Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a 2023 Model Y OEM Hitch from Ebay and getting installed by Tesla .Thoughts ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They said they can do it for 165$
This sounds way too low. More like the price for them to install the square hitch into an existing tow bar or something. To get working lights you would also need to buy and install the trailer lights ECU which I'm sure will cost several hundred more. Installation of the ECU is very easy though as the connector is already in position (at least it is on the 3 anyway).

This sounds way too low. More like the price for them to install the square hitch into an existing tow bar or something. To get working lights you would also need to buy and install the trailer lights ECU which I'm sure will cost several hundred more. Installation of the ECU is very easy though as the connector is already in position (at least it is on the 3 anyway).
Is the trailer lights ecu the LH body control module?

I am still searching for information on whether the tow mode must be enabled by Tesla or if it automatically detects an OEM harness is plugged in and a tow-mode option shows up. Tesla charges too much to retrofit so I want to get a used OEM from eBay and install it myself. If the tow mode will not show up for the DYI OEM part, there is no point to buy a used OEM part.

I am still searching for information on whether the tow mode must be enabled by Tesla or if it automatically detects an OEM harness is plugged in and a tow-mode option shows up. Tesla charges too much to retrofit so I want to get a used OEM from eBay and install it myself. If the tow mode will not show up for the DYI OEM part, there is no point to buy a used OEM part.
What do you need tow mode for? From what I understand it doesn't offer much if anything it's annoying

I believe it has to be enabled by the SC, but the best way to find out for sure is to drive to your nearest one and ask.

I believe it has to be enabled by the SC, but the best way to find out for sure is to drive to your nearest one and ask.
this guy said he did not have to do anything.

it just worked after he installs the OEM hitch and harness. I am not sure who to believe.

I don’t see how Tow Mode is worth anything by itself. It’s great that it disables the reverse sensors, but how much of the time is spent in Reverse? It also disables autopilot, but those are the only things I’ve noticed.

I wouldn’t care either way. For me, it was all about OEM fit, finish, and installation. If I could have gotten that by sourcing the hitch elsewhere for less, I’d be all over it.

I don’t see how Tow Mode is worth anything by itself. It’s great that it disables the reverse sensors, but how much of the time is spent in Reverse? It also disables autopilot, but those are the only things I’ve noticed.

I wouldn’t care either way. For me, it was all about OEM fit, finish, and installation. If I could have gotten that by sourcing the hitch elsewhere for less, I’d be all over it.
Probably depends on what you are connecting to the hitch. If you're towing a heavy trailer nerfing some of the "smart" avoidance features is probably a good thing. If you are just using a bike rack it doesn't really matter.

In addition to the parking sensors the manual states trailer mode does the following:
  • Traffic-Aware Cruise Control increases the following distance from the vehicle in front of you.
  • Side collision warnings are active but automatic steering interventions are disabled.
  • The braking force provided by Automatic Emergency Braking (see Collision Avoidance Assist) may be limited. Therefore, stopping distance may increase.

Probably depends on what you are connecting to the hitch. If you're towing a heavy trailer nerfing some of the "smart" avoidance features is probably a good thing. If you are just using a bike rack it doesn't really matter.

In addition to the parking sensors the manual states trailer mode does the following:
  • Traffic-Aware Cruise Control increases the following distance from the vehicle in front of you.
  • Side collision warnings are active but automatic steering interventions are disabled.
  • The braking force provided by Automatic Emergency Braking (see Collision Avoidance Assist) may be limited. Therefore, stopping distance may increase.

I pull right at the limit with a 3,500-lb boat. Maybe I’ll switch it off next time I pull to see if it makes any noticeable difference.

I pull right at the limit with a 3,500-lb boat. Maybe I’ll switch it off next time I pull to see if it makes any noticeable difference.
I think 99.9% of time it's not going to make a difference. It's really about protecting outlier cases. I've had AEB activate in my M3 (not towing) a couple of times in what I would call an overreaction by the car. If that were to happen at full strength while towing it could quickly turn into a very bad day.

I think 99.9% of time it's not going to make a difference. It's really about protecting outlier cases. I've had AEB activate in my M3 (not towing) a couple of times in what I would call an overreaction by the car. If that were to happen at full strength while towing it could quickly turn into a very bad day.

I just don’t see it. I’ve pulled trailers most of my life that weighed between 400-62,000 lbs. If the combination can’t handle full brake application without losing control, something is very wrong.

Most cars and trucks sold today have AEB, and they sometimes misfire. I’ve heard of people getting rear-ended by tailgaters, but I haven’t heard of it causing a loss-of-control with or without a trailer. I’m not saying it‘s impossible, but it’s probably not a risk worth worrying about.

Reactions: gt2690b
You might need this. I believe I do

The car seems to detect the OEM computer being connected but it shows an orange caravan light which I believe indicates that tow mode is not activated despite a trailer being detected. As for why you'd do it - it greatly simplifies sorting out the lights as no cutting or intercepting is required. Its literally plug and play. More reliable I think than an aftermarket option.

Reactions: laservet
Is the trailer lights ecu the LH body control module?
No, at least on a 2021 Shanghai 3 its a separate ECU that plugs directly into the harness under the rear bumper. It has an output plug as well which holds a short tail into which you can plug the trailer plug. At least thats how it works on the Euro/Aus vehicles - I believe we have a different trailer wiring approach to the USA.