Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone please answer me some questions about trade ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read many topics about trade-in my own vehicle for CPO tesla but still don't understand the whole process.
I have 35k BMW i want to trade for Model S.
So my understanding is this - Only AFTER placing my deposit i get to page where i choose to trade my veichle.
If i choose to do so then what?
When they will tell me how much their offer will be?
After days/weeks?
If i accept their offer is that final ?
If they offer me,lets say 30k for my car does it mean final price of my CPO Tesla will be deducted from the sale price by 30k automatically plus sales tax credit?
Im asking this because i have read somewhere that Tesla will send check for trade in later ,i dont understand why they would do that..
And finally if i accept their offer when they will take my vehicle? This is important to know because im using my car daily!
Thanx

My dad ordered a new Model 3 and he inquired about trading in his Fusion Hybrid to see what they would offer. Tesla gave him a ball park range of what his car could be worth, but they wouldn't commit to a value without seeing it in person. Instead of risking a low ball offer and being stuck with it (Tesla was over 4 hours away), he had me sell it for him. I was able to get him almost $500 over Tesla's upper range. My dad bought the Fusion new and kept it in nice shape so it was a very easy sell on Facebook market place. Keep in mind Tesla is in the business to make money, so what ever they do offer, it will be below retail book value. Good luck!

I traded my 2015 Yukon in for my Tesla.
Only after you’ve placed your deposit do you get to enter the trade information.
They gave me an estimate of what my trade was worth shortly after I placed my deposit.
I’m guessing this was a generic value based on Blue Book/BlackBook

You will he provided a link to a website where you will submit 5-6 photos of your trade. The final offer for my trade took around 3-4 days.

Tesla will match CarMax’s offer if it’s higher than theirs.

You trade your current car in when you pick up your Tesla. My sales advisor was so busy he didn’t even look at my trade. He just asked for my keys.

As an example they offered me 29k for my truck, I only owed 19k. So 10k was deducted from the price of my CPO.
Before you schedule a delivery date they will provide you with a final number that includes your trade in.

Hope this helps.

I have just gone through the trade in process where they gave me an initial offer for my BMW which sad to say does not hold their value very well with my high miles ( 56K ) on my 14' 435xi. I owe 25k, they offered me 19,400$. Ouch. I had to eat that. Regardless, i am still waiting on to see if that offer will even change based on my photos i sent back as it could be lower. Unfortunately, i cant do anything about it. I have put my deposit down, and got my loan aproval all ready to go. Al that is left now is to wait for final offer, and set up a pick up date.

Good luck!

If you're already talking to a Sales Advisor, the can run a quick trade-in value check for you. My SA did it for me that way I new how much I was coming out of pocket. Then after I made my deposit, I put in all the info for the trade-in on the "trade-in portal" my SA sent me. Couple days later you get a formal price on what they are offering. Mine happened to be about $800 less than they originally told me. I held firm on wanting more and they bumped it up the $800.