Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Model S Interior Colors?

Best Model S Interior Colors?

• Black w/Figured Ash decor

Votes: 30 24.4%
  • White w/Dark Ash decor

Votes: 35 28.5%
  • Cream w/Oak decor

Votes: 41 33.3%
  • None, they all kinda suck.

Votes: 17 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FutureShock

Best Coast Denizen
Aug 30, 2017
NorCal
Poll has the interior options as of December 2019 (and likely early 2020).
And is relevant to my interests, as I'm likely getting a Raven S in early 2020. :)

IMO all three current options are interesting, but none are perfect, of course:

Black w/Figured Ash decor
Advantages: Acceptable to most, doesn't show dirt, the 'safe' choice.
Disadvantages: Almost boringly common, hot in summer.

White w/Dark Ash decor
Advantages: Nice bright 'clean' look, cooler in summer, not everyone has it.
Disadvantages: Continual worries over stains/dirt even if it holds up well.

Cream w/Oak decor
Advantages: 'Classy/expensive' look, not bad on heat or dirt.
Disadvantages: Could seem dated/'old man-ish' to some.

What do you think is best, and why? And what say those who've lived with any of the options for awhile? :cool:

Last edited:
I went with the white w/ dark ash because I hated the the look of the oak. Looked really cheap to me. If they offered Cream w/ Dark Ash or Carbon Fiber I would have been all over that.

I really don't understand why they restrict you to specific combinations. The seats/panels/headliner are completely separate from the trim. We should be able to select any combination of currently available seats/panels/headliner and trims separately from one another.

Reactions: FutureShock
I went with the white w/ dark ash because I hated the the look of the oak. Looked really cheap to me. If they offered Cream w/ Dark Ash or Carbon Fiber I would have been all over that.

I really don't understand why they restrict you to specific combinations. The seats/panels/headliner are completely separate from the trim. We should be able to select any combination of currently available seats/panels/headliner and trims separately from one another.
Totally agree. Tesla used to offer the option of carbon fiber trim on all their interiors, and cream w/CF decor was a sharp combo indeed.

I suppose you can still get the CF trim aftermarket, but still, would be easier and cheaper to just order it from the factory.

Reactions: Fred42
Poll has the interior options as of December 2019 (and likely early 2020).
And is relevant to my interests, as I'm likely getting a Raven S in early 2020. :)

IMO all three current options are interesting, but none are perfect, of course:

Black w/Figured Ash decor
Advantages: Acceptable to most, doesn't show dirt, the 'safe' choice.
Disadvantages: Almost boringly common, hot in summer.

White w/Dark Ash decor
Advantages: Nice bright 'clean' look, cooler in summer, not everyone has it.
Disadvantages: Continual worries over stains/dirt even if it holds up well.

Cream w/Oak decor
Advantages: 'Classy/expensive' look, not bad on heat or dirt.
Disadvantages: Could seem dated/'old man-ish' to some.

What do you think is best, and why? And what say those who've lived with any of the options for awhile? :cool:

None of these look good to me. I clicked on Black with Figured Ash only because after you take delivery you can have carbon fiber trim installed to replace the wood, and then it will look good.

Cream/Oak is doin’ pretty well in the poll so far. :cool:

How do ppl feel about the whole ‘classy vs dated’ debate about it?

And how many would get aftermarket carbon fiber trim to replace the oak, as opposed to lovin’ the oak?

Also wonder if one’s age has anything to do with the answers on these, or not. I myself am in my early 50s, by way of full disclosure. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: BulldogsRus
I'd trade my carbon for oak in a heartbeat. Carbon fiber seemed like a cool idea at the time but it anti-grew on me and now it just seems a little too much boy-racer for what is otherwise a sedate and classy automobile. Maybe on a Roadster it would feel right to me but my S deserves some wood or brushed aluminum. There's no connection to carbon fiber aside from the spoiler and it looks half finished.

The black is fine and classic, but it is such a sea of black in there that it is hard to get excite about it. The white would have looked better in a sort of parchment, off-white vs. the refrigerator appliance white they elected to go with. That leaves the cream, which is a huge improvement shade-wise over the old tan. I saw one in person a while back and it was very nice. Indeed, I think they recently switched the Model S ' cream interior to have black carpet instead of cream (fixing its only real flaw).

Reactions: FutureShock
But more seriously, if I were ordering today, I would be feeling a bit boxed-in by the limited choices available.

Oh, for the "good old days" when you could choose upholstery colors and wood trim separately (and maybe headliner color, too).

Yeah, it’d be nice if they’d give you a ton of mix and match interior options, the way say Porsche does it.

Of course though, with Porsche you pay through the nose for the privilege. :eek:

The black is fine and classic, but it is such a sea of black in there that it is hard to get excite about it.
It feels to me (and I could be wrong) that, after a long period of black interiors being utterly dominant, we’re starting to move away from that a bit.

The exception would be among the twenty-somethings, who still seem mesmerized by it. That, and limo tint. :p

Anyone feel that the white interior is a little too white (in shade), and that a slightly toned-down off-white would be better?

Or is the bright ‘snow white’ the whole point?

Honestly, I really thought it would be "too white" and had pretty much discounted it as an option. But when I saw it in person, with black headliner/carpets/trim/etc., it looks really sharp. No one who has seen my car and sat in it has said "Wow, that's really white". I've gotten nothing but compliments on it.

I really liked the white. Looks super classy, and airy. The material felt fantastic as well, but immediately knew it wasn't leather. Not really an issue per say, as long as it holds up... BUT that's my question, since it seemed white thin. How does that upholstery material holds up over time??? And to make matters worse, I want to get the ventilated seats, which would make it even more vulnerable to ruptures, since it has to be perforated. Or would that be a mistake? Thx.