Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cars, Candidates, Loans, and Bailouts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This would imply that either he's cynically grandstanding to get votes, or he's an idiot. Don't feel you have to choose just one option.

Can I choose both? This is almost exactly what all the politicians did with proposing the "gas tax holiday" back in 2008.

The only one whose been fairly consistent is Ron Paul
I like some of the stuff : No auto bail outs for GM or Chrysler, no oil subsidies, free market
Neutral on the "no auto loans to develop new auto tech"- to be fair Tesla is the only one who came up with good tech for the money
Don't like the fact that he would rescind the tax credit (but rescind the IRS altogether- I like that part) and put a national sales tax (being taxed double when making big purchases if saving up for years) .

If you took out all the subsidies, oil (5 billion subsidy/year) would go up about 20% (about the same as the 7.5 K rebate for the EVs over the life of the car)

UAW Thoughtfully Reminds Romney Of His Own Words

original.jpg

White House unveils $4.7B plan to boost advanced vehicles

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120307/AUTO01/203070406/1148/rss25

But in a major policy shift, President Barack Obama wants to broaden a government tax credit that was created to support electric vehicles. He now wants to include other types of advanced vehicles, including those that run on fossil fuels such as compressed natural gas.The shift comes as Americans fail to embrace electric cars as fast as many predicted. It is increasingly unlikely, if not impossible, that the U.S. will have 1 million plug-in and electric vehicles on the roads by 2015. Obama had proposed that goal as a presidential candidate.

The shift comes as Americans fail to embrace electric cars as fast as many predicted. It is increasingly unlikely, if not impossible, that the U.S. will have 1 million plug-in and electric vehicles on the roads by 2015.

I don't know about a million by 2015, but the "failure to embrace" conclusion seems rather premature. They're just getting started.