Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware, LONG wait time for TESLA Body Shop Repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a quick summary, i picked up my X last week and absolutely love it. However, there was a small paint scratch/ding on the edge of one of the rear driver panel. I accepted delivery and my delivery rep set up a service appointment for a 1 week later.

I just took my car in to my scheduled service appt and Tesla said that they would have to send my X out to a 3rd party body shop to fix the paint ding/scratch but the first availability was 30 days out and that was the earliest one of their body shops could squeeze me in.

From my forum reading, i knew any body shop work turn around would take some time, but 30 days just to get a body shop repair appointment is a bit absurd.

Man, hopefully Tesla starts really fixing the body shop repair turn around time.

The SC in Torrance, CA does their job quicker than Culver City & Costa Mesa.

My last service appointment (3 weeks ago)
2 days for the service appointment.
4 days: car in the SC. Electronic check. Waiting for the bodyshop.
8 days: in the bodyshop.
2 days: Back to the SC. Firmware upgrade, sensor alignment.

My X has been sent to the body shop 3 times so far. Average time ~ 3 weeks.

The SC in Torrance, CA does their job quicker than Culver City & Costa Mesa.

My last service appointment (3 weeks ago)
2 days for the service appointment.
4 days: car in the SC. Electronic check. Waiting for the bodyshop.
8 days: in the bodyshop.
2 days: Back to the SC. Firmware upgrade, sensor alignment.

My X has been sent to the body shop 3 times so far. Average time ~ 3 weeks.

8 days to get in the body shop is not great but acceptable. But 30 days haha is absurd

Reactions: r0xx0r
As a quick summary, i picked up my X last week and absolutely love it. However, there was a small paint scratch/ding on the edge of one of the rear driver panel. I accepted delivery and my delivery rep set up a service appointment for a 1 week later.

I just took my car in to my scheduled service appt and Tesla said that they would have to send my X out to a 3rd party body shop to fix the paint ding/scratch but the first availability was 30 days out and that was the earliest one of their body shops could squeeze me in.

From my forum reading, i knew any body shop work turn around would take some time, but 30 days just to get a body shop repair appointment is a bit absurd.

Man, hopefully Tesla starts really fixing the body shop repair turn around time.
I'm sure it's based on where you're located, normal backlog at a particular shop, etc.

My X was rear-ended. Parts arrived on a Friday, the shop had me on on Monday - and I had my X back on the following Friday.

I've posted this before, but if you need Tesla to help with a body shop issue, you can contact a Tesla Body Shop Customer Advocate to assist you by emailing [email protected] or calling 877-798-3752 (press 2, then 4).

I'm sure it's based on where you're located, normal backlog at a particular shop, etc.

My X was rear-ended. Parts arrived on a Friday, the shop had me on on Monday - and I had my X back on the following Friday.

I've posted this before, but if you need Tesla to help with a body shop issue, you can contact a Tesla Body Shop Customer Advocate to assist you by emailing [email protected] or calling 877-798-3752 (press 2, then 4).

awesome, good to know, thx Bonnie

Reactions: bonnie
I assume you do not have to give them the car until they are ready to work on it. Correct?

If that is the case, I would say that a good body shop is worth the wait. The place we use is always a month or two wait unless you are without a car, then they squeeze you in. But if your car is drivable, or you have alternate cars, the wait is going to be long.

I assume you do not have to give them the car until they are ready to work on it. Correct?

If that is the case, I would say that a good body shop is worth the wait. The place we use is always a month or two wait unless you are without a car, then they squeeze you in. But if your car is drivable, or you have alternate cars, the wait is going to be long.
Right, I would assume that you're driving the car until it goes in for repairs, and since it's their issue (defect on pickup) that you'd get a loaner. If not, that would definitely be awful.

correct, i got my X back after a day in the SC. So while i wait for the body shop appointment, i just went ahead and did my xpel wrap on it since the panel that the paint scratch/ding is on was not being wrapped anyway. However, i had to hold off on the opti coating until after the body work is done since the entire car is being coated.

Reactions: jboy210
.... However, i had to hold off on the opti coating until after the body work is done since the entire car is being coated.

@jtdiddy not to go off topic ..but I don’t recommend opticoat (had on one my S) it has a haziness to it ...if u want a high gloss there are better products out there ..I went with a high gloss ceramic over the white/ceramic and it pops real well in the Socal sun :rolleyes:

In terms of glossiness I would rank : modesta, cquartz , kenzo , ceramic pro gold ,...the other 2 levels of ceramic pro ...than opticoat...opticoat has a separate product u can apply for glossiness but must be added every year ...I ended up using Kenzo after seeing it side by side ..with cquartz ...modesta is just a straight rip off as they want min 2600 at some shops ...I had already used opticoat and cquartz on last 2 S’s ...so on the X I wanted to try different films and ceramic..

Alas, here is a gloomy reality check on the Tesla Body Shop located in Fremont on Spinnaker Court, and on Tesla's organizational shortfalls in general.

Our family has two Tesla Model X’s: A 2016 Model X 90D, and a 2017 Model X 100D.

The 2017 Model X 100D had a rear trunk lid alignment issue when we picked it up in July 2017. 40% of the time the trunk would not close all the way, and my wife or I would have to push it shut manually. Now, after a year, the problem exists about 60% of the time. It is a monumental nuisance.

I took the car in to the Tesla Sunnyvale Service Center on June 20. They could not do a quick fix. I asked when they could get it done. They requested that I bring the car back on June 26. I dropped it off on June 26 and they advised me that they would have to send the car to the Tesla Body Shop at Spinnaker Court, Fremont. Amazingly, they said it could take upwards of 2 weeks. On July 3 I was told that the car would be ready on July 10, 2 weeks after I dropped it off.

Clearly, Tesla’s clueless approach is to take the car from the owner and leave it sitting around for 2 weeks until they get to it. What possible sense does that make when the car is perfectly capable of being driven? The alignment on the trunk lid was off by approximately 1/4”. I’ve owned a lot of cars over the years. The notion that realigning a trunk lid that is 1/4” off the mark should take two weeks is unfathomably absurd.

Here we are on July 11. The car has been up at the Spinnaker Court Body shop for over 2 weeks. The car is still not ready. Tesla's usual phony excuse for delays is that "we are waiting for parts." No new body parts were required, the car is fully capable of being driven, and yet Tesla sees fit to warehouse a customer’s car for two weeks. For what?

We paid cash for the 2016 Model X. We leased the 2017 Model X that has been hijacked by the Tesla Body Shop. During that 2 week period, absolutely nothing has been done to the car. Gee, do I still have to pay lease payments for a car that Tesla is storing in its body shop? Gee, do I actually have to drive around in a beat up 2014 Model S "loaner" with 50K miles on it, with all sorts of noises, dents, and problems, only one engine, and the the stench of cigarette smoke?

Clearly, when a vehicle needs a simple repair for an issue that does not even slightly affect its ability to be driven, Tesla should not be hijacking the car to one of its parking lots and let it sit there while nothing is being done. Hello? The car should be delivered to the body shop when the body shop is prepared to perform the repair.

Given that this is a leased car, with a trunk lid that has been out of alignment since the day the car was picked up, Tesla ought to be doing a more competent job of doing things right. Tesla should also credit the lease payment for the time period during which the car was unnecessarily removed from the possession and use of its owner: over one half of a month.

My vehicle has been taken from my lease use for a 2 week period, without any rational reason whatsoever, to remedy an extremely minor problem that has existed since the car was delivered, is very easy to fix, and did not affect the ability of the car to be driven. Yet the car has been sitting idle and unattended for that entire length of time.

I leased the 2017 Model X because my intention was to get a new Model X every 3 years. Our plan was to keep the 2016 for a long duration. Given Tesla’s ill advised approach to warehousing cars that need minor repairs for 2 week periods, that logic no longer makes sense. It now makes sense to evaluate carefully the upcoming EV designs from Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, and others, manufactured by companies with a deeper bench and a better understanding that customer sales are all about customer service after the sale.

OK, we are all beta testers for assisted steering, autonomous driving, the maddening sloppy software that produces so many "loading error" messages when trying to play songs from our USB's, sloppy fit of body panels, etc., etc., ad infinitum. I don't mind being a beta tester for new stuff. But it's not beta testing when a car company hijacks your car for over 2 weeks and lets it sit at a body shop while nothing is done.

Last edited:
After reading these stories and more, if my car needs work done by an official body shop I will hold on to the car until they day they are ready to start repairs. And by ready I mean have the parts in the shop. If it is for a crash I would rather drive the car with duct tape holding panels on instead of having it wait for parts for weeks

Alas, here is a gloomy reality check on the Tesla Body Shop located in Fremont on Spinnaker Court, and on Tesla's organizational shortfalls in general.

Our family has two Tesla Model X’s: A 2016 Model X 90D, and a 2017 Model X 100D.

The 2017 Model X 100D had a rear trunk lid alignment issue when we picked it up in July 2017. 40% of the time the trunk would not close all the way, and my wife or I would have to push it shut manually. Now, after a year, the problem exists about 60% of the time. It is a monumental nuisance.

I took the car in to the Tesla Sunnyvale Service Center on June 20. They could not do a quick fix. I asked when they could get it done. They requested that I bring the car back on June 26. I dropped it off on June 26 and they advised me that they would have to send the car to the Tesla Body Shop at Spinnaker Court, Fremont. Amazingly, they said it could take upwards of 2 weeks. On July 3 I was told that the car would be ready on July 10, 2 weeks after I dropped it off.

Clearly, Tesla’s clueless approach is to take the car from the owner and leave it sitting around for 2 weeks until they get to it. What possible sense does that make when the car is perfectly capable of being driven? The alignment on the trunk lid was off by approximately 1/4”. I’ve owned a lot of cars over the years. The notion that realigning a trunk lid that is 1/4” off the mark should take two weeks is unfathomably absurd.

Here we are on July 11. The car has been up at the Spinnaker Court Body shop for over 2 weeks. The car is still not ready. Tesla's usual phony excuse for delays is that "we are waiting for parts." No new body parts were required, the car is fully capable of being driven, and yet Tesla sees fit to warehouse a customer’s car for two weeks. For what?

We paid cash for the 2016 Model X. We leased the 2017 Model X that has been hijacked by the Tesla Body Shop. During that 2 week period, absolutely nothing has been done to the car. Gee, do I still have to pay lease payments for a car that Tesla is storing in its body shop? Gee, do I actually have to drive around in a beat up 2014 Model S "loaner" with 50K miles on it, with all sorts of noises, dents, and problems, only one engine, and the the stench of cigarette smoke?

Clearly, when a vehicle needs a simple repair for an issue that does not even slightly affect its ability to be driven, Tesla should not be hijacking the car to one of its parking lots and let it sit there while nothing is being done. Hello? The car should be delivered to the body shop when the body shop is prepared to perform the repair.

Given that this is a leased car, with a trunk lid that has been out of alignment since the day the car was picked up, Tesla ought to be doing a more competent job of doing things right. Tesla should also credit the lease payment for the time period during which the car was unnecessarily removed from the possession and use of its owner: over one half of a month.

My vehicle has been taken from my lease use for a 2 week period, without any rational reason whatsoever, to remedy an extremely minor problem that has existed since the car was delivered, is very easy to fix, and did not affect the ability of the car to be driven. Yet the car has been sitting idle and unattended for that entire length of time.

I leased the 2017 Model X because my intention was to get a new Model X every 3 years. Our plan was to keep the 2016 for a long duration. Given Tesla’s ill advised approach to warehousing cars that need minor repairs for 2 week periods, that logic no longer makes sense. It now makes sense to evaluate carefully the upcoming EV designs from Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, and others, manufactured by companies with a deeper bench and a better understanding that customer sales are all about customer service after the sale.

OK, we are all beta testers for assisted steering, autonomous driving, the maddening sloppy software that produces so many "loading error" messages when trying to play songs from our USB's, sloppy fit of body panels, etc., etc., ad infinitum. I don't mind being a beta tester for new stuff. But it's not beta testing when a car company hijacks your car for over 2 weeks and lets it sit at a body shop while nothing is done.

Literally have not had my brand new X for 3 weeks now because of the Sunnyvale Service. What a joke. I had to argue for a crap model s loaner as they were going to give me a Kia. I escalated and nothing helped. Trying Santa Clara next time

• Informative
Reactions: neroden