Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS & NACS now possible for Roadster with Jdemo mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning everyone. I don't frequent this area at all, but thought I'd pass this along.

Most roadster owners know about the Jdemo upgrade, that allows CHAdeMO Charging of the Roadster.
One of my acquaintances at a EV Accessory factory sent me this last night. They have released a CCS1 to CHAdeMO Adapter. This would allow CHAdeMO capable cars to charge on CCS1. They have also tested multi-adapters, to go from NACS to CCS1, then adapter from CCS1 to CHAdeMO.

While this would not in any means be fast, it would open the supercharger network up to Roadsters. I'm not selling them, but if anyone is interested PM me and I'll get you in contact with the factory rep. She reported cost will be ~$900 + Shipping.

Cheers!

439472271_408303842124878_7475145015350377728_n.jpg

Good morning everyone. I don't frequent this area at all, but thought I'd pass this along.

Most roadster owners know about the Jdemo upgrade, that allows CHAdeMO Charging of the Roadster.
One of my acquaintances at a EV Accessory factory sent me this last night. They have released a CCS1 to CHAdeMO Adapter. This would allow CHAdeMO capable cars to charge on CCS1. They have also tested multi-adapters, to go from NACS to CCS1, then adapter from CCS1 to CHAdeMO.

While this would not in any means be fast, it would open the supercharger network up to Roadsters. I'm not selling them, but if anyone is interested PM me and I'll get you in contact with the factory rep. She reported cost will be ~$900 + Shipping.

Cheers!

View attachment 1042843
Note that the 2008-2012 Roadster requires AC power for charging, so it will not be able to charge from DC “Supercharger” power sources, even with compatible-shaped adapters. But from Level 2 AC chargers of all the various flavors (up to 16kW), yes!

Note that the 2008-2012 Roadster requires AC power for charging, so it will not be able to charge from DC “Supercharger” power sources, even with compatible-shaped adapters. But from Level 2 AC chargers of all the various flavors (up to 16kW), yes!
There is an after-market product called Jdemo, which allows the roadsters to use CHAdeMO DC fast charging.

Reactions: Ben W
Something like that. Basically it consists of adding a contactor (relay) to connect an external CHAdeMO plug to the battery, and some logic that connects to the CAN bus to trick the car into thinking it's in Regen, with control over the pilot signal back to the charger to regulate how much power to supply. Instead of the juice coming from the motor, it's coming from the charger through the contactor.

The down-side is that Tesla will refuse to work on the car with the JDEmo present. Instead, I'd just be happy with a box that would convert the Supercharger's 400v DC to 240v AC, then plug the car into that. Just a big inverter, no?

Reactions: eHorses
Have a friend with a Lightning or Cybertruck meet you at the Supercharger. They fast charge. Then you charge from the 240V in their bed. ;)
View attachment 1043002
That's already crossed my mind...

I was at an Earth Day event last weekend, and one of the cars was a Lightning. I considered asking him if I could hook up, as an over-the-top demo, but he already had a demo running - crock pot and a popcorn popper running in the front trunk.

WOW! Impressive! How well did the car handle the heat from charging?
Along with the JDemo kit Stefan also installed a switch to manually turn on the ESS cooling solenoid,

Inspired by this thread:

Thus, I always have AC cooling of the pack in order to avoid pushing way past 30C,
So summertime DC charging in the summertime even with up to 75 kw can be kept in well below 40 C. In