Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarScreen Device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a quick look at the limited specs of the device and I can't really see the point of it over using your existing phone as an in car display?

A nice phone mount with an automation/routine that opens your preference of Apple Car Play/Android Auto when the phone connects to your car should achieve the same. Depends what phone you currently have as the screen size and resolution would be important.

Personally I do miss some aspects of having carplay. First, I am more used to Google Map vs. Tesla map, though they both use data from Google, I do feel that Google Map is more intuitive, especially you had a better sense of when is the next turn (details like zooming in on the map certain distance before the turn). Also, I use Youtube Music, and not having the app in a Tesla is a little inconvenient. Not missing enough to actually place another screen in my car though.

I had a quick look at the limited specs of the device and I can't really see the point of it over using your existing phone as an in car display?

A nice phone mount with an automation/routine that opens your preference of Apple Car Play/Android Auto when the phone connects to your car should achieve the same. Depends what phone you currently have as the screen size and resolution would be important.

I didn’t think it was possible to have the CarPlay interface shown on the phone, at least not in a vehicle that wasn’t CarPlay compatible, if I understand you correctly?

Whilst driving today and thinking about where I might put a display of the type mentioned initially, I think I’ve come to the conclusion that for me personally there’s nowhere I’d consider safe/sensible to mount it given it requires interacting with, so will probably forget about that option for the time being.

Whilst chatting with a good friend earlier he mentioned a device that in theory lets you run CarPlay in a browser window in the 3’s display, that’s mildly intriguing and not too expensive either.

I had CarPlay in previous Mercedes, by no means desperate to access it again, was just mildly suckered in to this particular rabbit hole when I saw the advert that prompted the first post. Status quo will prevail I think.

I didn’t think it was possible to have the CarPlay interface shown on the phone, at least not in a vehicle that wasn’t CarPlay compatible, if I understand you correctly?
Apologies, I'm not as familiar with iOS as I am Android and I had assumed there was an option with Apple to switch into the car play interface on the phone itself, seems there isn't.

I had a quick read of a possible workaround, but not sure if you'd find it viable:

Reactions: Masklin