Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 650 - Are only options for rear camera drilling hole or showing cable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did mine yesterday. Took about 2 hours. I routed the the rear camera cable through the driver side rubber conduit rather than the passenger side. I used a zip tie to pull the cable through without the end first. The driver side conduit has less fill already so it pulled through immediately. I also used cable lube so there was was no working it. It pulled through in about 5 seconds. I did end up drilling a hole and installing a rubber grommet. Had I found this thread first I probably would have tried going through the tail light and back up. That said, it's a small hole and not really a big deal. There were no other issues with the install.

For power, I used this:

Amazon.com: Low Profile Right or Left Angle OBD 2 II Extension with Flat Ribbon Cable 1/30cm CAN Bus Compatible: Automotive

Attached to this:

Amazon.com: SOLAR ESA30 OBD II Memory Saver Connector: Automotive

which I cut the end off of and wire crimped a female accessory socket. With that, I just plugged the end of the power supply for the BlackVue in and did not have to cut the end off so it used the fuse built into the cable. I taped it with 3m tape so it doesn't come decoupled in the future. I then zip tied that bundle behind the side console popup panel, the one that has the magnetic door switch sensor in it.

Routing through the headliner was especially easy once I removed the rear view mirrors and brackets on both sides. The headliner has popout fastener so you just pull down and the hole thing pretty much comes away from the roof.

After couple of days of research, I bought the required spare parts for installing the BlackVue DR650DW-2CH dashcam. My wife told me NOT to F#$@# with the brand new TMS and get it done professionally. I obliged!
I went to Tesla SC @ Watertown, MA on Tuesday (6/16/05). I asked whether they could dashcam install. They referred to me AVIBOSTON in Newton, MA. I fixed up an appt this morning (6/18/05) and got my Blackvue dashcam DR650GW-2CH installed nicely. Absolutely clean job; no drilling; no protruding wires, no dust. I bought the equipment and they charged me $596.25 for install. They claimed that they took 5 hours to complete the install.
Though AVIBoston had installed dashcam on a Tesla before they still had questions. Apparently, they had called Tesla Watertown SC to clarify few things and Tesla seemed to have responded and very well.
I may have overspent but I have a peace of mind.
Hey! it works!

After couple of days of research, I bought the required spare parts for installing the BlackVue DR650DW-2CH dashcam. My wife told me NOT to F#$@# with the brand new TMS and get it done professionally. I obliged!
I may have overspent but I have a peace of mind.
Hey! it works!
You also avoided the wrath of the wife! That itself is worth the $596.25!

Yeah, routing down and around the bottom portion of the hatch through an existing exit was an option in my install, but I tried this again on the P85D (third one of these installs I've done...) and it was quite a pain... enough that I decided again that just drilling a small hole was the simplest solution.

Yeah, routing down and around the bottom portion of the hatch through an existing exit was an option in my install, but I tried this again on the P85D (third one of these installs I've done...) and it was quite a pain... enough that I decided again that just drilling a small hole was the simplest solution.

Hey wk507, what is the name/part number of those "annoying plastic snap-ins" you talked about in your post? My car isn't delivered yet so I can't check for myself. I'd like to buy some extras for when I eventually do my dashcam install.

Hey wk507, what is the name/part number of those "annoying plastic snap-ins" you talked about in your post? My car isn't delivered yet so I can't check for myself. I'd like to buy some extras for when I eventually do my dashcam install.

I don't know, honestly. I explained to the service center what I needed and they were able to find it.

These are the clips.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040CTTH4

The photo on amazon shows them slightly bluer than greener, but when they came, they were exactly the same color as the factory clips. You can't tell them apart.

sorka - thanks for contributing to this thread!

Can you elaborate on "removed the rear view mirrors"? did you mean the sun visors?

Yea, I totally goofed that. I removed the sun visors. Once those were out, the entire headliner just pops out from its clips.

- - - Updated - - -

Which wire is power and ground?

Black=ground?
red or green= power?

please help
image.jpg

From the thread I made about the install:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...adar-Detector-Dashcam-and-Laser-Jammer-(LONG)

I pulled the front part of the grill down and was welcomed by the site of the empty plug with 3 wires. I got my volt meter and measured the voltage on each wire. Looking at the picture you see the 3 wires. Black of course is ground, the green provided a little more than 10 volts (not enough) and the orange was what I needed for my 12 volt source. This is 3 wires into a 4 hole connector. I really did not want to tap into these wires, SO I found some PWM female connectors and wired it to where I could use the ground and the 12 volt orange wire source. The blackview comes with so much cabling that I would not use that I cut the wire really short so I would not have a bunch of wire hanging in the mic area rattling. I cut the fuse out as well. I’m letting Tesla’s fuse handle it. I tapped that in and placed it in the mic area.
This is the wire I tapped into
IMG_1895.jpg

You can use a volt meter (if you dont have one I suggest purchasing a cheap one at sears) and use the black fro ground and measure the voltage from each of the other two wires.

Which wire is power and ground?

Black=ground?
red or green= power?

please help

The post above mine is a better answer than I will provide.

That being said, if you look at my post here, my configuration was very similar to yours: Blackvue 650 - Are only options for rear camera drilling hole or showing cable? - Page 2

The green wire in my picture also had that little bit of red in it, and was also in between the black and the other wire. Apparently it was the other wire that carried the power, as I connected the black wire to the black wire, and the red wire to the buff colored wire in my picture, which would be that pink with blue wire in your picture.

Again, the other answer is better than mine.

Yep that's correct. I still don't know why I do not own a voltmeter at home. Thank you all for the replies,I got my cameras installed.

Confirmed: black equals ground; red equals 12 V

Not it sure what the 10V green wire is intended

I didn't drill or "jump the gap". I pulled the video cable through the passenger boot and after failing my drill attempt, I simply closed the boot and taped the wire down with black duct (my car is flat black) to run over to the middle of the trunk window. Managed to do it without breaking any clips. Wow.
image.jpg