Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carrying Skis, what options for 2015 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car: 2015 July Model S 70D, with sunroof
Goal: Carry 2 pairs of skis and 2 snowboards in winter

What roof rack options are best as I am keeping an eye out for new and used roof racks .
Is the Whisper Bar solution really the only option? Or are others just as good. Probably 5 trips during the season. Is it better to get a ski rack or a roof box?

Thanks

Whisper bar is great and u can find second hand

Box only if you'll remove between trips. I have a Yakima skybox and use it 2x per year for trips. You know it's there and you'll lose some range - in the winter that may be a deal breaker for you.

I have some through bar whispbars with the WB300 ski racks on my 2016 model s. Other than being a bit loud wind noise wise (relative to no racks), they work great! Just make sure you adjust your trunk to not open too high with your skis on top. I got mine at rerack for a great price last year. I think they basically got all of the "old" whispbar stock?

Here's my setup:
racks1.jpg
with_skis.jpg

Ewwwww ski racks -- great if you want to destroy your bindings, work grit into your bases so they'll never ski fast again, and maybe permanently damage your edges with salt corrosion. Maybe OK for short trips for snowboards or Nordic equipment.

If you've got to carry skis and boards for 4, sounds like you may have 1 seat available. Put the narrow side of the rear seat down and carry them in the cabin, is my advice. If not that, then a topbox or an EcoHitch with a hitch mounted carrier and skis strapped down in a ski bag.

• Disagree
Reactions: appleguru and BEEZR
Ewwwww ski racks -- great if you want to destroy your bindings, work grit into your bases so they'll never ski fast again, and maybe permanently damage your edges with salt corrosion. Maybe OK for short trips for snowboards or Nordic equipment.

If you've got to carry skis and boards for 4, sounds like you may have 1 seat available. Put the narrow side of the rear seat down and carry them in the cabin, is my advice. If not that, then a topbox or an EcoHitch with a hitch mounted carrier and skis strapped down in a ski bag.

LMAO. I've been skiing my entire life; had my skis on racks for most of that time (east coast and in Colorado). Never had any of the problems you mention.

It's important to wipe them down after a day go skiing to prevent rust. Keeping them well tuned is helpful too. But racks really dont cause any problems. If you have the space, sure, throw them in the back (my shorter skis actually fit without folding the seat). But if not, get some racks and you'll be fine. (I can even open my sunroof with skis on top!)