Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I drive my Tesla in Italian ZTL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I drive a UK electric car in an Italian ZTL area? Going to Italy in the summer and heading into some cities like Pisa. I see some cities have a restricted area called a ZTL. According to google electric cars are allowed in a ZTL, but do I need to somehow register my registration for this to ensure I am not fined?

Good luck with the red tape trying to register.

Have a look here and this is for the locals, it's as if they make it difficult on purpose. Every Municipality has a different set of rules and way of doing things. The permits are more expensive than buses too. The only other way around it is to stay at a hotel in the zone and then the hotel will register you.

I'd avoid city centres altogether, in fact i avoid Italy for a number of reasons.

Last edited:
Ahh. Thanks! Ok, maybe I will find a hotel outside the ZTL! Bureaucracy can be interesting in Italy so I will try and avoid. Lots of things to love about Italy too though. Driven there plenty of times in an ICE without issue. Or am I missing something? 😊