Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Footprint of attending the Model S Factory tour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the meantime, I'm driving an EV, which is more than 99% of the population is doing, but I don't feel a need to get on a high horse about it. I'm not trying to shame my neighbours about what car they are driving.

+1 for that. I myself must try very hard to keep my emotions to my own, or I will not convince anybody outside the EV supporters group.

It wasn't personal to Nikki (looking forward to meeting you, Nikki!).

It was a bigger question & good for him for saying 'hey! elephant in the room!'. We shouldn't be afraid of these discussions. Everyone had good points. It should be an ongoing dialogue.

Just my opinion.

Well, I am glad to learn that Nikki has combined other activities with the same trip, so it is more productive than just a "come see the S beta" back and forth.

Hopefully other long distance / international travelers have multiple reasons to come out and enjoy the SF Bay Area right now.

Over the years, I can recall some people saying things like "Ugh, I have to take this stupid 2 day trip half way around the globe for a pointless meeting." When that happens I get rankled.

Last edited:
I'm coming. Sitting in my hotel room (probably room service). Renting a Hummer, driving to the event, driving back to the hotel, then flying back out on Sunday.

Don't hold me to this, but I might also crush a kitten while there.

From the article
"Despite its problems, travel can actually be a boon for conservation, adds Honey. "It's crucial to host communities and an important
economic activity in developing countries. Plus travel is a learning tool, as well. It gives the traveler an awareness of the world and
the environment, that you won't get from staying home watching television."

I agree. If traveling to see nature (seeing humpbacks breach for the first time) gets your interested in conservation or going to the Tesla event gets you inspired to talk your friends into getting an electric car then it's worth it. The carbon footprint argument of attending the event is a valid point to bring up but sometimes you just have to go to something to really enjoy it and everyone needs a little vacation now and then. Plus there is the pre-pre-party anyway so your trip will serve a dual purpose.

EVery one of us here is sowing seeds. If we have to use precious water to feed the planet then its a good use. Nikki serves up the most palatable offering to the most populous so she gets the biggest ration.

Or, f this did not work would you like my film popular culture "contagion" analogy better?

I'm told there will be a thousand Tesla employees at the event this weekend.

Companies have annual meetings all the time. Sometimes several per year. Kudos to Tesla for combining a customer and corporate EVent meetup.