Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth constantly disconnecting and reconnecting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 MYLR running software 2022.44.30. Just took delivery a few weeks ago (before the price cut ☹️). There are 2 iPhones paired to the car's Bluetooth: an XS and a 13, both running iOS 16.1.2 (me and my wife's phones). I've noticed that both phones are constantly disconnecting and reconnecting to Bluetooth every minute or so. Sometimes when this happens, the car's WiFi doesn't connect to my home network either and can't find any WiFi networks if I try to do a scan. Resetting the car's touchscreen by holding down both steering wheel buttons works to fix the issues for a few days, but then it starts happening again.

The Phone Key functionality is not impacted and always works reliably; only the connection for making Bluetooth phone calls and streaming audio is affected.

Has anyone encountered this?

Thanks

I have a 2023 MYLR running software 2022.44.30. Just took delivery a few weeks ago (before the price cut ☹️). There are 2 iPhones paired to the car's Bluetooth: an XS and a 13, both running iOS 16.1.2 (me and my wife's phones). I've noticed that both phones are constantly disconnecting and reconnecting to Bluetooth every minute or so. Sometimes when this happens, the car's WiFi doesn't connect to my home network either and can't find any WiFi networks if I try to do a scan. Resetting the car's touchscreen by holding down both steering wheel buttons works to fix the issues for a few days, but then it starts happening again.

The Phone Key functionality is not impacted and always works reliably; only the connection for making Bluetooth phone calls and streaming audio is affected.

Has anyone encountered this?

Thanks
I have this exact problem going on with my 2022 M3. How did you go with it?

I encountered this after the December 2022 holiday update. I only have one iPhone paired via Bluetooth since my wife just likes to use FM/AM radio :rolleyes: & has never paired her phone to her car in the past 12 years. Solution for me was in Tesla remove iPhone entries. Then for good measure, reboot infotainment. On phones remove car’s Bluetooth connection ( the one used for audio, it will be named like The car). Then remake the Bluetooth entires.

I encountered this after the December 2022 holiday update. I only have one iPhone paired via Bluetooth since my wife just likes to use FM/AM radio :rolleyes: & has never paired her phone to her car in the past 12 years. Solution for me was in Tesla remove iPhone entries. Then for good measure, reboot infotainment. On phones remove car’s Bluetooth connection ( the one used for audio, it will be named like The car). Then remake the Bluetooth entires.

This is exactly what I did last night; it's working so far, but it's too early to tell if it's a permanent fix because the issue only appears 1 or 2 days after rebooting the infotainment. I also renamed my iPhones to not contain apostrophes in the names, after reading an anecdotal and unconfirmed comment in another thread that this could cause issues. At this point I'm willing to try anything :rolleyes:.

Having taken delivery of my MY at the end of December, and it being my first Tesla, the Holiday Update is the only Tesla software I've ever experienced so I can't comment on the Bluetooth behavior before that.

I noticed that when the problem occurs, the car's Bluetooth screen (where you add and remove phones) flips between normal and "Reinitializing Bluetooth" every 30 seconds or so; this corresponds with the phone disconnection/reconnection. At the same time, the WiFi screen also says "Reinitializing". So the issue seems to affect the part of the infotainment computer that deals with Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity, making it "reset" every 30 seconds or so. Since the Phone Key functionality is still intact and stable, I assume this is handled by a different module/computer since it's a drive-critical item (unlike the infotainment, which is just annoying).

If it's indeed a software regression that was introduced with the holiday update, hopefully it will be resolved in the next update (which should be soon based on Tesla's usual release cadence). I'm surprised, though, that more people aren't reporting this if it really affects everyone with an iPhone.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3907 - Copy.jpeg
    IMG_3907 - Copy.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_3908 - Copy.jpeg
    IMG_3908 - Copy.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 274
Having taken delivery of my MY at the end of December, and it being my first Tesla, the Holiday Update is the only Tesla software I've ever experienced so I can't comment on the Bluetooth behavior before that.
I have had a 2022 MYP for little over a year. Bluetooth audio setup has been pretty much flawless other than that December 2022 holiday update. After following the steps I suggested, I had no additional issues despite not getting any new Updates. people reported this issue back in December 2022 & they sorted it out be doing what I did. Issue did not seem to affect everyone for unknown reasons.

You had a good idea to use plain characters in phone name to be safe. Perhaps even wifi name. My wifi name has _ in the name to that seems okay.

I have had a 2022 MYP for little over a year. Bluetooth audio setup has been pretty much flawless other than that December 2022 holiday update. After following the steps I suggested, I had no additional issues despite not getting any new Updates. people reported this issue back in December 2022 & they sorted it out be doing what I did. Issue did not seem to affect everyone for unknown reasons.

You had a good idea to use plain characters in phone name to be safe. Perhaps even wifi name. My wifi name has _ in the name to that seems okay.

Good to know it hasn't recurred for you! I also have an underscore character _ in my WiFi name.

This is exactly what I did last night; it's working so far, but it's too early to tell if it's a permanent fix because the issue only appears 1 or 2 days after rebooting the infotainment. I also renamed my iPhones to not contain apostrophes in the names, after reading an anecdotal and unconfirmed comment in another thread that this could cause issues. At this point I'm willing to try anything :rolleyes:.

I noticed that when the problem occurs, the car's Bluetooth screen (where you add and remove phones) flips between normal and "Reinitializing Bluetooth" every 30 seconds or so; this corresponds with the phone disconnection/reconnection. At the same time, the WiFi screen also says "Reinitializing". So the issue seems to affect the part of the infotainment computer that deals with Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity, making it "reset" every 30 seconds or so. Since the Phone Key functionality is still intact and stable, I assume this is handled by a different module/computer since it's a drive-critical item (unlike the infotainment, which is just annoying).

If it's indeed a software regression that was introduced with the holiday update, hopefully it will be resolved in the next update (which should be soon based on Tesla's usual release cadence). I'm surprised, though, that more people aren't reporting this if it really affects everyone with an iPhone.

Thanks.
I am having same problem since Holiday update. The suggestion was to forget Tesla Y on iPhone and forget my iPhone on the Tesla Bluetooth screen and then try and re-pair. My problem is that Bluetooth screen in the Tesla won’t let me forget the device. The “forget” button is inactive and it keeps saying it is trying to connect my iPhone.Any ideas?

I am having same problem since Holiday update. The suggestion was to forget Tesla Y on iPhone and forget my iPhone on the Tesla Bluetooth screen and then try and re-pair. My problem is that Bluetooth screen in the Tesla won’t let me forget the device. The “forget” button is inactive and it keeps saying it is trying to connect my iPhone.Any ideas?

Try rebooting the infotainment computer by holding down both steering wheel buttons. In my case, this temporarily "fixed" the problem for 1-2 days which is enough to enable you to get into the Bluetooth screen and perform the steps followed by @ElectricAnt54 and myself.

That’s odd. if our tip’s don’t work, schedule a service request with tesla. For this, I suspect they will send someone to your residence or work site Especially since you are in Los Angeles area which has many service centers.

I am beyond frustrated with this load of crap. 22 model. Android phone. I have turned Bluetooth off & on, occasionally that works. I have reset the car. I have deleted the app and reinstalled it. I have forgot the network and reattached it. There is no answer. It doesn't work. Look at the history these complaints have been going on since 2020. It's not the update. Sometimes its twice a day but at minimum four times a week and often when I'm standing in the rain, occasionally with a date trying to get into my car looking like an idiot who spent 60k and on what? This car was sold to me with the understanding that my phone would be the key and since it's not I'm considering legal action.

I am beyond frustrated with this load of crap. 22 model. Android phone. I have turned Bluetooth off & on, occasionally that works. I have reset the car. I have deleted the app and reinstalled it. I have forgot the network and reattached it. There is no answer. It doesn't work. Look at the history these complaints have been going on since 2020. It's not the update. Sometimes its twice a day but at minimum four times a week and often when I'm standing in the rain, occasionally with a date trying to get into my car looking like an idiot who spent 60k and on what? This car was sold to me with the understanding that my phone would be the key and since it's not I'm considering legal action.
I have not had any issues with my 2022 Model Y and ability to use the phone as a key but I use iPhone 13 Pro Max & not Android based phone like yourself. Sounds like you need to redo the phone key setup & not the entry in Tesla bluetooth audio source. Your phone has the possibility to make two bluetooth connections to the Tesla. One for phone key which phone will connect to automatically to a bluetooth device which looks like a serial number. The other entry is for audio purposes (if you paired phone to Tesla for bluetooth audio purposes) and that device name is whatever your car is named. You actually do not manually connect to the device name used for phone key functionality as this network only appears when you are near the car. I suspect you have been parking up the wrong tree for a while. For android you might need to have the Tesla app running in background all the time...or at least before you get near your car. I'd also schedule a Tesla mobile service visit if you can not resolve it yourself.

I have not had any issues with my 2022 Model Y and ability to use the phone as a key but I use iPhone 13 Pro Max & not Android based phone like yourself. Sounds like you need to redo the phone key setup & not the entry in Tesla bluetooth audio source. Your phone has the possibility to make two bluetooth connections to the Tesla. One for phone key which phone will connect to automatically to a bluetooth device which looks like a serial number. The other entry is for audio purposes (if you paired phone to Tesla for bluetooth audio purposes) and that device name is whatever your car is named. You actually do not manually connect to the device name used for phone key functionality as this network only appears when you are near the car. I suspect you have been parking up the wrong tree for a while. For android you might need to have the Tesla app running in background all the time...or at least before you get near your car. I'd also schedule a Tesla mobile service visit if you can not resolve it yourself.
Appreciate your thoughts. It is running in the background (set to always on). Tesla set my connection when I bought it and I've followed their instructions through service chat and have a scheduled house visit for fogging blinker lights.

I have the same problem of Bluetooth connecting and disconnecting, have for a month now. I have forgotten device several times, rebooted Tesla, nothing works. Tesla just says “iPhone connecting….” Forever. It is so annoying. I can’t believe I overpaid for one, and can’t even listen to music.

I have the same problem of Bluetooth connecting and disconnecting, have for a month now. I have forgotten device several times, rebooted Tesla, nothing works. Tesla just says “iPhone connecting….” Forever. It is so annoying. I can’t believe I overpaid for one, and can’t even listen to music.
What version number is your tesla running. Don’t say the latest, you can’t believe how often people are incorrect. The issue you mention was fixxed for myself and many others by forgetting iPhone device within tesla, forgetting tesla bluetooth (the one named after you car) in your phone. Reboot tesla computer. Then pair phone to tesla as a Bluetooth audio device.