Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try 6.6B

Except that wasn't "lost" it was embezzled.

And not in one shot by one person either.

They sell straws at the grocery store my dude, no need to grasp for them on the internet.

Plus of course, that cash is (assuming they didn't set it on fire) still going to circulate from whomever took and continue to do useful economic work.

The lost BTC is just going to sit there on the blockchain never doing anything useful ever again besides taking up space.

Gold, for one. The amount of gold there is, is what there is. The gold standard was a major cause of the Great Depression, and the major reason it lasted so long.

See above.

Fiat cannot be perfectly regulated. Crypto (including BTC) cannot be regulated at all. The amount there is is what there is. Even just the U.S. economy is far too large to be mediated by the amount of Bitcoin that can ever exist, and it's a lot worse if we talk about the global economy.

One of the MANY things that crypto boosters don't understand is that for trade to operate smoothly, the amount of currency in circulation must suit the amount of goods being traded.

Of course scammers can always make another crypto, creating "money" out of thin air, which is what you accuse government of doing, and nobody can stop them. With crypto you'll never have a quantity of currency that matches the economy's need for currency.

Scarcity is not what you want for good money. The correct amount is what you want: Not too much, not too little. Crypto cannot achieve this. Gold cannot achieve this.

Another thing that crypto boosters fail to comprehend: Money serves three purposes: Exchange, store of value, and investment. For store of value you'd like a constant value. But for investment there has to be a small, steady, predictable amount of inflation. The reason nobody will ever invest crypto is that they hope it will rise in price. When the currency rises in price, nobody invests, and a modern industrial economy cannot function without investment. Inflation insures that people will invest their money rather than stuffing it in a mattress, or leaving it in a crypto wallet.

Lie.

Lie.

The very fact that it cannot be "manipulated" is what you fail to see as its supreme flaw, making it useless as currency. Again, you fail to comprehend how critical it is that the amount of currency in circulation matches the amount needed for trade and investment.

Again, zero inflation means zero investment and the entire industrial economy grinds to a halt. The pseudoeconomists promoting crypto (to bolster their own speculation) simply fail to comprehend the necessity of investment.

Exactly: The quantity is fixed, so there's just not enough available to mediate commerce and productive activity.

What's really stark here, and that you again fail to comprehend, is that if the value of the currency keeps rising, nobody will ever invest in or engage in productive activity. The entire economy will collapse because everybody will keep all their money in their digital wallet.

Let's say you invest a better mouse trap. You want to build them to sell. You go to your neighbor and tell him "I need 1,000 BTC so I can buy lumber and steel so I can make mousetraps to sell. We'll make 10% profit because my mousetraps are so good. Your neighbor is going to tell you "No way! My BTC is going to be worth double by next year. I'm keeping it. I'm not going to invest in your mousetrap factory." Multiply that by all the productive activity of the whole economy.

Crypto is useless as currency because there's not enough of it and its value is too unstable. As a store of value it's a gamble. You might win, you might lose. And nobody will invest it in productive enterprise.

"Kicks out crooks"??? Are you kidding me??? Crooks LOVE crypto. When a crook takes your BTC and fails to deliver what was promised, you have NO recourse. When a crook hacks your computer or kidnaps your child and you have to pay ransom in BTC, you have no recourse. (The same is true of cash, but BTC is just SOOOOO much easier for the crooks.)

Right now the whole system of maintaining the ledger is financed by the node operators mining more coins. Once there are no more coins, they'll have to start charging to maintain the ledger. And that's WAY more expensive than what banks do. Small purchases will cost more to process than the cost of the thing you're buying.

The amount of gold there is, is what there is.

The global supply of gold grows at about 2% a year, by design. It is not a fixed supply. Therefore, every 50 yrs or so the supply of gold doubles. Gold does not fit your example. Try again.

Not to mention the future ideas being thrown around to send a mining ship to the nearest asteroid belt and bring back rare metals found there. Which would destroy whatever market there was for whichever metals they find. Gold included.

And the simple fact that gold was backing fiat had nothing to do with the Great Depression. It had everything to do with poor fiat management by the Fed. Gold doesn't make decisions, people did.
And if people are left to make mistakes, they either learn from them, or they fail. That's how it's suppose to be. Actions require consequences. That's what's wrong with the current system. The wrong people end up paying for poor fiat mismanagement.

The economy is far too large to be mediated by the amount of Bitcoin that can ever exist
The USD has 100 pennies per dollar.
1 bitcoin (not crypto) can be divided into 100 Million satoshis.
So for example, if 1 bitcoin = $30k USD, then it takes 3000 sats to make $1.
But as the natural open free market that would return under a Bitcoin standard currency, the pricing could still fluctuate organically.
There's no reason that 3000 sats per dollar couldn't become 300 sats per dollar, or 30 sats per dollar.

So instead of expanding the supply of dollars up by creating them out of thin air, natural expansion can occur on the other side of the decimal point, but only when the actual market of real goods and services decides it. Not when Wall Street or the government does.
That's the difference. Open your mentality outside the current system, and stop trying to prove how Bitcoin (not crypto) doesn't work inside it. And I completely agree with you! The current system is broken. Why would we want to try and put Bitcoin's round peg in that system's square hole?

1 BTC = 1 BTC
The price of BTC in USD is irrelevant. The value in BTC is what matters. And that is on the rise, unlike the USD which is inevitably going to zero. And the USD's stability is also getting worse, while BTC's (not crypto) stability will continue to improve as adoption grows.

The global economy under a Bitcoin (not crypto) standard will look/work completely differently, because it won't need the gov/Fed/cental bank oversight to regulate it. It will be far more peer-to-peer interactions.
But this doesn't happen overnight. I'm sure as a transitional period, we'll see countries continue to adopt bitcoin to back their existing fiat. Then, as those fiats still eventually fail, they'll move to bitcoin (not crypto) directly. But the Bitcoin network isn't really ready for that anyway, yet, so a slow transition is the smart approach. Advancements in level 2 techs are making BTC easier to use. The Lightning network is a good first step, and eventually there will be new advancements developed that either enhance Lighting, or replace it altogether. That's what tech does. It evolves, increases efficiencies.

for trade to operate smoothly, the amount of currency in circulation must suit the amount of goods being traded.
New debt is required to manipulate that currency fluctuation.
So yes, that system fails without direct manipulation of the currency in circulation.

The new system doesn't require new debt. It actually holds the massive corporations accountable for poor business practices.
It exposes them without the Gov bailing them out because they're "too big to fail".
If companies were not able to take advantage of the not-yet-inflated money they get from central banks right after massive money printing by the Fed, they would then be in the same boat as the rest of us, level the playing field, and have real consequences to poor management.
The mentality of the "economy" can't just be Wall St related.
The USA is no longer the industrial power it used to be. And that's squarely on the shoulders of all the politicians who use the lie of a "strong" economy equaling a numbers up Wall St.
It's only the financial power at this point, and even that is crumbling because other countries are starting to see they don't need to own US debt anymore.
The bond market is collapsing. That's all the Fed really cares about. Nothing else matters to them. Because they know if that fails, they've failed, and everyone will see the house of cards shell game that they've been running for over a century is done.

True investments are in production of real goods and services, not just Futures and paper on Wall St.
We need more people investing in themselves, starting their own businesses again. Not sending their "investment" money overseas where all the real productivity has been sent.

if the value of the currency keeps rising, nobody will ever invest in or engage in productive activity.

A slow rise in the value of the currency won't eliminate investing in good production activity.
On the contrary, if people can take more chances on opportunities of their own, like a small business, because of a more stable currency and less risk, there will still be economic growth. They just won't have to rely on "neighbors", banks, or other debt, because they'll be able to actually save up for it. And not be so reliant on Wall St/central banking. Think outside of the box of Keynesian economy classes.

Take a look into the history of the gold Florin. It was the currency used in the Italian region from the mid-1200's to the mid-1400's.
It was a currency that remained mostly constant during that time, because the rulers left it alone, which led to economic stability, and eventually allowed people to stop living day to day and start planning ahead, which further stabilized the society to the point of expanding the economy so much that it led to the Renaissance Age. Because the money was stable, people's time preference slowed and could begin other interests, like art and culture. The Renaissance is widely considered one of the most concentrated eras of human growth in history. And it would not have been possible without the stability that the Florin provided.
Of course greedy and corrupt dictators wouldn't leave it alone and eventually manipulated it as well. But the 2 centuries of the stable gold Florin is one of the longest lasting examples of a sound money base in history.

the whole system of maintaining the ledger is financed by the node operators mining more coins.

Miners and network nodes are two different things.

The miners do the proof of work required to enter the transactions to the ledger.
They are compensated with transaction fees and a block reward. The fees vary based on volume of the transactions, but still typically cheaper than other forms of money transfers. And the block reward is the only way new BTC (not crypto) is introduced to the supply. (until the final 21million are mined)
As the block rewards are halved every ~4 yrs, the miners have already adapted their transaction fees to make sure it is still profitable to continue once the block rewards are less, and eventually gone.

The job of verifying those transactions and keeping the ledger clean and true is done by the vast network of decentralized nodes running the Bitcoin core software all around the world. And anyone can run a node, become a part of securing the safest decentralized ledger in history.

The miners need the nodes and vise versa. It's a symbiotic relationship.
Unlike the current system which is a parasitic relationship of the Fed and Gov at the top feeding off everyone at the bottom through theft by inflation, taxation, and currency manipulation.

Money serves three purposes: Exchange, store of value, and investment.

- Medium of exchange: A portable instrument that is used as an intermediary to facilitate the sale and purchase of goods between parties.
- Store of Value: An asset that can retain its purchasing power into the future and can be retrieved to be used again at a later time.
The value of the US dollar has lost more than 96% of its purchasing power since the creation of the Federal Reserve in 1913.

- Unit of Account: Keeps track of changes in the value of items over time and multiple transactions.
This is not what investments do. Investment is not a primary purpose/function of money. It's not even a secondary function.
Investments are not a required purpose for money at all.
It sounds more like what a ledger does. Like what the Bitcoin (not crypto) blockchain does. Hmm.

Dude, we can pick each other's cases apart forever. I'm not trying to convert you.
Simply trying to put to rest some false accusations against Bitcoin (not crypto) that are out there and hopefully encourage others to do their own research.
If it's not for you, so be it. I just don't want someone hearing false negatives and making up their mind based on those.
Education is everything. And in a world of "fake news" channels, and clickbait cherry-picking articles, it's hard to know what's real and what isn't.
The toughest to get to listen are those, like you, who have benefitted the most from the current system. Why would they want anything to change? They're happy with the status quo, I get it.
But for every 1 of those folks, there are 10 people who aren't happy with the current system, and may not know they can do something about it now.
I'm here for them.

What could possibly go wrong with using an unregulated computer program of unknown origin operating on millions of machines and that can range in value from zero to infinite as currency?
"unknown origin"? It's an open-source protocol that anyone is free to go over with a fine-tooth comb, and thousands have.
Are you referencing that the creator is unknown? Not sure why that matters if all of their work can be openly verified.
The fact that it is run on all those machines is precisely why it's so secure. It's by design.
Not sure what you mean by "range in value".
The USD has lost more than 98% of its purchasing power since the inception of the Federal Reserve in 1913.
So would you rather put your money in a fiat currency that has done nothing but go to zero?
Or find something that actually works as a store of value.

The global supply of gold grows at about 2% a year, by design. It is not a fixed supply. Therefore, every 50 yrs or so the supply of gold doubles. Gold does not fit your example. Try again.

Not to mention the future ideas being thrown around to send a mining ship to the nearest asteroid belt and bring back rare metals found there. Which would destroy whatever market there was for whichever metals they find. Gold included.

<...snip...>

No. The gold supply does not grow by design. It grows by mining, as people and corporations dig it up as fast as they can. The supply is still nowhere near enough to mediate a global economy.

A "mining ship" to the asteroids is fantasy. We won't have the technology to do that for a hundred years, and it will never be possible to do it at a cost that would make it worthwhile. But I'm glad you used that argument because it's as ridiculous as the rest of the arguments that you or anybody else has ever put forward to justify Bitcoin or any other crypto. And no, Bitcoin is in no way superior to any other crypto, and it's probably worse than many, since others have learned from Bitcoin's mistakes.

Google reports that there are almost twenty-three thousand different cryptocurrencies. You are fighting a lost battle trying to convince anybody that your preferred one is somehow The Answer To All Our Economic Woes. This is one of the problems with crypto (including BTC) that anybody who wants to can invent a new one, and if they can convince people to buy it, it will join in the never-ending parade of useless digital garbage that is crypto.

The USD has lost more than 98% of its purchasing power since the inception of the Federal Reserve in 1913.
So would you rather put your money in a fiat currency that has done nothing but go to zero?

I'm not sure I understand what this means. If I take $100 and put it in a bank and don't touch it, it won't go to zero. It will still be $100 (plus interest). In 50 years that $100 won't buy as much because of inflation, but it is still $100 (plus interest). I think most people would take that $100 and invest it in the market which has returned something like 6-8% a year on average. Nobody puts that $100 in a box and leaves it untouched. They put it to work in some way. Maybe buying bitcoin is a good use for that $100. Time will tell.

If someone had invested $100 in the S&P Index in 1913, and reinvested all dividends, they would have around $3,812,000 today. That would have the buying power that $113,000 had in 1913. In real terms, their money would have grown over a thousand-fold in buying power.

If they'd put that $100 in a box and buried it in the back yard it's unlikely that anybody other than a collector would recognize it as real money today. I'm not certain it would even be legal tender today.

FWIW, the latest interest rate for 13-week Treasury bills is around 5 1/4%. If you have US dollars in the bank that you won't need for 13 weeks, you should buy Treasury bills instead. You can buy them online from Treasury Direct. It costs nothing to set up an account.

Blockchain has been around for a long time. Bitcoin is a new application of blockchain that doesn’t really function as a currency or an investment. It’s a speculation based on a “ story “ that has captured the public’s attention for awhile now. it will probably be around for the foreseeable future where it will continue to be the currency of the future.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand what this means. If I take $100 and put it in a bank and don't touch it, it won't go to zero. It will still be $100 (plus interest). In 50 years that $100 won't buy as much because of inflation, but it is still $100 (plus interest). I think most people would take that $100 and invest it in the market which has returned something like 6-8% a year on average. Nobody puts that $100 in a box and leaves it untouched. They put it to work in some way. Maybe buying bitcoin is a good use for that $100. Time will tell.
Hey Chucky, thanks for the reply.
So I'm referring to the purchasing power of the money. The denomination on the bill is irrelevant.
$100 today can only buy 2% of what it could in 1913.
And it doesn't need to be that way.
The Fed and Gov have manipulated the money to the point where we are today. And they aren't going to stop.

- FDR banned the public from owning gold so they could increase their stock. Paid everyone the going rate for it at that time, then shortly after, made up a new higher value of the same gold.
- Nixon removed gold as the standard that backed USD because other countries wanted their gold back that we were holding, and once our supply was getting too low, Nixon just rug pulled them all by taking the USD off the gold standard.
Every time in history, when things get tough for the Fed or Gov, they take the easy way out, steal from us, print more money, save their own necks, and leave the rest of us to pay for their incompetence.

Inflation is hidden theft.
You said most people don't just hold their money. They invest it in Wall St, with annual gains of 6-8%?
Well the true inflation rate today is double digits. Ignore that BS figure the Fed tries to say. It's total crap and manipulated.
So even if you find a higher risk investment that returns 10%, you're still losing money!

The Fed's "target inflation rate" was 2%. Why? Because that means it took 50 yrs for the money to lose half of it's value.
50 yrs is spread out long enough that most people, 1)Don't notice, or 2) Don't care enough to ask why and take action.

But the Fed chairman has already said that 2% probably isn't ever coming back, and that it's okay if they can get it back to 4%.
So that means, even at 4%, any money you have today will have half its value in only 25yrs.

Think about that. If you buy a house today with a 30yr fixed mortgage, the last 5 yrs of that mortgage, you'll essentially be paying double in the value of the money.
Your payment dollar figure doesn't change, but what you can buy with your money has been cut in half!
So you're mortgage may seem like a bargain, but everything else costs twice as much.

made up a new higher value

Also you

Well the true inflation rate today is double digits. Ignore that BS figure the Fed tries to say. It's total crap and manipulated.

If your economic thesis requires not believing any real world data and inventing conspiracy theories you can't show the math on, your thesis might not be entirely sound.

Double funny when you used the now apparently "fake" inflation figure in your last argument as somehow valid citing the loss of spending power of $ over time.

If someone had invested $100 in the S&P Index in 1913, and reinvested all dividends, they would have around $3,812,000 today. That would have the buying power that $113,000 had in 1913. In real terms, their money would have grown over a thousand-fold in buying power.

If they'd put that $100 in a box and buried it in the back yard it's unlikely that anybody other than a collector would recognize it as real money today. I'm not certain it would even be legal tender today.

FWIW, the latest interest rate for 13-week Treasury bills is around 5 1/4%. If you have US dollars in the bank that you won't need for 13 weeks, you should buy Treasury bills instead. You can buy them online from Treasury Direct. It costs nothing to set up an account.
Daniel, c'mon, that's cherry picking, and comparing apples to oranges.

Wall St is already working with pre-inflation money, so of course it's going to grow.

5.25% is half the current inflation rate! So you're losing money the whole 13 weeks you have your money trapped in that T-bill.

And you have to look at the other side of those bonds. Every time the Fed raises interest rates, the interest payments on all the debt that the Gov is holding goes higher and higher.
Is the Fed going to let the Gov default on those payments? No. They're just going to buy more of that debt, because no other countries are lately, so you have the Fed holding more and more of the US debt. What else can they do but print more money!
It's a vicious cycle that is coming to a breaking point.
A massive recession is very near. I'd hate to be the next President after next year's election, because it's that close.
And I for one, don't want any of my money in a stock/bond market that's going to crash.
When the bank runs begin and all hell breaks loose, I'll be happy to have bitcoin (not crypto) that is available to me 24/7.
They'll announce the bad news on a Friday afternoon and banks will be closed all weekend so they can figure out how to stop the run.
Of course the Gov will cherry pick the top 5 banks they want to bail out, which they've done in the past, and the rest of the banks will have to cave in and be absorbed by the bigger ones. It's all part of the plan to centralize the power and money. The same plan the Jekyll Island group that started the Fed hatched in 1913.
History may not repeat itself, but it sure does rhyme.

If your economic thesis requires not believing any real world data and inventing conspiracy theories you can't show the math on, your thesis might not be entirely sound.

Double funny when you used the now apparently "fake" inflation figure in your last argument as somehow valid citing the loss of spending power of $ over time.

I don't recall stating a specific inflation rate, so you'll have to refresh my memory.

Dude, the real world data is exactly why I say the Fed's CPI is BS.
The Fed gets to pick and choose whatever they want to put in their basket to calculate CPI.
Example: If eggs go up, they removed 'em and use something else that stayed constant. Eggs should never leave that basket.

So the Gov releases a bunch of oil reserve to lower our precious gas prices, and the Fed adjusts their energy basket to emphasize fuel so it lowers their inflation rate. How is that a conspiracy?

It's right here!
1689691714052.png

It's all a shell game. They move around whatever they need to at the time.
Every other category is UP. You just have to read between the numbers, not a conspiracy, it's knowing history.
They've been doing it forever.
I thought that was a given.
And no, I'm not talking about Shadowstats. Those are way too high. But it's somewhere in between.
Real world inflation rates have always been 25%-50% higher than the CPI. But it's gotten worse after COVID.
The Trillions of dollars they printed since, and then the Gov basically eliminating the debt ceiling, has us headed to hyperinflation because they can't hide it anymore. It's pretty basic Keynesian macro-economics.
Real world inflation is probably 50%-100% over CPI at this point. (my opinion)

The Fed has a playbook. But they're running out of ways to manipulate the money.

The Fed gets to pick and choose whatever they want to put in their basket to calculate CPI.
Example: If eggs go up, they removed 'em and use something else that stayed constant. Eggs should never leave that basket.

When did they remove eggs?

I ask- because this suggests they did not: Even when they went up.

Further, they change the overall "basket" formula no more than once a year, so no they can't change it whenever they want either.

And they base those changes on actual data of what consumers are actually spending on- not some "whatever makes the #s look good" criteria you are imagining.

So as with most crypto bros you appear to not have a factual understanding of any of the things you're sure are "fake" and no ability to support your argument with anything but conspiracy theories.

Proof of this claim?
They can't prove their inflation rate number, why should I?
But let's look at what is inflation:

Any increase in the money supply not supported by an increase in the production of goods and services leads to an increase in prices, but the prices of all goods do not increase simultaneously.

Inflation= Money Supply
Production

Do you really believe (because who can prove) that the increase in production (not employment) in this country has only trailed the increase in money supply added by only 3% currently, 4% last month, and 9% last year?
So, how do they justify their CPI figure?

Wall St has very little to do with true production in this country. The stock market going up is not a direct sign of a productive economy.
It's just a sign of more money supply in the system.
Technically, that could come from production, but the US hardly makes anything anymore.
We sell/export our debt, not our products. We import our products. So the stock market shows false growth.
Real production is bought from overseas by publicly traded companies on the stock market.

So how can the Fed realistically defend their CPI? The true production figures don't justify it.

When did they remove eggs?

I ask- because this suggests they did not: Even when they went up.

Further, they change the overall "basket" formula no more than once a year, so no they can't change it whenever they want either.

And they base those changes on actual data of what consumers are actually spending on- not some "whatever makes the #s look good" criteria you are imagining.

So as with most crypto bros you appear to not have a factual understanding of any of the things you're sure are "fake" and no ability to support your argument with anything but conspiracy theories.
Sorry, I should've stated it was a hypothetical example.

Oooh, good burn! :rolleyes:

Man, keep believing everything you read. I mean, why would they lie? They've done a bang up job so far.
They have your best interest in mind anyway, right?

Truflation is a project that has 10 million data points that it updates every day and it has inflation currently at 2.25% which is below the official number of 3%.

also see the Billion Prices Project that tracked 1 billion prices online. The Billion Prices Project. It followed the official numbers very closely.

Last edited:
But let's look at what is inflation:

Any increase in the money supply not supported by an increase in the production of goods and services leads to an increase in prices, but the prices of all goods do not increase simultaneously.

Inflation= Money Supply
Production

Do you really believe (because who can prove) that the increase in production (not employment) in this country has only trailed the increase in money supply added by only 3% currently, 4% last month, and 9% last year?
So, how do they justify their CPI figure?

Wall St has very little to do with true production in this country. The stock market going up is not a direct sign of a productive economy.
It's just a sign of more money supply in the system.
Technically, that could come from production, but the US hardly makes anything anymore.
We sell/export our debt, not our products. We import our products. So the stock market shows false growth.
Real production is bought from overseas by publicly traded companies on the stock market.

So how can the Fed realistically defend their CPI? The true production figures don't justify it.

Prices have gone up, but so have wages. In 1913 $1 could buy a lot more, but in 1913 the average salary was under $1K a year. Now $1 buys a lot less, but the average salary is about $50K a year

Sorry, I should've stated it was a hypothetical example.

Well, yes-- you should have.

Can you provide any actual examples supporting your claim- where they simply removed a basic/core item as soon as it went up, because it went up, and they wanted to make the #s look good and replaced it with an item that didn't go up?

Because you claimed that was why you don't believe their #- so surely you have actual examples of it happening, right?

The fact you don't understand their proof does not change the fact it exists.

And you should prove yours because it's your claim.

You won't, of course, because your claim is untrue and appears to be based on concepts you don't actually understand at all.