Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge loss outside over night in winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a road trip to an area where there is no hotel with a charger and I don't want to assume I'll find a 120v outlet outside to plug into. How much loss should I anticipate over night? Assume weather will drop into the low to mid 20's (F) during the night. There might be rain or snow. There is a supercharger 20 miles away in the opposite direction from where I'm coming and the one on my path is 65 miles away. ABRP shows if I stop there and charge to 95% I'll arrive at the hotel with 50% charge. I'm just curious how much range I might lose if my battery is only at 40% or 50% over night. I'd rather not have to go 20 miles out of my way to charge up before leaving the next day but I'm not sure I'd make it back to that SC 65 miles away if I don't.

I park in a garage so I have no idea what to expect when leaving my car outside over night so any other tips for outside storage in winter are appreciated!

Reactions: APotatoGod
The problem isn't the loss overnight, it's the cold battery in the morning. You may want to make the decision once you get to the hotel as to the amount of charge that you have. It just may be safer to spend the hour to go add some charge the evening before. Also look at Plugshare for options. If there are some Plugshare on your route, they may just be a safety, if needed.

You should lose less than 10 miles overnight, probably closer to 5.
However, starting with a cold battery will give you a pretty high wH/m when you start out, probably in the high 300s or low 400s.

For a conservative estimate figure 70% efficiency, so your 130 miles from supercharger to hotel and back to the supercharger will use about a little under 200 miles of rated range (plus the 10 or so you will lose overnight).

• Informative
For a conservative estimate figure 70% efficiency, so your 130 miles from supercharger to hotel and back to the supercharger will use about a little under 200 miles of rated range (plus the 10 or so you will lose overnight).

That's pretty tight. Don't think I'm comfortable with that in the cold weather with my 10 year old along for the ride too.

It just may be safer to spend the hour to go add some charge the evening before.

This is doable! Why didn't it occur to me to go over the night before and charge up?! LOL I'm also hoping there will be an outlet outside where I can plug in over night. Even a trickle is better than nothing! I'll bring an extension cord and my mobile connector just in case.

Thanks for the feedback!