Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or maybe that's true. It's possible that they didn't have the materials for the first Model 3s, so early VINs lucked out with the material they did have. (I'm assuming they're making the headliners just like they're making the seats at their nearby facility.)

That said, I wish they'd only shown the current material or made clear that a change was going to happen. And I'd guess they're wishing that right now, too. :)

They should have known, since this exact same thing happened during early S production. Elon ended up saying the swap out of the Alcantara headliner happened without his approval and they put it back. Does this thread feel familiar:

Upset at Major Headliner Issue - Anyone notice this? (resolved)

Last edited:
So I guess I'm not the only one who thinks this is how it should be. :) If the M3 was for me (it is for the wife), I may actually have waited until I could configure my car with black headliner (regardless of what material it is)

Nah, I prefer the grey. With the glass roof it blends into the sky and helps the open feeling. Black would be obvious and break up the roof more.

They should have known, since this exact same thing happened during early S production. Elon ended up going to twitter and saying the swap out of the Alcantara headliner happened without his approval and they put it back. Does this thread feel familiar:

Upset at major headliner issue | Tesla
Caveat though is in that case it explicitly stated "alacantara accents" where with the 3 it never explicitly stated, just "premium materials throughout."

I'm in the camp with not being happy about it, but I've come to terms with it, if this truly becomes a permanent change. As long as it all matches (I'd be okay with alcantara still of the mirror cover flap), I'm fine with it. I'm just getting first production and either giving to wife after a year or trading it in to get dual motor or performance version later. I can live with textile headliner for a year and should have negligible effect on resale.

EVERYONE should go on their myTesla page and submit their alcantara grievances to the high management as a concern under that concerns section. This is what everyone did with that uncorking of 75D 0-60 cap issue, and Tesla listened and fixed it. I said this, feel free to copy and paste/modify as needed:

"I have a Model 3 reservation which is available for configuration. However there's a ton of talking by everyone on the forums and news articles that Tesla has randomly switched the headliner of Model 3 cars from alcantara to textile. I don't want to place an order because of this mistake and be stuck with textile headliner, since all areas were advertised with alcantara. There are many many people on the TMC and Tesla forums disappointed with this perceived bait-and switch change, I am hoping that there can be some clarification of materials before I go forward or not with an order. Thanks!"

“As we continue to increase production of Model 3 and produce more high quality cars for customers, all Model 3 vehicles are being made with the same premium textile headliner found in our flagship Model S and Model X vehicles, which has always been planned at this stage of production.”

"We have always been at war with Eastasia."

With Tesla's latest response to the alcantara switcheroo, it only bolsters my argument I was making in the SpaceX thread about Elon's companies and their common tendencies of never admitting fault or deflecting blame to others.

Here's a glowing press review by The Drive of a Model 3 back in July of last year. The alcantara interior gets an explicit shoutout from the reviewer. Check Out the Tesla Model 3's Spacious Interior

Each of the three passengers make claims that the vehicle feels much more high quality than anticipated, one even believes that it is more so than his Model S. The build quality is admired and the plethora of alcantara accents throughout the car give it a premium feel.

With Tesla's latest response to the alcantara switcheroo, it only bolsters my argument I was making in the SpaceX thread about Elon's companies and their common tendencies of never admitting fault or deflecting blame to others.

Here's a glowing press review by The Drive of a Model 3 back in July of last year. The alcantara interior gets an explicit shoutout from the reviewer. Check Out the Tesla Model 3's Spacious Interior

Each of the three passengers make claims that the vehicle feels much more high quality than anticipated, one even believes that it is more so than his Model S. The build quality is admired and the plethora of alcantara accents throughout the car give it a premium feel.

Well, it shouldn't be higher quality than the S, so maybe Tesla is cutting some costs and public perception.

Wow I remember visiting this thread when it was only a few pages. Looks like from some comments at the end here I should go back and read through the thread based on it being picked up by media and Tesla apparently responding to it??

We happen to love our all black PUP interior on our Model S (includes alcantara material). The black is really easier on the eyes when driving in bright sunlight even with sunglasses on. The alcantara does feel more luxurious.

I would have guessed that when PUP was listed for the first production Model 3 that the material would be alcantara even though it wasn't stated on their list of what was standard or not and that the standard version would have textile seat and the cloth headliner material (just like the basic MS 90D we had as a loaner--which headline material is still nice quality BTW--doesn't feel cheap). Have to wonder if part of the production delay wasn't due to limited supply of alcantara maybe, like someone overlooked this first production was the PUP upgraded materials?

Last edited:
EVERYONE should go on their myTesla page and submit their alcantara grievances to the high management as a concern under that concerns section. This is what everyone did with that uncorking of 75D 0-60 cap issue, and Tesla listened and fixed it. I said this, feel free to copy and paste/modify as needed:

"I have a Model 3 reservation which is available for configuration. However there's a ton of talking by everyone on the forums and news articles that Tesla has randomly switched the headliner of Model 3 cars from alcantara to textile. I don't want to place an order because of this mistake and be stuck with textile headliner, since all areas were advertised with alcantara. There are many many people on the TMC and Tesla forums disappointed with this perceived bait-and switch change, I am hoping that there can be some clarification of materials before I go forward or not with an order. Thanks!"
I’ll wait until they send my invite :D

I understood your point in the other thread, but even I must admit... It never occurred to me Tesla might claim the base Model S/X headliner cloth is now "premium textile headliner" and "always been planned at this stage of production".

If the latter is true, did they use Alcantara only for photo-ops in 2017 and then switched away once the world was awash with Alcantara interior images of Model 3?

They still manage to surprise, sort of.

Webmaster Please Change the Thread Title to: Alcantaragate - Tesla Righteous Indignation Overblown

Next: Seating Foamgate - The seats are less squishy in my Model 3 compared to my Model S. Elon: Can you redesign the Model 3 seats and give us a free silk/cashmere headliner for all the emotional upheaval you put us through over the last 24 hours?

BTW: Anything happening with that SpaceX side-project you spend your time on?

TeslaWorld Update: The retired 70 y.o. that manages Elon's twitter account is waiting to get clarification on how many Alcantaras they will need to kill to stop all this chest-beating over a piece of interior trim. Stay tuned...

:(

Last edited:
It's base on S/X 70K+ car and premium on 3 35K car

So what exactly is base on a $35k car in your opinion? Paper wrappers? Maybe a burlap sack?

This textile looks to be pretty average and I'm sure nobody has a problem with it in the regular interior. The problem is Tesla's behavior: downgrading the premium interior after setting expectations and then being dishonest about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.