Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best UHFS audio settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive spent some time in my 2014 Model S with the ultra high fidelity sound upgrade, and have been impressed and disappointed at the same time...

I think the majority of people on this forum will really like the UHFS system for its hard hitting bass, no rattles, clearly heard mid range, treble, soundstage, etc...

If your the type that likes to fiddle with the EQ for different songs to add flair, or prefer a more typical consumer oriented sound signature that excites the senses and helps mask the artifacts in your low bitrate streaming music, this thread is not for you.

When it comes to the finer things like accuracy, tonality, timbre and transparency, the system is a nightmare. Sure, a non trained ear will not notice because the system is tuned with a W shaped, in-your-face type of tuning to simulate clarity while still offering gut punching bass. But really, there are huge peaks and valleys everywhere. Voices and instruments sound way off from the original recording. Even with the EQ set to flat and Dolby off, there is alot of DSP wizardry going on that makes things sound way too over-processed. Even simply adjusting the volume level downwards causes the system to automagically apply a loudness curve to boost the bass and treble frequencies for lower volume listening. I also hear strange, faint ringing tones in certain passages that arent normally there.

I really wish I could turn all of this processing off and just listen to a straight signal....

I use the following audio settings to try and compensate for the lack of tonal accuracy and bass response with mild success.

Bass: -12.0
Midbass: -10.0
Mids: -6.5
Mid-Treble: -11.5
Treble: -9.5
Dolby: OFF
Source: USB audio, lossless files

Thats right, I cut every frequency range into the negatives. The problem with boosting is it can cause distortion and other funky things. Ive tried applying the same relative curve but boosting instead of cutting, and it results in the bass becoming totally out of control. Sure, you will lose some overall volume, but cranking the system to 10 and beyond still seems plenty loud to me, well above a typical 90db reference.

Using my settings, I find the bass to be a bit tighter, midrange accuracy is dramatically improved, and the harshness in the upper mids-lower treble is finally gone. Detail is improved, and the sound is generally more relaxed and tamed (in a good way).

Despite turning the bass all the way down, I still hear a huge peak somewhere that becomes overpowering on certain tracks, and there is still the automagic loudness curve. With these settings, the system sounds best at volume 9 or 10. There are also some problems with the upper treble losing detail after applying such a large cut. But unfortunately it was necessary to get rid of the harshness. I really wish the Tesla had a parametric EQ....

I've tried other settings from this forum that people recommend, and with all due respect, I really cant understand how people can listen to this system with everything boosted with a smiley face EQ, dolby on, etc... It makes it sound like the music is coming from a tube, with the goal of altering the the song as much as possible to stimulate the senses and fool yourself into thinking its a live performance. This is an exercise it futility and ruins the atmosphere of the original recording and the intention of the artist.

I personally prefer to hear bad recordings sound bad, and good recordings sound good. Almost holographic and transparent in nature, like listening to music by plugging a USB cable straight into your brain. A sound system should be like a chameleon and change its character based on the track thats being played, as opposed to trying to make every track sound "good".

I would really like you guys to try these settings for a few days (let your ears adjust, give it a chance), and will appreciate some feedback or suggestions. Feel free to post your settings as well. Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
Very interesting settings you have got there... I will try them out next time I get in my car...

I have the UHFS... overall... I dont really mind the boosted bass and treble... it's a car... not your man cave in the basement...

But it seems to me that for whatever reason... the vocal sounds like it is in the background with the music in the foreground... and with no amount of playing with the EQ fixes this for me... however.. turning on Dolby fixes this... it brings the vocal back to the foreground but kills the music...

I suppose each to their own however... everybody responses a bit differently to sound and different tastes etc...

I will write back once I get to try your settings over the weekend

For the model 3 here’s what I’ve found sounds most true:

Anyone notice a weird, subtle, yet consistent ringing that accompanies all bass in every Tesla sound system? I’ve heard it in my Model S, Model X, and now in the 3. I’ve looked through the forums and nobody’s talking about it. Figured in this thread I might find the right audience :)

Attachments

• AEB5E455-7659-495B-981F-92E3A04A10EC.jpeg
    AEB5E455-7659-495B-981F-92E3A04A10EC.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 409
Thanks for your Model 3 settings! You definitely have come to the right place .

My settings have changed a lot since v9 and my original post. I perceived an improvement in DSP with v9. More balance and better soundstage with "immersive sound" instead of Dolby. My settings nowadays are:

-1.5, 0, 0, -1.5, -1.5, immersive sound standard/Dolby On

v9 under default settings has EQ zeroed, Dolby/immersive standard on, for reference.

I also realized it's very important to tune the audio to your most frequently used volume and to tune while the car is being driven. Tuning the bass while the car is stationary does not take road noise rumble into account. This is why many car systems are tuned bassy, it's on purpose.

But under stock settings, and even tuned, the sound is way too synthetic.

I must be starkly different. I think the bass is relatively lacking at 0, but I listen to a lot of electronic music. Mine is 8/2/-1.5/1.5/5.5 and Dolby ON... but I have noticed recently Dolby is sometimes toggling itself off when I get in the car?

Yes, I noticed Dolby turns itself on and off. Sometimes immersive sound appears randomly. Also often plays random tracks at full blast when getting in the car.

Sound quality is all subjective. I've noticed most people are like you and go for a dramatic type of effect. Loud like a concert.

I like to tune my system to be more accurate to the recording rather than try to simulate real life.

It's like a consumer sound vs. a nice proper "flat" sound. I guess it's like wine in that if you listen closely, the finer details in the midrange show themselves with realism in the track. You can't get that with a bloated sound signature.

Last edited:
Thanks @eyedrop. This opened my eyes.

I’ve played with the Eq settings, even doing some level measurements, to try and get it flatter. After playing with the sound today, I realized there is something horrible going in the equalizer - especially the middle three bands. Dolby was off.

Everyone should try this experiment - my result varied a great deal by particular song, so try several times. Listen to a song you like. Pause it. Move all the equalizer settings to the minimum (-12). Adjust the volume back to a normal level (plus 3 or so)

Then with the music playing, move each band of the equalizer from -12 to 0. On all but the bass channel, I got terrible distortion and muddling/whooshing as I increased the level. sorry I don’t know a better word for that, but the best I can describe is it feels like really poor digital reverb.

I will continue to play with this.

OP here. My settings have changed ever since V9 launched. To my ears, they changed the DSP for the better and the sound overall is less peaky in the frequency response.

I also realized that you must tune the system while the vehicle is rolling. The reason is the bass needs to cut through the low rumble of rough roads. This is why most car systems are tuned on the bassy side.

My current settings for UHFS Model S:

-1.0, 0, 0, -1.0, -0.5
Dolby ON / Immersive sound standard.

The bass still has the obnoxious peak in the driver's seat at around 45hz and lacks control. DSP is very fatiguing for a long listen but unfortunately sounds like crap at low volumes. Artificial sheen on everything. But the soundstage, detail, and fake dynamics aren't bad. (This is just me being picky. Most untrained ears and even trained like the system).

The system actually has better balance in the back seat, and it helps mitigate the listening fatigue greatly since you're getting a more relaxed presentation. Up front, the DSP is really in your face and shoutey.

Reference system: Etymotic Er4SR and USB dac audio interface.

Last edited: