Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty convinced that this is a mistake.

Occam's razor says that someone in the factory goofed and loaded a bunch of cloth headliners (intended for non-PUP cars which we were supposed to be building by now, and so there's probably a pile of them lying around the factory) into the line by accident.

There's no reason to believe that Tesla would be making such a significant design change this early, and if they were doing it to cut costs, they'd be cutting the alcantara off the sun visors too.

For what its worth, the cloth headliner looks like the same stuff that's in my 2014 S.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but non-PUP cars don’t have a glass roof, so the geometry of the non-PUP cloth headliner would necessarily be different than the PUP headliner. A mixup would therefore be impossible, as the non-PUP headliner would “sunshade” the glass roof!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but non-PUP cars don’t have a glass roof, so the geometry of the non-PUP cloth headliner would necessarily be different than the PUP headliner. A mixup would therefore be impossible, as the non-PUP headliner would “sunshade” the glass roof!
Hm. a decent point.

Regardless, people getting their knickers in a twist over it with claims that its as bad as a Civic or GM product is a bit extreme - as I said, my 2014 S has this material on its headliner and that doesn't make it any less of a luxury car. Alcantara headliners in Model S were an upgrade.

It doesn't make sense to me why Tesla would build the first cars with alcantara and change now, though.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Hm. a decent point.

Regardless, people getting their knickers in a twist over it with claims that its as bad as a Civic or GM product is a bit extreme - as I said, my 2014 S has this material on its headliner and that doesn't make it any less of a luxury car. Alcantara headliners in Model S were an upgrade.

It doesn't make sense to me why Tesla would build the first cars with alcantara and change now, though.
The powers that be at Tesla have to know that there was a change....by the cost of the headliner or something. Tesla doesn't make headliners.

would you even check if the headliner in the car is the correct one?
Yes because QC is to find problems, even something as "simple" as a headliner. Besides, they presumably should only have the non-textile headlines coming off the line so it should be blindingly obvious to their QC. If they aren't going to check something so basic, then why even bother with QC?

However, people, especially enthusiasts and early adopters, do pay attention to these details. Having Alcantara trim and cloth headliner might be appropriate for a 25k Honda Civic Si, but not IMO for a 50k Tesla Model 3.

Maybe class action litigation is needed? Dang...

My New Model 3 Whip Is Gonna Be Wrecked Now.

How can I 'Style and Profile' properly when Elon messed up my PUP?

Alcantara Lyrics
[Hook: Belly]
Uh, alcantara roof, yeah

No Panameras, I'm talkin' new Carrera coupes, aye
Look, uh

[Verse 2: Belly]
I dodged the demons, I'm forever proud
But every then and now I still go shut 11 down
Exotic women I got a taste for
I'm goin' ape, f$!&^%kin' bi&%$#hes in my Bape shorts
Penthouses on Lake Shore, I paid for
Trap house on the eighth floor, we stay pure
No couches, no decor, I made sure
This my motherf#$!kin' party, how I'm late for it?
Alcantara ceilin'

I tried to explain but I just can't compare the feelin'
Peelin' off, my chain like icing with the carrot fillin'
The hero is unappealing, they only feel the villain

Yeah, alcantara roof (She can't tell the truth)

No Panameras, I'm talkin' new Carrera coupes

Last edited:
Well, I have photos to prove it changed. It is definitely cloth now other than the visors that are still suede material. Very strange mixture.

View attachment 272383 View attachment 272384
The cloth one bothers me a lot, it's the same cheap material as almost all other cars. You'd think it'd be only a minor thing, but I'm considering canceling the reservation. I honestly don't know why this is such of a big issue for me, but I think the cloth is awful and these things matter. I wanted to upgrade my AP 1.0 7-seat MX to a second 7-seat Model X with AP 2.0, but the new fold flat seats (vs monopost), loss of alcantara on the new MX's and removal of the Matte Obeche wood trim caused me not to order it. They also removed the ventilated seat option rather then fixing them, though I didn't care as much about this. Tesla is cutting corners with interior details, these are irrefutable cost-cutting measures and it's sadly disappointing to see that they're doing it to MX and translating it over to the Model 3. It's a shame and sadly in my case they really are losing business. I REALLY want a red Model X, but I can't get over the new dank-looking 7-seat config. I get it for practicality, but there's no reason why they can't offer the old monopost as an option. Likewise here, I'd pay up for alcantara, but it's not even an option. :'(

And on every other issue I've defended Tesla to the end of the earth, but for what it's worth, I am completely let down in this case and don't agree with ANYONE on here who says "they didn't specify alcantara so we can't hold it against them etc". Alcantara was shown in pictures, test drives, the MyTesla logout page, design studio, plus the "premium cabin materials throughout", so ANY reasonable person would have the expectation that PUP means alcantara.

Last edited:
Maybe class action litigation is needed?

How can I 'Style and Profile' properly when Elon messed up my PUP?

Alcantara Lyrics
Uh, alcantara roof, yeah

No Panameras, I'm talkin' new Carrera coupes, aye
Look, uh

[Verse 2: Belly]
I dodged the demons, I'm forever proud
But every then and now I still go shut 11 down
Exotic women I got a taste for
I'm goin' ape, f$!&^%kin' bi&%$#hes in my Bape shorts
Penthouses on Lake Shore, I paid for
Trap house on the eighth floor, we stay pure
No couches, no decor, I made sure
This my motherf#$!kin' party, how I'm late for it?
Alcantara ceilin'

I tried to explain but I just can't compare the feelin'
Peelin' off, my chain like icing with the carrot fillin'
The hero is unappealing, they only feel the villain

Yeah, alcantara roof (She can't tell the truth)

No Panameras, I'm talkin' new Carrera coupes
What?

I'm pretty convinced that this is a mistake.

Occam's razor says that someone in the factory goofed and loaded a bunch of cloth headliners (intended for non-PUP cars which we were supposed to be building by now, and so there's probably a pile of them lying around the factory) into the line by accident.

There's no reason to believe that Tesla would be making such a significant design change this early, and if they were doing it to cut costs, they'd be cutting the alcantara off the sun visors too.

For what its worth, the cloth headliner looks like the same stuff that's in my 2014 S.
I was hoping and originally thought this was the case, but if customer service reps are now telling people on here that they're all being made with textile then I doubt this is the case. And it's not like they're telling this to people who have textile, they're telling it to people who haven't even received the cars yet but are inquiring.

So why would Tesla put alcantara in any car at all?
Tesla never showed you a car, and even if you order a Model S today after seeing one in the showroom, there are things that will be different between the showroom car and the one you get - its the nature of rolling in changes constantly.

They put alcantara in cars because its a nice material. Now for some reason, it seems that some cars have come out with a different material. Perhaps alcantara is in short supply, or any number of other reasons.

Yes because QC is to find problems, even something as "simple" as a headliner. Besides, they presumably should only have the non-textile headlines coming off the line so it should be blindingly obvious to their QC. If they aren't going to check something so basic, then why even bother with QC?

QC is indeed to find problems - usually functional ones. Does the car and all its systems function as intended? It is, I admit, also to ensure the car is built with the proper parts for its selected option loadout, but since those are all the same right now except for wheels and exterior color, its easy to see how a QC person wouldn't look that closely at the interior materials. Several people took delivery of these cars, and didn't notice until these threads started showing up. If you saw these cars day in and day out for your job, you'd be surprised what its possible for you to miss.

I honestly don't know what Alcantara is. I had a 2013 S that did not have it AFAIK. Perhaps my 3 has it. Haven't looked.
More seriously, when I logged into MyTelsa to check my options after reading this post I noticed I can not only not find Alcantara, my car no longer has paint nor wheels!
Now that's a downgrade.

IMG_4242.PNG

I honestly don't know what Alcantara is. I had a 2013 S that did not have it. Perhaps my 3 has it. Haven't looked.
More seriously, when I logged into MyTelsa to check my options after reading this post I noticed I can not only not find Alcantara, my car no longer has paint nor wheels!
Now that's a downgrade.

View attachment 272410

It’s flying.

Wild. This is the kind of stuff that seems like dumb own goals to me. Why not just do textile from the start then ? Now there are two different configs and some people will feel left out.

I suspect the configurator will be updated soon (sarcasm):

Standard Model 3 - $35K December 2019
Standard Model 3 with Premium Alcantara $38,500 Summer 2018

Last edited:
Yup I've further convinced myself. While any legal action is nonsense, to all the people who think our complaining is unjustified and that Tesla was being "generous" with the early cars - no flippin way. I got an invite to configure my Model 3 but I deferred to wait for AWD. But look! If I go configure it now, and I click the image showcasing the premium package on the design studio, it shows alcantara! So tell us how we're out of bounds by expecting this? (image below)
Capture.PNG

I suspect the configurator will be updated soon:

Standard Model 3 - $35K December 2019
Standard Model 3 with Premium Alcantara $38,500 Summer 2018

Doubtful. From the model S experience, changing headliner material on a whim and not specifying what material you get is par for the course. If memory serves, we’ve already seen this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.