Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An idea for those with vehicles that have expiring stickers... if someone was to purchase a used Tesla from outside of California (for example, a Model 3, or older 2014 Tesla Model S), which has previously has not received a sticker in California, would that car be eligible for a sticker on or after Jan 1, 2019?

Reactions: gaswalla
I'm fine with the new sticker color being purple. I did name my car Megatron. :D

Now it makes sense why I submitted my application in September and they will not be sending me the sticker until January. At least I'll get a full 3 years worth.

I'm fine with the new sticker color being purple. I did name my car Megatron. :D

Now it makes sense why I submitted my application in September and they will not be sending me the sticker until January. At least I'll get a full 3 years worth.

You applied for a sticker in September and they said nope - you get it in Jan? Could you please share a dmv letter if you got one explaining this?

An idea for those with vehicles that have expiring stickers... if someone was to purchase a used Tesla from outside of California (for example, a Model 3, or older 2014 Tesla Model S), which has previously has not received a sticker in California, would that car be eligible for a sticker on or after Jan 1, 2019?

I’ve contemplated this, but how do you ensure it’s never been registered? Is there a lookup?

You applied for a sticker in September and they said nope - you get it in Jan? Could you please share a dmv letter if you got one explaining this?
I didn't receive a letter. After seeing the DMV cashing the check I sent them and not receiving the stickers for over a month, I called them and they told me my application was fine but they will not be sending out the stickers until January.

I didn't receive a letter. After seeing the DMV cashing the check I sent them and not receiving the stickers for over a month, I called them and they told me my application was fine but they will not be sending out the stickers until January.

They are being really nice to you. It would suck to get a red sticker in mid November and lose a whole year.

They really ought to integrate this into the fastTrak transponder...
- which I know is a Bay Area thing... but we ought to have a state wide transponder...
- then you could just register a compliant vehicle and your transponder would include that on anything that pinged it...

This is one of things that reminds me that Silicon Valley is in a different decade than Sacramento...

I mean, the new express lane transponders already have # of occupant settings, I leave mine on '3' in the 3, as that's HOV. But I don't drive anywhere near express lanes. Obviously the stickers are so cops can identify you, they're not meant for the FasTrak system.

Not feeling so bad about the red sticker on the red car now :) Who knows what I'll be doing in 2022 or whenever the red stickers expire. *shrug*
I didn't realize I could wait and get an extra 9 months of sticker time, but I'm definitely not regretting it. that's way off.

I mean, the new express lane transponders already have # of occupant settings, I leave mine on '3' in the 3, as that's HOV. But I don't drive anywhere near express lanes. Obviously the stickers are so cops can identify you, they're not meant for the FasTrak system.

Not feeling so bad about the red sticker on the red car now :) Who knows what I'll be doing in 2022 or whenever the red stickers expire. *shrug*
I didn't realize I could wait and get an extra 9 months of sticker time, but I'm definitely not regretting it. that's way off.
you might not gain anything over someone who waited. However I'm going to wait it out because dinner it's 1/2 way through November and i don't even have the car back from service. I think they usually expire several years of cars at once, just depends on the cutoff date they pick.

Last edited:
you might not Hain anything over someone who waited. However I'm going to wait it out because dinner it's 1/2 way through November and i don't even have the car back from service. I think they usually expire several years of cars at once, just depends on the cutoff date they pick.
The website says red expires 1/1/2022 and light purple expires 1/1/2023. Is this not accurate?

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner
Black goes with everything...

except lavender. :(

Black and Lavender is very chic!
TMHK_Wedding-Setup-2015_Miraculous-Black-White_1.jpg

I’ve contemplated this, but how do you ensure it’s never been registered? Is there a lookup?
I am in this situation now except car was originally purchased in CA and I am In CA as well . I purchased my 2014 P85D from my boss (he never purchased any HOV sticker) I just sent in my $22 last week in hopes I can get the red sticker. Ill update once I have an answer or if anyone knows if I will actually get the red or any HOV sticker please advise. I need this sticker as I drive about 100 miles round trip daily.

I just received and installed the red stickers on my red Model 3. Seeing as how there will be a purple sticker soon available with an additional year of HOV eligibility, I’m crossing my fingers that the DMV will allow red sticker owners who received stickers on or after 1/1/18 the ability to eventually receive the purple stickers (similar to how the DMV offers green/white sticker owners who received their stickers on or after 1/1/17 the ability to receive a red sticker: Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage).

I just received and installed the red stickers on my red Model 3. Seeing as how there will be a purple sticker soon available with an additional year of HOV eligibility, I’m crossing my fingers that the DMV will allow red sticker owners who received stickers on or after 1/1/18 the ability to eventually receive the purple stickers (similar to how the DMV offers green/white sticker owners who received their stickers on or after 1/1/17 the ability to receive a red sticker: Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage).
lol are you serious?

• Disagree
Reactions: Reid
According to the DMV newsletter the color will change every year now, so you just have to wait long enough (while watching the other cars whizz by on the HOV lane). ;)

Almost everything is better than the bright red abomination we have now (if you don't have a red car) ...

Abomination is when people can't put the stickers on properly. I have seen sticker applied vertically right next to the license plate. Seriously, if you can not even follow the simple instruction with illustration for apply stickers on your car, you should not be driving on the road.