Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue experts please step in... strange issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay,
I have had my 650s installed for only 2 weeks. Worked very well but, hit and miss on the cloud at times. (which I am fine with) I had it professionally installed and paid a good amount to do so. They have installed a lot of these cameras on Teslas which is why I went to them.

Now, I can not longer wifi into the unit nor can I the cloud even when I am right next to the camera. The unit states Wifi hotspot unavailable. I have researched and can not find anything about it.

But, when I was pushing the buttons ect to see if I could get the unit fixed, I realized they left on the clear sleeve that has the QR code on it still. So, with the unit "always on mode and covering the vents, I think it overheated the camera and messed up the wifi. I hope/pray I am wrong with that because I just want it to work so love to hear some options suggestions. The only thing left that I did not do is remove the SD card and reformat the SD card which seems like a PIA.

Thanks
Jon

If you go to remove the card, make sure you turn off the power to the unit before doing so otherwise it can mess up the data on the card and possibly damage the card.

I'm not sure what reformatting the card would have to do with getting wifi access though.

I occasionally have trouble using Wi-Fi to connect to my BlackVue (I don't use the Cloud features). I found what helps is to remove the connection info from your WiFi settings as well as the app, and then try reconnecting. Also, make sure to change your default password so others can't mess with it, and make sure to write down the password so you don't get locked out.

Reactions: Indpowr
Okay,
I have had my 650s installed for only 2 weeks. Worked very well but, hit and miss on the cloud at times. (which I am fine with) I had it professionally installed and paid a good amount to do so. They have installed a lot of these cameras on Teslas which is why I went to them.

Now, I can not longer wifi into the unit nor can I the cloud even when I am right next to the camera. The unit states Wifi hotspot unavailable. I have researched and can not find anything about it.

But, when I was pushing the buttons ect to see if I could get the unit fixed, I realized they left on the clear sleeve that has the QR code on it still. So, with the unit "always on mode and covering the vents, I think it overheated the camera and messed up the wifi. I hope/pray I am wrong with that because I just want it to work so love to hear some options suggestions. The only thing left that I did not do is remove the SD card and reformat the SD card which seems like a PIA.

Thanks
Jon
Thanks for that. Didn't realize my plastic was still on and I installes the darn thing! Was a pain to get off.

Our installers took off the QRC code one but had left on the blue plastic covering at the wifi end on the main camera. Hubby had noticed it and took it off. We also have a little red tab on the rear camera, so these are definitely something people should double check for.

Indpowr, any luck getting it working again?

Our installers took off the QRC code one but had left on the blue plastic covering at the wifi end on the main camera. Hubby had noticed it and took it off. We also have a little red tab on the rear camera, so these are definitely something people should double check for.

Indpowr, any luck getting it working again?

Nope. Taking the camera back for the to see if they can fix or send back for a new one

Well turns out I was mistaken when I posted above about our plastic sleeve on the front camera being off. I kept thinking about your issue and went and double checked a photo of hubby's car windows after we got the install and sure enough thought I detected shiny plastic on the camera's length. Sent hubby the photo and he agreed it was probably still on there (the blue end one was removed by him earlier). Took off the front plastic sleeve a few minutes ago and he is laying in our rear cargo space (nice the seats fold down) and removing the rear camera sleeve. He had seen the red tab but didn't realize that it was part of the plastic sleeve. Professional install too so can happen to anyone. We'll call our installers tomorrow so they are aware it got left on.

Surprisingly the manual does not mention removing the sleeves before installing or mention that there are vents on the unit that should remain unobstructed. I know, kind of no brainer on removing the film but I think people leave it on while positioning the cameras so as not to get fingerprints and such on it and then simply forget to take it off. Really sorry Indpowr that your unit may have fried due to it but big thanks again for posting about it. Hubby says you most likely saved us from the same fate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indpowr