Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I replace my M3 HV Battery with one with a different Part number?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not too knowledgeable on 3/Y models but in S/X world, performance packs are slightly different
So if u get a pack from performance version, u should be fine. Only software re-deploy is needed for the same type of pack
If u get different pack, u need to change gateway config i believe (not 100% sure)

Upvote 0
I'm not too knowledgeable on 3/Y models but in S/X world, performance packs are slightly different
So if u get a pack from performance version, u should be fine. Only software re-deploy is needed for the same type of pack
If u get different pack, u need to change gateway config i believe (not 100% sure)
Thank you Brianhouston! I will look into it further. That's very helpful and I appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Ok, for tesla 3 and y, doing a re-deploy after pack replacement will cause major problems (Learned that the hard way on my own car). DO NOT DO A RE-DEPLOY on model 3 and y. Pack replacement is a seperate procedure.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
Ok, for tesla 3 and y, doing a re-deploy after pack replacement will cause major problems (Learned that the hard way on my own car). DO NOT DO A RE-DEPLOY on model 3 and y. Pack replacement is a seperate procedure.

Also, doing a pack replacement properly requires a lot of special tools.
Can u elaborate n educate everyone please?

Upvote 0
Ok, when doing pack replacement, there are special plugs that you can use to prevent draining the entire car of coolant. Bc if you just unplug the coolant lines, coolant may drain out of the DI, aka you gotta vacuum fill it, and bleeding the cooling system will take more time, and you risk dumping a butt load of coolant over the floor, basically, a pain in the ass if you don't have the special tool. Also, various pressure test fixtures to ensure that the pack is air/water tight, and adapters to drain the old pack of coolant. Most important is the various installation tools. Makes your life 100x easier when installing the hv pack. The reason for no software re-deploy is bc there are certain aspects of the pack that the computer has to know about (wont go into that, very complicated.), when you "Redeploy", the firmware is just updating the config in the module, and the module doesn't actually provide any info to the car. The pack replacement procedure tells the computer about various info about the pack (Cycles, Current calculated capacity, age, battery balance, stuff about the PCS, HV controller, and various other bms variables.) If these are not updated with the new pack, you will get inaccurate range calculation, and in general, odd car behavior. The only reason i know about this is bc i made this mistake on my own car here in Ontario. By the way, T35LA Fan, if you are interested, if you don't want/need your old damaged battery, i do battery replacements here in Ontario for much less than the service center if you purchase your own pack. If you are interested, feel free to pm me.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
Ok, when doing pack replacement, there are special plugs that you can use to prevent draining the entire car of coolant. Bc if you just unplug the coolant lines, coolant may drain out of the DI, aka you gotta vacuum fill it, and bleeding the cooling system will take more time, and you risk dumping a butt load of coolant over the floor, basically, a pain in the ass if you don't have the special tool. Also, various pressure test fixtures to ensure that the pack is air/water tight, and adapters to drain the old pack of coolant. Most important is the various installation tools. Makes your life 100x easier when installing the hv pack. The reason for no software re-deploy is bc there are certain aspects of the pack that the computer has to know about (wont go into that, very complicated.), when you "Redeploy", the firmware is just updating the config in the module, and the module doesn't actually provide any info to the car. The pack replacement procedure tells the computer about various info about the pack (Cycles, Current calculated capacity, age, battery balance, stuff about the PCS, HV controller, and various other bms variables.) If these are not updated with the new pack, you will get inaccurate range calculation, and in general, odd car behavior. The only reason i know about this is bc i made this mistake on my own car here in Ontario. By the way, T35LA Fan, if you are interested, if you don't want/need your old damaged battery, i do battery replacements here in Ontario for much less than the service center if you purchase your own pack. If you are interested, feel free to pm me.
Well, for coolant/install special tools sounds more like suggestion to me, nice to have but doable without, ppl done worse lol

Regarding software, sure, swapped pack will have old data in it, im sure the BMS will re-learn..
The big question is did car drive before re-deploy? will it drive after?..

I know with S/X, its not gonna drive till u re-deploy (firmware diff) and it will after, everything else is secondary...

Upvote 0
Well, for coolant/install special tools sounds more like suggestion to me, nice to have but doable without, ppl done worse lol

Regarding software, sure, swapped pack will have old data in it, im sure the BMS will re-learn..
The big question is did car drive before re-deploy? will it drive after?..

I know with S/X, its not gonna drive till u re-deploy (firmware diff) and it will after, everything else is secondary
The bms is in the pack. The bms is aware of the condition of the pack, but the main computer doesn't. The HV pack procedure forces the main computer to relearn/recalibrate this. Same thing with 3/y car will not run till u run the hv pack relearn/replacement procedure.

Upvote 0
The bms is in the pack. The bms is aware of the condition of the pack, but the main computer doesn't. The HV pack procedure forces the main computer to relearn/recalibrate this. Same thing with 3/y car will not run till u run the hv pack relearn/replacement procedure.
This is new to me if true...
But, there's been confirmed cases on S forum of pack swap with just re-deploy.
Maybe 3/Y are different beasts...

Upvote 0