Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very unlikely. EV sales are gaining more percentage of total car sales every year, and HOV lanes in general are getting pretty clogged up (atleast in my state of CA) from the additional EV/Zero Emission vehicles.
Normally I would agree but CA wanting to ban gas vehicles by 2035 means they will need to continue incentivizing people to switch to non-gas vehicles.

If\when there is a republican governor, there's a high chance the incentives (CAV decal) get reduced\paused\removed. And currently there's a state budget deficiency that you have to factor in.

2024 election and state budget will likely determine what happens with the CAV decal beyond 2025.

2024 election result outcome:

Democratic governor and state budget deficiency or surplus = CAV decal gets renewed and 2035 ban on gas vehicles remains

Republican governor and state budget deficiency = CAV decal likely does not get renewed and kick the can down the road about the 2035 ban on gas vehicles

Normally I would agree but CA wanting to ban gas vehicles by 2035 means they will need to continue incentivizing people to switch to non-gas vehicles.

If\when there is a republican governor, there's a high chance the incentives (CAV decal) get reduced\paused\removed. And currently there's a state budget deficiency that you have to factor in.

2024 election and state budget will likely determine what happens with the CAV decal beyond 2025.

2024 election result outcome:

Democratic governor and state budget deficiency or surplus = CAV decal gets renewed and 2035 ban on gas vehicles remains

Republican governor and state budget deficiency = CAV decal likely does not get renewed and kick the can down the road about the 2035 ban on gas vehicles
I highly doubt they extend the CAV decal program for EVs. Maybe for FCVs, but EVs are far too numerous already and are clogging up the HOV lanes. They aren't "special" enough because they've gone mainstream.

I just spoke to the DMV for a car bought in Dec 2022, and Tesla has yet to submit the forms. They did post the fees. My temp plate expires in 2 weeks. WTF Tesla.
If the plate actually expires, I would park my car outside the police or sheriff's station and ask them to ticket me just so I could have standing to sue Tesla for damages and then run to the media (something like "NBC Bay Area Investigations" or "7 On Your Side") with the story.

If the plate actually expires, I would park my car outside the police or sheriff's station and ask them to ticket me just so I could have standing to sue Tesla for damages and then run to the media (something like "NBC Bay Area Investigations" or "7 On Your Side") with the story.
Heh, might not be a bad idea but seems like Tesla has really good lawyers.

Spoke to Tesla and they said just wait and call back next week. They said they do not issue new temporary plates. I said I'm almost certain I will not get my plates by the end of the month and asked what I am supposed to do and she said call back next week. (not her problem that way).

1 thing the Tesla rep said was that lots of people who bought at that time (year end rush) are starting to get their plates and they can email me the registration once it's available.

My plates expire very soon too. I don't look forward to this task of contacting Tesla and the dmv. Reading this thread i guess I should call Tesla right. I flew to the Fremont location to pick up my car from socal
Go to your local store to ask, you don't have to go back to your delivery store necessarily, other stores should still be able to check if Tesla received and submitted your DMV documents.

Reactions: uks123
After you try to work with Tesla customer service (888-518-3752) or your local sales team and you feel that nothing is being accomplished.

1678894014290.png

• Informative
Reactions: uks123 and mgs333
Heh, might not be a bad idea but seems like Tesla has really good lawyers.

Spoke to Tesla and they said just wait and call back next week. They said they do not issue new temporary plates. I said I'm almost certain I will not get my plates by the end of the month and asked what I am supposed to do and she said call back next week. (not her problem that way).

1 thing the Tesla rep said was that lots of people who bought at that time (year end rush) are starting to get their plates and they can email me the registration once it's available.
I don't know if AAA can give you plates, but the DMV can definitely issue you new plates and hand them to you right on the spot. Yeah, who the F wants to go to the DMV, but that is a solution.

• Helpful
Reactions: chobra
DMV can stamp out plates and hand them to you in office same day now a days?
If they hand out metal plates, they must have a supply in stock.

The metal plates are made in Folsom State Prison.

I think the point is they don't stamp them there, they just assign you a plate that was pre-stamped that they grab off the shelf. If you are doing a custom plate however, obviously this process would be different.
Exactly. I did this several times, including just a few months ago when I bought a car from out of state and had to go to the DMV to register it. They pulled an envelope of plates out of a drawer, assigned it to my car and handed them over to me. They keep a steady supply of random plates on hand.
I do not know if AAA has plates on hand. I think they do not.
Anyway, if you are truly in danger of having your tags expire, just head to the DMV and I think they will get you plates now.

• Helpful
Reactions: chobra
So far I haven’t bothered with my Real ID myself. Don’t see any reason to. But I guess if you’re there and it does t add another hour or two to the visit.
Not until 2025 at least, but after that remember to bring your passport when you fly even domestically if you don't have REAL ID

And apparently when entering a nuclear plant, someone remind Homer Simpson

1678993279980.png