Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dashcam is not working since 2 weeks.. Got in the card and camera started spamming "please check SD Card". After 3-5 different attemps removing the card it finally rebooted. Later last week i found that the Camera seems to be running but then the recording light was off, only GPS blue light was on. Pressing the wifi button does nothing. Only way is to remove power then wait 1 minute for the gps light to turn off then plug back and it says that it is configuring the sd card. Then it start again and stop working all the time, i have to unplug it every time. I guess maybe my sd card is dead?

I guess maybe my sd card is dead?

1. You can test your SD card using your computer to look at its content. If nothing come out, then:

2. You can try to reformat the SD card with your computer or phone following the following link:
https://www.blackvue.com/downloads/

3. Or, you can just try to format the SD card by pressing for 10 seconds the Wifi button.
I do that periodically to clean the SD card content.

Note: The Wifi connection allow you to perform some diagnostic or setting some using a phone or a tablet.

1. You can test your SD card using your computer to look at its content. If nothing come out, then:

2. You can try to reformat the SD card with your computer or phone following the following link:
https://www.blackvue.com/downloads/

3. Or, you can just try to format the SD card by pressing for 10 seconds the Wifi button.
I do that periodically to clean the SD card content.

Note: The Wifi connection allow you to perform some diagnostic or setting some using a phone or a tablet.
If you format the card by pressing the button for 10 seconds do you have to redo all the settings again or are they saved?

Before this happened were you starting to see corruption in the video that was recorded? We just installed a DR650S (not using cloud) and still learning things about it. I did read today about the suggestion to reformat monthly as Barry mentioned above.

Curious how you got the alert about the checking the card. Was it an audible alert or through the app?

Before this happened were you starting to see corruption in the video that was recorded? We just installed a DR650S (not using cloud) and still learning things about it. I did read today about the suggestion to reformat monthly as Barry mentioned above.

Curious how you got the alert about the checking the card. Was it an audible alert or through the app?
Yes it is a audible alert yelling at you "CHECK THE DAMN SD CARD!!!" every 5 seconds.

Pressing the wifi button 10 seconds did nothing (that i could have see/heard)

• Funny
Reactions: SMAlset
I had an issue with the SD card that came with my BlackVue from BlackBoxMyCar. Even after reformatting it was still recording static in the audio when it was only about 2 months old. BlackBoxMyCar was super helpful. I contacted them through Amazon (since that's how I bought my dashcam). They sent me a shipping label to ship them the defective SD card & they shipped me a brand new one that was a "higher quality" brand. I've had no issues with the new one. I also bought a 128 GB Samsung SD card on Amazon that's the main one I use in the BlackVue.

When reformatting your SD card in the unit, are you holding the button for 10 seconds or so until you hear the beep? Also keep in mind that you don't want to insert or remove the card while the unit is powered on. The data can be damaged and cause the card to malfunction.

One retailer of the unit/cards said that the cards typically last anywhere from 6 months to a year and then need replacing.

If you format the card by pressing the button for 10 seconds do you have to redo all the settings again or are they saved?
No. The settings are uploaded into the camera and saved there (or something like that).
- This is correct, no need to re-do all the settings.

However I noticed, later on, that my the recording time seems to become incorrect.
The problem that I noticed is that the recording time re-start just after the last recording time,
even if I parked my car for a day.

I'm investigating about this issue. I wonder if anyone noticed the same problem?

I just downloaded the latest SD card firmware (v2.007) to see if this will fix the time line issue I noticed.

- Using the Wifi App, I notice an option to "synchronize time"?
I suppose this means to synchronize the time on the Wifi tablet that I was using with the Dashcam?
So I use this option every time after reformatting the SD card.

- There is also a program that you can download under: Utility > Time Setting Program
https://www.blackvue.com/downloads/#1460710399003-fac7d739-f076
The program is called 'timeset.exe' and it's a Windows program, there is no .dmg Mac OSX program.

Last edited:
Was finally able to format the yelling card. Crossing fingers. But now i can't connect to the damn thing.
Not sure if this will help you but maybe worth a try...

If you've managed to format the microSD card in the BlackVue itself by pressing/holding the button 10seconds, then the settings file should have been re-written to the card. Try this: remove the card from the dashcam and plug it into your desktop (or laptop) computer - you'll of course need a microSD to USB adapter.

Then run the BlackVue Viewer app on your computer. From within the Viewer app you can check or set all the dashcam settings - e.g double check your wifi access point settings. Then put the card back into the dashcam

FWIW when I first got my 650GW a year ago, I also had some trouble with a new card that wouldn't seem to format (kept getting that annoying voice error message). Took a few tries but eventually the card formatted and it's been working fine ever since.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I have a DR550 2CH in my '13 S. I am prepping to move it to my '17 90D before I sell the '13. Although I am moving the cameras, I am not undoing the power and cable in the '13. At least the new owner will have it easier putting a Blackvue in if they choose to.

So, I needed some extra Blackvue stuff for the new car. I bought a 20 foot front/rear cable instead of the standard length that came with the 550. When I bought my 550 a couple of years ago, each end of the front/rear cable had 90 connectors on each end. Buying the replacement 20 foot, did not give me the option, but it came with one 90 and one straight connector. This will make pulling the cable through the rubber boot easier, because I used the straight end on the rear camera.

I'm also prepping my new car for the artsci lighted rear applique. It needs a left and right turn signal wire and a 18 gauge 12V power wire installed through the boot also. That's 3 wires, 4 connections with a four wire ribbon cable (I only need 2) total. Someone gave me the hint, so I picked up a big bottle of cable lube at my local Ace Hardware for $7. (a bargain). I only need a couple of drops. Before I taped the Blackvue front/rear cable to the fiberglass snake, I took a razor blade and trimmed the four square corners off the straight connector. I simply removed the shoulder on the connector that would have added to the resistance.

I pulled the rubber boot loose on both ends, and pushed the fiberglass snake through from the outside/liftgate side. Its long enough, 2 feet to give me room to tape wires to the exposed end. I started with the 12v wire as its the biggest and strongest. I taped it parallel to the snake about two inches from the end. Now about 6 inches below this tape, I taped the Blackvue cable to the 12V cable. so now I still have only two widths of the size of wire coming through the boot. And once more, I taped the 4 wire ribbon cable for the turn signals to the 12V/Blackvue cable. I wiped a teaspoon size puddle of the cable lube on the length of wire and snake for about 15 inches. Now, I am ready for the pull. As soon as the cable lube reached the boot, I noticed less resistance pulling. It seemed to be at least 50% easier. Pulling the snake and 12V wire was easy (almost too easy compared to my first time). I massaged the boot as I pulled and was rewarded with a much easier pull. The cable lube make a big difference. Pulling allows the snake to clear the boot and now I see the Blackvue cable, followed with a couple more pulls the ribbon cable clears too.

Summary. I started with a 2 foot fiberglass snake and eased it through the rubber boot. I taped the 3 physical wires to each other, but only one (the first one, the strongest one) to the snake itself. I staggered the wires to avoid have a knot where they all came together. Doing it this way, I reduced the total width of the bundle to what was necessary.

A couple of years ago when I installed the 550, it took nearly two hours to get these wires through the boot. This time with 10 minutes of preparation, it took 5 minutes to pull the wires through. Of course threading through the body of the car and the liftgate took additional time, but that's a different story and thread.

Just hoping that if I shared my tips it might help someone else. I believe that the cable lube helped the effort by at least 50%.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Just received my blackvue and installed the cameras. I have a 2015 85D and there was a spare connector in the mic area. Measure the voltage and had 10VDC and 12VDC. Opened the connector and connected bare wires to the 12VDC wires and closed the connector.

Cameras powered up. There are a few things I need help with, please.

1. The Vin connector is very hot. The car is out of the sunshine, so the heat has to be from current. Is anyone else experiencing a hot power connector?
2. I set the camera setting to America-NewYork Eastern, but the clock is showing the GMT time. I have saved the setting, rebooted the camera and it still won't show the correct time although it has the correct time zone.
3. The GPS and Speed do not work. I drove the car about 1 mile and the location is Korea and the speed is - - -

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

I just noticed that my Vin connector is very hot also. -I'm using the Blackvue supplied memory card also.

- This is correct, no need to re-do all the settings.

However I noticed, later on, that my the recording time seems to become incorrect.
The problem that I noticed is that the recording time re-start just after the last recording time,
even if I parked my car for a day.

I'm investigating about this issue. I wonder if anyone noticed the same problem?

I just downloaded the latest SD card firmware (v2.007) to see if this will fix the time line issue I noticed.

- Using the Wifi App, I notice an option to "synchronize time"?
I suppose this means to synchronize the time on the Wifi tablet that I was using with the Dashcam?
So I use this option every time after reformatting the SD card.

- There is also a program that you can download under: Utility > Time Setting Program
Downloads - BlackVue
The program is called 'timeset.exe' and it's a Windows program, there is no .dmg Mac OSX program.

I'm pretty sure the "synchronize time" download was for older Blackvue units that didn't have built-in GPS or didn't want to use the optional corded GPS part they sell for those older units. So at least with the software installed you could then have an assign time stamp on your Blackvue captured video for those users.

Last edited:
Here are a few post install pictures. I was hoping to share actual install picture but my camera bugged out on me.

View attachment 171102 Here is a picture of the rear camera installed on the plastic trim NOT the glass

View attachment 171103 This is an overview of the wires you can hide. I'm not sure you can hide the wires completely and I did my best.
View attachment 171104 This is a close up view of the bottom plastic piece. I used a Dremel to notch a piece of the plastic so the wires tuck in better.
View attachment 171105 The wires heading towards the mic grill area run next to the car's front camera hardware. It's best to remove the plastic piece so you can see things better plus tuck the wires better.
View attachment 171107 Here's a view from the driver's seat. As you can see the BlackVue is completely hidden.
View attachment 171108 Here's the view looking at the back. As you can see the rear camera is hidden. I believe you can hide it better when mounted on the plastic trim versus the glass.
View attachment 171109 Another shot of the camera behind the rear view mirror.
Any reason you attached camera to trim instead of glass?

I was wondering where exactly you can find this fuse? I can't get any power to the connector in the mic.
Which wire are you using? There are three. Count them like this. 1 - 2 - 3 - empty
The #1, the only outside wire is 12V persistent. The middle #2, we don't use. The #3 is black, its ground.
The #1 has been reported to be different colors, so we can't tell you for certain its color. Although #3 is black.
Try that.
As for fuses, I've seen to different spots in the fuse box reported as the fuse. Both #50 and #100. I don't know what's correct. Could be depend on year of car. However, it does not matter to me, because I am putting an inline fuse on the camera anyway (always).