Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Model S through a VAT registered UK business.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went and had a test drive of a Model S yesterday, as I have a Model 3 reservation and wanted to see what all the hype was about. The bottom line is that I am now seriously looking at buying a brand new 60D MS, with AWD, next gen leather and Pano roof.

The cost is £61,300 (+380 delivery fee). Normally I would buy the car on finance and then pay for it through my mileage allowance (£7000 per annum on 20,000 miles). It will be used for 100% business as I have access to another car for private use if I ever need it.
At the moment, my company is not VAT registered, as I just see it as another paperwork headache, however, if I could lose the £11,000 of VAT then that would persuade me to register. I have a mix of both domestic and VAT registered clients, so where I would have to swallow the VAT on the domestic side, I can recover a bit on the registered businesses.

Where do I stand on this?

Thanks for any help

disclaimer: I am not an accountant.

If your business isn't VAT registered today, I'm guessing your turnover is less than £150k per year? If that's the case, the VAT Flat Rate Scheme - GOV.UK may work well for you - depends on your company's expenditure whether you win or lose on that scheme. It does allow you to reclaim the full VAT on one-off capital purchases.

You'll need to look into the BIK implications too, which are pretty good for EVs.

I recommend you talk to your accountant to work out the best option for your business.

Reactions: nexsuperne101