Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I use the Tesla UMC to charge my Chevy Volt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tomsax, my 75A J-1772 OpenEVSE works perfectly with my dual charger Model S (through the J-1772 to Model S adapter), whatever current I set the OpenEVSE to, the Model S shows as the maximum rate, Tesla is using a standard J-1772 pilot signal, no doubt about it.

I'm almost positive you could take the Tesla UMC apart, remove the Model S connector and replace it with a standard J-1772 head, and it would work perfectly, this would be a great solution for the California RAV4EV owners (who would love to have a 40A portable EVSE), it's just a little pricey at $650 for a replacement UMC (at the Tesla online store), then technically you would need to find a 40A rated J-1772 head, probably another $150 minimum. Of course you could recoup some of your money selling the special Tesla connector to OpenEVSE builders for probably the same $150 you paid for the J-1772 head... Wait, I think I just found a new business :) Where is "Ingeneer" (Phil Sadow) when you need him? This is something "evseupgrade.com" could offer.

I'm almost positive you could take the Tesla UMC apart, remove the Model S connector and replace it with a standard J-1772 head, and it would work perfectly...

Um, er... I have done exactly that and use it with my LEAF just fine.
Yes, the pilot signal is 'standard' and so with the right plug end, J1772 vehicles like it just fine.

Reactions: wesley888
With the UMC cost with tax and shipping at over $700, and a quality 40A J1772 handle on top, there's not much money to be made for the effort. If someone wants to pay me $950 for one, I'll do it. Anything else is not worth the time.

-Phil

So, TEG, want to sell your Model S connector? :). I have an OpenEVSE that would like it :)
I got a used UMC with a broken S plug so there is no opportunity there...

- - - Updated - - -

Care to provide a link to which J1772 nozzle you used? Any tips on how best to wire it up?
I used a 30amp rated blink plug and cable. It works fine for my LEAF, but would not be safe to use with 40 amp vehicles like RAV4EV, ModelS (using J1772 adapter), etc.
It is for my own use only with the LEAF.

Wiring was just L1, L2, ground, and pilot wire.

Giving this thread a bump as it would seem now that the Tesla patents have been open sourced that there might be more of an opportunity for an actual adapter, instead of the "cut and paste" method I'm seeing suggested in this and other older threads. This came to mind in a discussion of destination chargers and the benefits and draw backs of hotels and other destination owners opting to install a Tesla HPWC instead of a more general purpose J1772. See that discussion here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...tion-Chargers!?p=698596&viewfull=1#post698596

If Tesla donates a HPWC I'd imagine they'd want it for use in Teslas. You are right a J1772 (40+A) would be better for most though.
Yeah I'm sure your right. While I understand Tesla's reason for going to their own standard I'm not a big fan of this kind of industry standard fracturing in general. Tough nut to crack though for a company that likes to move fast like Tesla. Still, I figure if Tesla felt comfortable going the adapter route to maintain broad connect-ability why not do the same in reverse and help the other EV drivers out there?

I'll also cross post this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/14817-Model-S-to-Roadster-adapter which would seem to lay the ground work for the kind of adapter I'm thinking of. Kudos to Henry for all his hard work making life a little simpler for the real trail blazers in our community, the roadster owners!

Thank you! I've thought about making an adapter Model S -> J1772 connector. It has a number of potential stumbling blocks. The J1772 end would need to be rated for 80A which is not an easy undertaking. You can't prevent someone from using it with an HPWC. It would require custom injection molds which are very costly for low volume production.

Thank you! I've thought about making an adapter Model S -> J1772 connector. It has a number of potential stumbling blocks. The J1772 end would need to be rated for 80A which is not an easy undertaking. You can't prevent someone from using it with an HPWC. It would require custom injection molds which are very costly for low volume production.
Yeah it probably doesn't make a ton of sense right now and doesn't hold much benefit for most people on this forum but some enterprising Leaf, i3, volt, etc. owner out there might be interested if the HPWC install base reaches a critical mass, or they happen to be in a location where it would be convenient. I'll have to talk to my buddy at work who is a Leaf owner and see what he thinks.

As for the current, Are there any other EV's that could even utilize the full 80A? I know Leafs and volts are under 10kW for their on board chargers. I'm sure you've thought of this already but in theory you could set the pilot signal in the can such that it indicated a lower current than was actually available. Not an ideal solution obviously from a safety standpoint unless you had fusing or some other type of over current protection in the can itself.

Last edited:

The upper end of available J1772 connectors seems to 75 amps. The HPWC does have dip switch settings to turn down the maximum charge current to a 90 amp breaker which would be a charge rate of 72amps.

Find someone with a 3d printer and source the necessary receptacle sockets for the pins.

The upper end of available J1772 connectors seems to 75 amps. The HPWC does have dip switch settings to turn down the maximum charge current to a 90 amp breaker which would be a charge rate of 72amps.

Find someone with a 3d printer and source the necessary receptacle sockets for the pins.

I know Henry Discussed this in the other thread, but because of operating temperature limits, 3D printed material isn't ideal for this application for volume production. 3D printing feed-stock that would work for this application (mostly ABS plastics) just don't have that high of a temp rating. For prototyping sure, but not something you would sell to the general public. Not a 3D printing expert though so maybe there are materials out now that could do the job.

There are at least two companies making 80A J1772 connectors but they won't sell them unless you buy the whole charging station.

I'm not aware of any 3D printer that can produce high-temperature tolerant plastic parts. The material needs to dissipate heat well and have a low coefficient of expansion. The parts have to take a lot of stress and they always get hot at 70+ amps.

edit: oops didn't see Paco and Cotton already answered this...

Giving this thread a bump as I just leased a 2017 Volt to accompany my classic model S. Any progress on an adaptor so I can use the Tesla charger to also charge the Volt?
The company called Quick Charge Power was working on one. I don't know if they have it completed yet. Here is the product page for it, but it says "out of stock". I think that may just be code for "it's still not done yet". You could call or email them to ask.
JDapter.QuickChargePower.com