Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you spot the problem here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_7175.JPG

Where is the speed limit sign? Did it ignore a 25 limit sign earlier on the street?

I don’t think there is one.

I turned left onto that street from another street that has a 35 mph limit the car started hauling ass.

I don’t think this street has a 25 mph sign on it. It’s incredibly narrow and 25 is honestly a bit fast.

I’m going to bring my gopro and try it again. This was a few months ago.

I don’t think there is one.

I turned left onto that street from another street that has a 35 mph limit the car started hauling ass.

I don’t think this street has a 25 mph sign on it. It’s incredibly narrow and 25 is honestly a bit fast.

I’m going to bring my gopro and try it again. This was a few months ago.

The problem is that in absence of a speed limit sign, Tesla falls back on a database of speed limits. In this case, the data is wrong. Very common problem. The issue is likely with TomTom maps, which is where Tesla sources its speed limits. TomTom had a residential road near me marked as 60mph when it was supposed to be 25. I requested changes and TomTom approved. Next Nav update, Tesla picked up the change and now it uses the correct speed limit.

Reactions: DesmoDog
I thought it may be fun to see if anyone put the pieces together.

Obviously this is a residential street that is very narrow. Tesla thinks the speed limit is 55.

Sorry to offend.

Not offended, just makes helping harder. The windshield image is too blurry to tell. Is that the faux background blur made by cell phone cameras? Turn that off next time. There are roads around me that look like that (my guess thru the blur) where 55 is reasonable.

The problem is that in absence of a speed limit sign, Tesla falls back on a database of speed limits. In this case, the data is wrong. Very common problem. The issue is likely with TomTom maps, which is where Tesla sources its speed limits. TomTom had a residential road near me marked as 60mph when it was supposed to be 25. I requested changes and TomTom approved. Next Nav update, Tesla picked up the change and now it uses the correct speed limit.

Thanks for the info. I’d never encountered this before and found it a bit shocking when the car accelerated very hard. I don’t think I was using FSD beta at the time. This was three months ago. I think I activated the regular cruise mode.

Curious what the process is to request updates from tomtom. That’s another bit of info I wasn’t aware of. (tomtom supply map data)

Thanks for the info. I’d never encountered this before and found it a bit shocking when the car accelerated very hard. I don’t think I was using FSD beta at the time. This was three months ago. I think I activated the regular cruise mode.

Curious what the process is to request updates from tomtom. That’s another bit of info I wasn’t aware of. (tomtom supply map data)

Create an account with TomTom, and then you can report issues. Their UI is atrocious though.

Reactions: DesmoDog
No offense, just keep an eye on it and manually lower the speed when in that area.

I’m going g to go back and see if it is still an issue. This is a super heavy tesla dense area so if someone is on FSD and the car decides to do 55 on this stretch that could be a real problem. Happy to report issues like this if possible. it’s not just me on that road.

Not offended, just makes helping harder. The windshield image is too blurry to tell. Is that the faux background blur made by cell phone cameras? Turn that off next time. There are roads around me that look like that (my guess thru the blur) where 55 is reasonable.

This is a neighborhood road. There is about 3 feet of clearance on each side. 25 is plenty fast. 55 would be insane.

I was on a one way road and i wasn’t going to stop in the street to make sure all the camera settings were perfect before snapping it.