Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo Adapter For Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it isnt just a gender changer. It is quite complex with a lot of software to ensure compatibility with dozens of different Chademo manufacturers, all implementing the poorly documented Chademo spec slightly differently.

Tesla has very competitive price points for their charging hardware (like the Mobile Connector and all the adapters).

People buy the Chademo adapter to fill gaps in SC coverage. I’ve had occasion to use mine when I’ve had to a lot of random path driving in a single day and the SCs just weren’t in convenient places. I bought it as a convenience, not to save money (you almost always have to pay for Chademo charging anyways).

Wish I had a picture handy, but we’re not talking about just a plug, this thing is massive. About a meter long, easily double my forearm in diameter at one end, and a good 20 or 30 pounds. This isn’t something you can palm, or walk off with without everyone seeing it.

Understood, thanks. Reason I was interested is I have SC less than 1km from me, but also an Ikea that has free chademo. We visit the Ikea once a week or so with my wife's bolt to top up and either have some food at IKEA, shop there, or do grocery shopping at the grocery store there.

But we mainly charge at home, and I intend to do the same with the 3. So I probably can't justify the $600 for the chademo adaptor since that would be about 1 year worth of charging at home, and i dont intend to exclusively charge at ikea...not worth the time to go there every couple days and wait/shop/eat when I can just plug in at home. If I did go that route, I would probably end up spending more money shopping/eating anyway, making the financial side even less logical :)

Maybe I'll pick one up down the road, but likely will be fine with using SC when necessary.

Reactions: T3l5aFan
If someone already seen it being used in the wild, that's good news. There were rumours that the Model 3 is hardware incompatible with the chademo adapter. So that pretty much debunks it.
Definitely hardware compatible, there’s just one concern: how do the new 2170 cells handle Chademo charging, and what software regulation will the adapter need.

Here’s what the adapter looks like, compared to the J1772 adapter.
B75B3090-6F33-47F9-9FFA-0F3B037A08E8.jpeg

From what I read when it came out there's actually a fair bit of hardware and R&D you're paying for to bridge two very different protocols.

If you have Superchargers around they're definitely the thing to use. But if you're considering a trip to Nova Scotia it's probably well worth the money.

Not easily stolen. Locks into the charge port the same way the J1772 adapter does.

Having just completed a 4,000 km Model X road trip through N-B and Nova Scotia today, I totally agree that chademo compatibility is essential, until supercharger buildup reaches coast to coast coverage.

The trip would have been vastly different without L3 chargers (for the worse), and we were extremely lucky that most N-S fast chargers were energized one week prior to our departure.

Returning to Quebec was pure joy as I got to use superchargers again (obviously much faster, but importantly no worry about them being all in use like the single chademos).

Yeah, but that’s handled by the Techin the car. The Chademo adapter probably needs to be adjusted to handle charging the new cells.
Does not make a difference. The car just tells the charging station the voltage and current it wants, and some metadata, like SoC.
In fact. A Chademo station is just a huge Lab Power Supply and it doesn't care about the physical cells or something like that.

Does not make a difference. The car just tells the charging station the voltage and current it wants, and some metadata, like SoC.
In fact. A Chademo station is just a huge Lab Power Supply and it doesn't care about the physical cells or something like that.
Incorrect. The battery management system cares a LOT about its cells, considering their operational requirements, warming/cooling, rate of charge, etc.
Also, the Chademo bypasses the onboard chargers and dumps power right into the batteries, so the batteries ability to accept power is the limiting factor.
186550 cells are a known quantity for chademos, the 2170 aren’t.

Incorrect. The battery management system cares a LOT about its cells, considering their operational requirements, warming/cooling, rate of charge, etc.
Also, the Chademo bypasses the onboard chargers and dumps power right into the batteries, so the batteries ability to accept power is the limiting factor.

That's good info. I thought it would still be a converter to SC part of the car and the car would regulate it....

Superchargers do the same. The onboard BMS will take care of the cells it is still operating even though the onboard AC-DC charger is not being used. The only issue is what charge rate needs to be sent to the car.

Reactions: dhrivnak
The BMS cares about the health of the battery, about conditioning the temperature, C Rate and so on. The Job of the Chademo Station is just to deliver the Voltage and Amperage the BMS wants. The electrical characteristics of the 2170 Cells is just the same as from 18650 cells. They just have a bit more capacity and have a possible higher C Rate. For the Chademo its just a battery, which wants this amount of Voltage and is limited to that amount of Current. It can not distinguish between 2170, 18650 or 26650 LiFePo batteries.

Tesla Model 3 will begin to ship to China by March 2019。It is mandatory to comply China national standard for EV fast charging which is Chademo connector. In the past Tesla provides two solutions: before 2017, Tesla provides China National standard Level 2 connector (which modified to use Tesla super charger as well) and a Chademo adptor. After 2017, they installed two connectors on each Tesla cars shipped to China.

By saying that I believe that Chademo solution shall be available soon.

3D52FA5D-E8B2-4700-BB50-375E8DB5BC73.jpeg 68029773-723F-4AD2-8401-E98DC9E3E61C.jpeg