. MY CAR iS BROKEN! No, chill out.

If I want a full 80 percent charge, I always charge to 81%.