Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Gen 3 Wall connector charge non Tesla brand EVs in Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just became a two EV household, with a Model 3 and a new Volvo XC40 Recharge. Unfortunately the Gen 2 wall connector that came with the Model 3 doesn't support non Tesla vehicles so I need to replace it with something that does. My options appear to be to upgrade to the Gen 3 wall connector or install some other brand of type 2 evse. My preference is for the Gen 3 because I want something that will do power sharing so I can install a second unit on the same circuit if sharing a plug becomes an issue, it also looks better than most of the other options.

I'm aware that the Gen 3 has an access control setting to support non Tesla vehicles as a destination charger, but I haven't found any reports of people actually testing this with other vehicles in Australia yet. Has anyone tried a non Tesla vehicle on a Gen 3 charger in Australia so I can get an idea if this is even worth trying? I don't want to upgrade to the Gen 3 only to find out that the feature doesn't work yet and I need to replace it with something else. I already tried the service centre at Southport but unfortunately they don't have one installed on site to test.

Can anyone confirm this feature of the Gen 3 currently works in Australia?

It's still fairly new and not in any public points afaik so I don't believe I've seen any commentary.

The Gen2 chargers that were set to legacy mode by the switch were a bit hut and miss.
Have you tried the Dip2 down inside your Gen2/and or plugging in and waiting 30 seconds where I had read some units will switch to legacy mode.

Otherwise I can only suggest trying to find someone with a Gen3 that might allow you to test your XC40

It's still fairly new and not in any public points afaik so I don't believe I've seen any commentary.

The Gen2 chargers that were set to legacy mode by the switch were a bit hut and miss.
Have you tried the Dip2 down inside your Gen2/and or plugging in and waiting 30 seconds where I had read some units will switch to legacy mode.

Otherwise I can only suggest trying to find someone with a Gen3 that might allow you to test your XC40
I have tested my gen 2 with the dip switch set to legacy and the Volvo just gives the error. I spoke to Tesla support about it and they confirmed that the early gen 2 units that shipped with the model S and X supported legacy mode, but the model 3 supplied units were locked.

I have tried my gen 2 charger that I got with my Model S, 3 years ago, and it has failed to charge an XC40 Recharge demonstrator (I've got one on order). After getting the right tool to access the front cover, I have switched it to 'legacy mode', but it still fails. So, I guess I will try Tesla and my dealer will try Volvo Australia to see if we can get things working.

I'd rather not have to buy a new charger, although maybe the Gen3 would be the go.

I have tried my gen 2 charger that I got with my Model S, 3 years ago, and it has failed to charge an XC40 Recharge demonstrator (I've got one on order). After getting the right tool to access the front cover, I have switched it to 'legacy mode', but it still fails. So, I guess I will try Tesla and my dealer will try Volvo Australia to see if we can get things working.

I'd rather not have to buy a new charger, although maybe the Gen3 would be the go.

Something like this might come in handy if it wasn't so damn expensive (and in stock!). Allows legacy connection on any Tesla Gen 2 HPWC / destination charger. And I assume Gen 3 ones set to 'Tesla only'.

Here is a photo of my charger. Is the revision number 03 then ?
EC07416F-CA0B-4987-BC61-61311C8ED656.jpeg

Any updates on this?

im about to install a charger, need to decide between third part like ocular, or a hen 3 tesla, which is cheaper.

however expect to have other EVs in the near future and don’t want to have to splurge for a different charger

Any updates on this?

im about to install a charger, need to decide between third part like ocular, or a hen 3 tesla, which is cheaper.

however expect to have other EVs in the near future and don’t want to have to splurge for a different charger
This other thread has someone from Perth reporting success charging the Kona with a Gen 3, and later someone from France says it works with the Renault Zoe.

Success with Gen3 Tesla Wall Charger!

Electrician installed it this morning and I managed to grab the Volvo XC40 Recharge to test it. I managed to get 15 out of 16 amps on 3 phases - I assume I couldn’t get the last amp due to SOC at 93%.

I configured the charger using the phone web page connection to ‘charge all vehicles’, trying my Model 3 first with success, then did the test with the XC40.

This Gen3 charger looks even more attractive than Gen2. At $780 plus instal cost, seems like a no-brainer for all EV’s.

F4FD2EBF-31D5-48E2-95DC-2F7F83A81BB0.jpeg
DB3C8E52-E62D-4062-8D2D-945638EFDE09.jpeg
2B18C9CA-8C8E-44DF-8915-15C354FF23FD.jpeg

They knew I have had 2 Teslas, so it was a moot point.

Instead, I’ve suggested they put forward to prospective Volvo owners a Tesla Gen3 due to cost and look.

I will ask another person I know who has a Volvo on order too.

The reality is, they don’t know much about EV’s yet. The learning curve for dealers looks pretty steep to me. They should channel the knowledge held by people on this forum!

Hi Everyone ,
did anyone try charging their MG ZS EV 2020 car? with Gen 3 charger.
Bit disappointed for misleading info on Tesla Gen 3 charger I.e it can charge all cars.
I got mine installed to charge my MG ZS EV 2020 model, but it stays in solid blue.
I have got the latest firmware 21.36.5 and set it to all cars. No luck :(
I could not find any Australian support number.

Hi Everyone ,
did anyone try charging their MG ZS EV 2020 car? with Gen 3 charger.
Bit disappointed for misleading info on Tesla Gen 3 charger I.e it can charge all cars.
I got mine installed to charge my MG ZS EV 2020 model, but it stays in solid blue.
I have got the latest firmware 21.36.5 and set it to all cars. No luck :(
I could not find any Australian support number.
Sounds like the car might be fussy with the Gen 3 charger

Reactions: Ozee