Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy or pass?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a deposit on a model 3 performance. It checks all the boxes however an issue popped up right before sale and now I'm questioning how to proceed.

About a month ago the owner had an issue in which he was getting "low power" warnings. Long story short the service center had to replace the "penthouse harness". He was upfront about this and I was OK with it, so I proceeded to put a deposit on the vehicle.

The day we were set to close the sale the owner was driving the car and the error popped up again, and this time the car shut down completely, leaving him stranded.

Now it's back at Tesla a second time, awaiting diagnosis.

Is this a sign the to walk? I hate to be hasty and walk away if it's something that can be fixed once and for all. But at the same time I'm not trying to inherit anyone's headaches.

I'm assuming Tesla wouldn't be so quick to offer a "buy back" if I bought the car, not being the original owner.

Curious to other view points.

Also why is this guy selling the vehicle?

Not all the Model 3 sellers have a hidden agenda but I do notice a lot of them selling the 3 after a few months of ownership mainly because of the harsh ride quality and noisy interior. These two reasons keep coming up. Not necessarily related to the OP but maybe he'd like to look into a few year old S for the same $.

I guess all this is kind of unnerving. Due to the fact that if your car has issues like this, you're looking at a giant loss. Seems fairly ridiculous on a brand new car.

So now this guy is going to get hammered on selling this car through no fault of his own. Pretty unfortunate.

Guess my search continues. :(

:

"It Is an electric car with electrical problems."
Well not many other problems it could be but electrical lol

Doing some digging there seems to be quite a few people who've had this harness replaced and it seemed minor. However, since it's round 2, definitely is more concerning.

I knew the answer to this already, I suppose. Just needed a bunch of people to tell me.
Also why is this guy selling the vehicle?
Moving to NYC and won't need a car. He's been extremely transparent.

Unless the deal was stellar, I’d pass too. I’m sure he’d be able to sell to someone else as there are people lined up for 3s. There will always be other deals (perhaps not quite as good), but without some known problems.
The deal isn't great. More so it's a low mile car, in my preferred exterior/interior combo, and looks extremely clean.

I'm less looking for a "deal" and more just looking for a clean car, with low miles, private party so I can avoid tax.

I am close to just ordering a new one at this point.

The deal isn't great. More so it's a low mile car, in my preferred exterior/interior combo, and looks extremely clean.

I'm less looking for a "deal" and more just looking for a clean car, with low miles, private party so I can avoid tax.

I am close to just ordering a new one at this point.
Well then, there you go. With that history, it’d have to be a baaahgin to be worth the risk.

The reality is the seller will eventually get the problem fixed and find another buyer because the market for used Model 3’s is tight and there is always someone out there who wants one.

But I agree with others, for now I’d pass...at least until Tesla can absolutely confirm what is wrong with it. But who knows when that could be.

Well then, there you go. With that history, it’d have to be a baaahgin to be worth the risk.
It's a pretty "average" price. If it was 5k cheaper I'd gamble it.

I just feel like it'd be a dick move to try and renegotiate the price now. So it's probably better I just pass.
But I agree with others, for now I’d pass...at least until Tesla can absolutely confirm what is wrong with it. But who knows when that could be.
Yup. This is my main concern. They were fairly confident they fixed it the first time. The car also sat there for 3-4 weeks before they even had a diagnosis. Now it could take that long again.

I'll have to talk to him today. :(

I'd pass. Assuming they actually start delivering Model Y in the next couple of months I'd expect there to be a lot more used Model 3 inventory around. You don't want to have to deal with Tesla service right off the bat with this car, especially if the problem is back after they thought they fixed it.