Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt ramp vs. Model 3 ramp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's from almost 1.5 years ago, and there's nothing "absolute" about it. Elon clearly prefaced that estimate by saying he has no clue but would rather aim aggressive. There are more updated estimates.

I meant, it was the total M3 production target for 2017, not production rate at some point in time in 2017, however small that point may be, as claimed by @techmaven . Surely we can hold Elon's feet to fire (as he said at that time about others) for 100k M3s?

They are? I thought that had over 90 day supply and were shutting down the factory to reduce inventory? Is that doing fine?
cars.com shows 4646 Bolts in whole US. Bolt US sales: July 1971, August 2107, Sept : 2632. Your math must be weak to claim a 90 day supply from these data points.

But here is the funny part. Selling from inventory IS GM's business. Adjusting factory output is also nothing new for automakers. They do it openly, vs. Tesla's secretive/excused factory shutdowns.
OTOH, Tesla's S&X inventory, which is supposed not to exist because it is a custom ordered car with customers waiting in lines, exceeds the ratio you are trying to paint as poor demand. No, I'm not talking about the visible inventory, but the real inventory against which Tesla borrows money on its LOC.

Besides, GM never made any claims about absurdly high demand for Bolt. So, I am not getting your point, what you are trying to say here.
Call me when Tesla has actually SELLS (not just talked about) 30k Model 3s in the US a year.

Last edited:
They are? I thought that had over 90 day supply and were shutting down the factory to reduce inventory? Is that doing fine?

Retooling the factory for making LESS ICE Sonic's and make MORE Bolts. Bolt supply is down to 5 weeks, so GM has managed inventory nicely.

IIRC, you were the one saying there would be 100,000 3 deliveries this year? Still want to make that bet? Lol

• Informative
Reactions: voip-ninja

Way to bring up a 3 month old article.

4,700 Bolts on cars.com. Bolt sold 2,632 units last month (7th straight monthly increase), so about 5 weeks of supply if we assume last month's rate continues, well under the 60 day desired max supply level manufacturers prefer.

As we are approaching the end of the year and people start looking to cash in on the $7.5k fed tax credit, Bolt sales should continue to climb the rest of the year. Bolt inventory is "piling up" only to be swept away by happy customer shortly after.

cars.com shows 4646 Bolts in whole US. Bolt US sales: July 1971, August 2107, Sept : 2632. Your math must be weak to claim a 90 day supply from these data points.
He didn't claim 90 days from the two data points you mention, and nobody here is aware of how GM calculates.

Here is one possible explanation of how it is calculated. Note in particular the period and the asset valuation.

Next step:
Self report this post to the mods and get this Bolt crap out of the thread.
Actually, I'd like to only see Model 3 VIN sightings reported here. Period

But bringing up comments Elon made 1.5 years ago is OK I guess? So we should just wait another 15 months before bring up the fact that Chevy had to shut down the plant due to an over-supply situation. Got it.

The distorted point brought up in that 3 month old article has since become invalid (Bolts no longer "overstocked").

The quotes from Elon about Model 3 production goals still apply, since Tesla is still leading investors to think they can achieve those goals when it seems obviously clear they will not. At least Tesla has not officially adjusted any 2017 delivery projections recently despite the announced "bottlenecks".

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand

Here is why you need to be careful about getting real news from Electrek, here's same article from the same day using the same source:

"The automaker is making the move to thin the number unsold Sonic cars, according to Plant Communications Manager Javier Guzman Barcenas. He added that extension will have no impact on production plans for the Chevy Bolt electric vehicle.

More than 9,000 workers will be affected by the temporary layoffs that began last month and are to run into August." ...
GM Extends Summer Shutdown At Orion Assembly

You will note the difference in content between the articles even though they are both sourced from the same news agency.

One implies they cutting Bolt EV production, the other says they are not. The original Reuters content agrees more closely with CBS Detroit.

"GM has confirmed that its Orion plant, where they build the Chevy Bolt EV, will see an extended shutdown as part of the automaker’s broader effort to reduce inventories." ... - Electrek

Both say exactly the same thing. Would you interpret those two quotes the same?

Note that Electrek probably exists only to garner referral credits. CBS News and Reuters exist to publish news articles.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: mmd and dhanson865
Note that Electrek probably exists only to garner referral credits. CBS News and Reuters exist to publish news articles.

Oh yeah. You think it's just some coincidence that Electrek writers are also TSLA stockholders, and put their Tesla referral links at the bottom of their "articles"? What other reputable news source has writers that plug their personal referral links that can potentially result in them receiving thousands of dollars of referral awards from Tesla? There is definitely no conflict of interest there. :rolleyes:

Bjorn has achieved at least a 40% discount towards a next-gen Roadster...assuming a founders edition Roadster will go for at least $150k, his referrals are worth $60k (or more) to him currently. And at the rate he's going, he'll be able to get a free Roadster no problem, which will probably be worth closer to $200k.

Going back to Electrek, if you knew you could gain more referrals (and a 6 figure payday), wouldn't you be tempted to slant news stories to show Tesla in a more positive light, while throwing shade on GM and their competitors? Looking at Fred Lambert's writing history, he's been doing it for a long time.

Oh yeah. You think it's just some coincidence that Electrek writers are also TSLA stockholders, and put their Tesla referral links at the bottom of their "articles"? What other reputable news source has writers that plug their personal referral links that can potentially result in them receiving thousands of dollars of referral awards from Tesla? There is definitely no conflict of interest there. :rolleyes:

Bjorn has achieved at least a 40% discount towards a next-gen Roadster...assuming a founders edition Roadster will go for at least $150k, his referrals are worth $60k (or more) to him currently. And at the rate he's going, he'll be able to get a free Roadster no problem, which will probably be worth closer to $200k.

Going back to Electrek, if you knew you could gain more referrals (and a 6 figure payday), wouldn't you be tempted to slant news stories to show Tesla in a more positive light, while throwing shade on GM and their competitors? Looking at Fred Lambert's writing history, he's been doing it for a long time.

I love watching the Bjørn Nyland's reviews and drive experiences. He certainly is a Tesla Advocate, but he doesn't spin his reports.

Last edited:
State of the Bolt:
A short 9 months after introduction, inventory is piling up despite killer lease deals and compliance car level production quantities.

I shudder at the thought of the Model 3 being compared to that market dog.

Since April, the Bolt has been on a steady rise in US sales. September alone was over 2600 units, or over 10 times many M3's sold since July.

There is 54 days worth of Bolts at that rate.
There are fewer than 1 Bolt EVs per Chevrolet dealership in stock.

• Informative
Reactions: CarbonFree