Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes noises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem of rusting brakes is normal on any car if you don't drive/brake often. On the Roadster it's more likely to happen, because mostly you use the regen and not the brakes. Using the brakes 2-3 times before you park the car is the way to go.

in addition to Dragon :

I'll often get some some squeaking noises while pushing the brake the first time. That reminds me to push the brake pedal several times very hard to get rid of it. This is good for the brake pads because they might get a little bit slippery, if you use only regen for deceleration for a long time as I do.

BTW, a common problem in industrial applications with inverter driven electric motors with a brake

well maybe it is time for Ceramic disc as rusting wont be a problem

The biggest problem I can see with Ceramic rotors is that they have to be used a decent amount in order to heat up and actually become useful. They still work "unheated", just not very well.

With the regen on the Roadster (usually?) doing most of the deceleration and the brakes only used to keep the car still when stopped Ceramic brakes would probably be fine but in most situations (with the Roadster) they wouldn't get heated up enough to work properly.

I park my Roadster (#1204) in my warehouse, which is at the bottom of a hill. I have to break several times before parking as there are two turns, each at the bottom of a ramp, and I usually drive that stretch pretty hard because it's free of snow and in nice condition. My brakes, at 110 miles on the odometer, have begun shrieking every time I press them. If using the brakes hard a few times before parking is supposed to be the cure for this rust problem, it's not working for me!

If there is really so much rust that the shriek is not going away, you should feel a little resistance on the brake pedal if you step on it. If that's not the case, it's not rust. Well, you should let check the brakes anyway!