Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue DR650GW-2CH Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you drive your Tesla in a high density area with no dash cams on?
I would and do. Most Teslas I've seen here in Sydney have no dash cam.

The problem is that dash cams cost money, but they are only useful if:
- you actually have a crash or get robbed (?5%) and
- it was actually the other driver's fault (50%)
- it's not obvious from the accident who was at fault (?20%) and
- the other driver disputes fault (?30%)

So that's 0.05 x 0.5 x 0.2 x 0.3 = 0.0015 = 0.15% chance it will be useful to have a dashcam.

On all other occasions (99.85%):
- you'll never actually have any incident worth recording, or
- it will be your fault anyway, so the dash cam just further implicates you, or
- it will be the other driver's fault, but that would be obvious even with a recording, or
- the other driver will be honest even though their fault couldn't be easily proven

So, if the dash cam plus installation costs $800, and has a 0.15% effectiveness, it should only make sense when the potential damage is $800/0.0015 = $533,333.33.

But even in the worst case the maximum you'll have to pay is your excess, plus elevated premiums for a few years. If that adds up to more than $500,000 you should probably consider a different insurer :)

I would and do. Most Teslas I've seen here in Sydney have no dash cam.

The problem is that dash cams cost money, but they are only useful if:
- you actually have a crash or get robbed (?5%) and
- it was actually the other driver's fault (50%)
- it's not obvious from the accident who was at fault (?20%) and
- the other driver disputes fault (?30%)

So that's 0.05 x 0.5 x 0.2 x 0.3 = 0.0015 = 0.15% chance it will be useful to have a dashcam.

On all other occasions (99.85%):
- you'll never actually have any incident worth recording, or
- it will be your fault anyway, so the dash cam just further implicates you, or
- it will be the other driver's fault, but that would be obvious even with a recording, or
- the other driver will be honest even though their fault couldn't be easily proven

So, if the dash cam plus installation costs $800, and has a 0.15% effectiveness, it should only make sense when the potential damage is $800/0.0015 = $533,333.33.

But even in the worst case the maximum you'll have to pay is your excess, plus elevated premiums for a few years. If that adds up to more than $500,000 you should probably consider a different insurer :)

Thank you for that response. This makes sense if the owner is the sole user of the vehicle. My plan though is to have others drive it even if I am not around. In which case I would like to know what happens inside the cabin and generally track the behavior of those folks inside the car and the general outside environment. Using cloud services requires the wifi hotspot so that means extra charges for a data plan.

I guess a similar approach can be used for any additional accessory or add-on I am considering for the car, like clear bra wrap or powder coating the rims.

I envision a 4 channel set up so that I have 360 degree visibility including an infrared interior view camera. I am not sure connecting straight into the 12V is feasible. I may just go with blackvue and get a polarized filter to hopefully increase visibility. But I wonder what other equipment would an installer need to get this set up done?
You have no choice - you need 12 V.

Can a few folks indicate what their setup is and whether or not a GPS signal is quickly and consistently available on their BlackVue dashcam? I've been discussing this issue with BlackVue for a bit trying to get a solid answer. They are claiming the GPS won't work or won't work very well due to the AutoPilot sensors in a Tesla.
It's nothing to do with the sensors - it's the metalised windscreen. The installer needs a GPS that measurers strength to determine where to put it.

• Informative
Reactions: Sappy02
It's nothing to do with the sensors - it's the metalised windscreen. The installer needs a GPS that measurers strength to determine where to put it.

Thanks for the tip. I will make sure to have my installer use his GPS device.

Also, on the actual set up of the cameras, since I want to have an interior view video feed, would you recommend getting the DR650 2-CH IR and the DR750 1-CH? In that set up, the front view camera will be a 1080P but it does not have the improved night vision and then the IR camera would be for the interior view. I would use the DR750 1-CH for the back view which will be 1080P also.