Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CBC National News TV Feature on Tesla and Road Trip Capability Coming soon...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Southern Ontario and have had my Model S for over a year now. Back when I got it, people had no idea what it was. It was a complete unknown. I even had two cops approach me in a Starbucks wanting to know what it was and "how I got it registered for road use in Ontario". They had no idea it was electric. Flash forward a year and now everyone knows about Tesla and these Model S's are everywhere. On one hand, I'm sad because I don't feel "special" any more, but on the other hand I am glad that EVs in general and Tesla specifically are becoming widely recognized and admired.

LOL I helped out at a drive event in Montreal last week, and almost no one paid any attention to my Model S. It was just one of many. Poor thing was dejected.

Nice job, Vger! Would have been great if a snapshot of your charging screen was shown while you were at the Supercharger - people can relate to a 350 miles/hour or some such number to comprehend that SCs are different from those slow AC chargers. The interviewer didn't quite make that distinction while you did say 30 minutes in passing.

It's time Chris Paine - who has done so much for EVs and Tesla in a way - traded in both his Leaf and his Volt for a Model S, me thinks.

It's time Chris Paine - who has done so much for EVs and Tesla in a way - traded in both his Leaf and his Volt for a Model S, me thinks.

It's been a while since WKTEC was huge so it is good that he is getting some air time. I hope he does well with his latest documentary. He, like Elon and Tesla, had a big effect on why EV's have made a resurgence.

A very nice piece overall. Of course it had to mention "range anxiety" but until people are educated to understand that their battery won't run out of power much differently than their ICE will run out of gasoline, it's a real concern for them.

There always has to be a "opposing view" on these pieces it seems. In a decade or so we'll be able to sit O'Dell up there with the geocentrists and evolution deniers where he belongs.

I'm in Southern Ontario and have had my Model S for over a year now. Back when I got it, people had no idea what it was. It was a complete unknown. I even had two cops approach me in a Starbucks wanting to know what it was and "how I got it registered for road use in Ontario". They had no idea it was electric. Flash forward a year and now everyone knows about Tesla and these Model S's are everywhere. On one hand, I'm sad because I don't feel "special" any more, but on the other hand I am glad that EVs in general and Tesla specifically are becoming widely recognized and admired.

I live in Aurora just north of Toronto and there's at least 4 Model S cars in town I see driving around. Makes me want one more than ever but I'll have to wait for the "Model E" car. Maybe I might find a used Model S in 3 years ;)

Here is the video piece: Plugging In: The Future of Electric Cars - The National - CBC Player

Dominant coverage for Tesla, but curmudgeonly comments from O'Dell. He will look silly in ten years, I predict!

One could never argue that O'Dell is prescient. He referred to the committee he was on that look at the future of auto power, as if the committee's conclusions had any validity. It was a committee, which means its conclusions were pablum. Not at all impressive, but then again he works for a company that has to satisfy the makers of ICEs.

I didn't think O'Dell was that bad. Certainly not optimistic, but not really pessimistic either. I actually agree when he says it will be a mix in 2050, and that petrol will be around for a long time. Every time I leave the Bay Area I am surprised by the absence of Teslas and other plug-in cars. Transition of infrastructure and mentality will take some time, but in 35 years I definitely think that electric will be the preferred choice.

While predictions for a future 35 years away are hard, I predict that the "choice" between ICE and electric propulsion will be rendered obsolete way earlier. Gasoline will cease to be a viable option due to cost and availability, and the distribution infrastructure will crumble long before 2050.