Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware of leeches on the Indiana toll road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dbitter1

Journeyman Member
Dec 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
So as I sat on this forum between hitting refresh on my browser on the MyTesla site while my MS was being built, I learned many things... including that the toll transponder reception is spotty on the newer cars. Not wanting to put it under the nose cone, I opted for the license plate transponder, so there would be no way I'd be "that guy" holding up a line of cars when I had to go through Indiana tolls and their silly gates.

So there I was this weekend... memorial day traffic, and managed to pick the lane with "that guy" in it... got out, started holding up his white (windshield mount) iPass, nothing would work.

Until, that is, I slowly rolled close enough to open the gates for him, and he took off like a bat out of hell... and I was stuck instead.

For those of you that may find yourself here someday, the (remote) gate agent offered to let me through if I read him the transponder number (which I could not, since it was screwed to the front of the car). I'd recommend if you have one, write the serial on a index card or something and keep it in the glove box. Or just don't let the gate close after the car in front of you. Or go to the cash lanes ALL THE TIME.

Had to swipe credit card to pay... I wonder what the statutes say about grounds for payment, if they will reverse the charge if made under duress? I can afford the $0.80, it is more a matter of principle... the toll roads around DFW go completely by license plate anyway at most stops, so since Illinois (et al) scan plates for runners, why don't they just convert to OCR rather than dealing with these horrid things anyway...?