Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Built in dash cam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree on this obvious feature, or a way to plug into an existing video feed. My non-tesla car has a camera for LDW but could found no references to getting at it, plus not sure of quality so I ended up buying an A119 Dashcam for about $100.

How do you loop a GoPro so it only keeps the last 15 minutes recorded?
bbe3f860-29c3-11e6-98af-06ec8d478cbf.default.png

• Informative
Reactions: SureValla
How attached are you to color pictures? Although we don't have all the details, it seems like all but the rear camera might be grayscale except for red.

Recording just the front and rear wide angle would seem like a solid dashcam, which could probably be implemented by firmware update if Tesla chose to do so.

interesting thank you. I see a few downsides of this though vs a regular built in dash cam

1) you need to put it away each time you leave your car in a public location
2) no automatic start up
3) wire hanging off to the side for power

It would be nice not to have to set it up each time you drive. Have you tried implementing this setup yourself? Is it super annoying?

I would like to just use the 8 cameras already installed in my car if possible, to me it seems unnecessary to have to install one or two more.
If it is an buy-in option with limited functionality (just like my EAP at the moment) I'm ok with it, as long as I'm aware when I purchase it. But you could get a on-screen notification when you drive somewhere with new dash cam functionality.

However I'm sure you are right, there will be a lot of complaints, even though there seems to be a lot of that anyway, so maybe a little more wouldn't hurt ;)

And I also think if Tesla had this built in functionality that it would deter some would-be burglars.

Also, I agree that the liability and legal implications could easily be solved by on-screen waivers and software.

Imagine, in addition to accident recording and burglary deterrence, all the fun stuff that could be recorded without having to rely on an OBD connector. Think Waylens but way way better!

are you saying dashcams are illegal in some locations?
specifically for US states: (plus some cities have their own regulations)
from Resources - Video Surveillance Laws Listed by State
Alabama Video surveillance in a "private place" is prohibited.
Arkansas Prohibited in a private place without the permission of the people photographed or observed is against the law
California Video recording of "confidential communications" is prohibited without consent.
Delaware Hidden cameras are prohibited without consent.
Georgia Consent of all parties is required for video recording and photography in private places.
Hawaii Hidden cameras are prohibited without consent.
Illinois Video recording with sound is not prohibited.
Kansas Hidden cameras are prohibited without consent.
Maine Hidden cameras are prohibited without consent.
Michigan Hidden cameras in a private place are prohibited without consent.
Minnesota Hidden cameras are prohibited in private places.
New Hampshire Hidden cameras are prohibited without consent.
South Carolina A Peeping Tom under the statute is a person who "peeps through windows, doors or other like places" on another's premises for the purpose of "spying upon or invading the privacy" of others or for "any other conduct of a similar nature that tends to invade the privacy of others.
South Dakota Hidden cameras are prohibited without consent.
Tennessee Prohibits "knowingly photograph or cause to be photographed" in a privet place
Utah Hidden cameras are forbidden in private areas; violation is a misdemeanor.
Washington Video recording with sound is prohibited.

so 'private' could be any site you drive onto when leaving the public street. Parking lot, parking garage, etc. Or, what is captured into someone else's property (house, car, business, etc).