Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calif. HOV stickers for cars applying 1st time for program (in 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Having recently taken delivery of my new Model 3, which will sometimes be used on the highway in the HOV lanes, I was wondering whether it made sense to apply now for the remaining time left in 2018 or wait for a new program sticker for 2019 and get a full year out of the new program. Found this on the Calif. Air Resources Board site ( https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm ):

"NEW STICKER PROGRAM - APPLICATIONS NOT YET AVAILABLE

Qualifying vehicles that were not issued a green, white, or red decal prior to January 1, 2019, will be eligible for a new Clean Air Vehicle decal starting in January 2019. These decals will expire January 1, 2023. Information regarding the color, application date, and application process are not yet available."

The current Red stickers expire January 1, 2022, so I'm thinking for us it's worth waiting to apply. We have another vehicle with current stickers--just renewed to get the red--so probably worth the wait in case the red stickers won't be extended beyond 2022.

Yes I think no brainer. I have been waiting since september. I assume the new ones will be a different color, otherwise would be hard to distinguish from the red ones for their expiration dates. If I knew the lead time for processing I would apply in December making sure it's "issued" in January, but to be safe I'm just going to apply Jan 1st.

Yes I think no brainer. I have been waiting since september. I assume the new ones will be a different color, otherwise would be hard to distinguish from the red ones for their expiration dates. If I knew the lead time for processing I would apply in December making sure it's "issued" in January, but to be safe I'm just going to apply Jan 1st.

I plan to postmark and date the check on or after 1/1/19--not taking any chances.

There is no law requiring people or businesses to honor a post dated check.
Once a check is written, the recipient can immediately cash it regardless of the date written on it.

Understood--I did not plan to mail it now or anytime well before 1/1/19. I plan to mail it in 12/28 or thereafter, so that it hits their desk after 1/1/19. I just want to be sure that the check is dated 1/1/19.

so question: A friend of mine is considering a model 3 - she is under the impression Ca HOV status for single drivers sticker is only good for 3 years after the car is purchased, so she is under the impression that she will need to buy another car or 3 year lease to keep HOV single driver commuter status? Is this the case?

My model S purchased feb 2017 - I've already gotten the red renewal stickers so I'll be > 3 yrs this feb and still able to drive. Are fully electric cars exempt? (i.e. will they phase it out for teslas > 3 yrs ?)

so question: A friend of mine is considering a model 3 - she is under the impression Ca HOV status for single drivers sticker is only good for 3 years after the car is purchased, so she is under the impression that she will need to buy another car or 3 year lease to keep HOV single driver commuter status? Is this the case?

My model S purchased feb 2017 - I've already gotten the red renewal stickers so I'll be > 3 yrs this feb and still able to drive. Are fully electric cars exempt? (i.e. will they phase it out for teslas > 3 yrs ?)
If you apply in 2019 you will get 3 years plus the balance of 2019. Get the new stickers in Jan and you are good for close to 4 years,

Reactions: cybergates
California HOV sticker policy is fluid, and hanging on by the skin of it's teeth.

Lots of pressure to get clean vehicles off the HOV lanes, as there are so many of them now and they are clogging up the lanes and slowing them down.

Movement to get back to their original intent of transporting more than one occupant. Probably will be going up to requiring 3 people for many of the busier lanes.

When the HOV lanes get slowed down by volume, Federal $$s are at stake, so the States need to keep them free flowing.

Little matter when you buy your red sticker. Police will be unable to tell exactly when they are due to expire. My white stickers have no expiration date, but will go out of date EOY.

State surveys say that most all the HOV congestion is caused by solo drivers traveling in them illegally. Seems that the enforcement is not enough to disuade people from jumping into them when ever the regular lanes slow down. Also lots of Front BC (Mexico) places are allowed to use them as they wish, as there is no way to enforce it on non USA drivers.

Expect the rules to change again in the future. Ultimate plan is to convert all the HOV lanes to toll lanes with automatic readers, so everyone using them will be charged a fee.

Use them while you can.

Colors do not change yearly, but as policy changes.

Yellow is gone.
Green good till EOY.
White good till the end of the year.
Red should be good till 2022, unless Federal regulations consider the HOV lanes in your state to be too congested.

Too many people using the HOV lanes are causing them to lose effectiveness. States will need to enforce their use, or lose the Federal funds that build and maintain them.

Right now, HOV lanes can be used with multiple occupants (pregnant women do not count as two, or people with dummies in the other seat). Police can use them, EVs can use them, Hybrids can use them. Plug in Hybrids can use them, busses can use them, Military can use them, Government vehicles can use them, Ambulances can use them, People late for something can use them (if they are not caught...few get caught) Work crews can use them, Emergency workers can use them, Politicians can use them. Anyone can use them in an emergency if directed by Police, Motorcycles can use them, Etc.

Colors do not change yearly, but as policy changes.
The text on the CA ARB web page suggest that they may introduce a new color in Jan 2019. The other option is that they will keep the red stickers and exchange those that are issued after January for another color in 2022, just like they did this year with white stickers issued in 2017 or later.

I agree that there are too many cheaters and too little enforcement. But here in the Bay area many HOV lanes are being converted to express lanes that can only be used with a transponder, which makes identification of cheaters much easier for the CHP, because they can flag cars that claim free access by reading the transponder and only check those cars (registered EVs could even be recognized automatically by also reading the license plates similar to how it works on toll bridges).

Dredging up an old thread here as it seems appropriate.... Does anyone know if an out of state owner can get the CA sticker? I come to CA very regularly and would like to use the HOV lanes. I don't see any method for an out of stater to get one. Suppose I can order fakes online....lol...

• Disagree
Reactions: AlexHung