Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken Trim in new Tesla, major enough to return the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This rear door trim's top part. Is it major enough? I showed to Tesla when taking delivery they said server person can fix it. They scheduled the appointment but now they said part hasn't arrived so will need to reschedule. 1 week is over soon, So anyone can tell if this damage can have any long term issues that I should instead reject the car?

Attachments

• 2024-05-01_08-32-29.png
    2024-05-01_08-32-29.png
    277.8 KB · Views: 7
This rear door trim's top part. Is it major enough? I showed to Tesla when taking delivery they said server person can fix it. They scheduled the appointment but now they said part hasn't arrived so will need to reschedule. 1 week is over soon, So anyone can tell if this damage can have any long term issues that I should instead reject the car?
Apologies for not fixing the title of this post. Seems I am unable to, can Moderator fix the title to "Broken Trim in new Tesla, major enough to return the car?"

Looks normal to me. Can you post a clearer photo, with the exact problem circled?
On the opposite door, the portion pointed by arrow is flushed with the trim on top. Trim is certainly broken, the delivery guy said that. But he said service can fix it. I've heard Tesla not keeping promises on services that's why this post. Delivery guys also said I have 1 week, < 1000 miles driven if for any reason I need to return the car.

I understand this shouldn't be the reason, by my worry was that if anyone else has seen something like this and if it leaks water in rain or something, and can eventually corrode the paint. obv I am an overthinker.

Attachments

• 20240501_134127.jpg
    20240501_134127.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 4

Broken Trim in new Tesla, major enough to return the car?

(moderator note)

I changed the thread title as you requested.

==================================
(not moderation content, regular post)

If your location is actually what you put (USA) there is no "reject the car". Once you take delivery, the car is yours, unless both you and whomever sold you the car both agree to unwind the deal. There is no "cooling off" period on new car deals in the US, so you cant just take the car back and tell them to give you another one.

Your options:

1. Let Tesla fix the issue

2. Attempt a lemon law claim, which in most states requires you to allow the manufacturer a chance to fix the issue, or requires some amount of repeated attempts by the manufacturer or their representative (dealer) to fix the issue

3. Sell car (at whatever price you can get for it

You want to get the "return car" thoughts out of your mind since its not something you can do. The closest is let them repair it and if they fail start a lemon law claim.

Reactions: joeinNFLA and neelp
Delivery guys also said I have 1 week, < 1000 miles driven if for any reason I need to return the car.

It sounds to me like you misunderstood what they said, or their policy has changed (one of the two). "1 week - 1000 miles driven" is to report issues you find that need to be repaired (return the car for service) not return the car and get another one.

That is, unless their policy has changed. I am fairly sure however if you rolled up there and said "I am within my 1 week / 1000 miles and want to return this car", they would look at you with a puzzled look on their face and say "you mean repair, right, because we cant take the car back and give you another one if thats what you mean".

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird and neelp
It sounds to me like you misunderstood what they said, or their policy has changed (one of the two). "1 week - 1000 miles driven" is to report issues you find that need to be repaired (return the car for service) not return the car and get another one.

That is, unless their policy has changed. I am fairly sure however if you rolled up there and said "I am within my 1 week / 1000 miles and want to return this car, they would look at you with a puzzled look on their face and say "you mean repair, right, because we cant take the car back and give you another one if thats what you mean".
Ok. Thank you all. Probably should have asked for proper car before taking the delivery itself. Doesn't look like a big issue though. 🤞 Tesla will fix it properly.