Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Dash Cams For Your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've just installed the blackvue 650. Everything is good except that I don't get GPS signal. I thought it was the machine faulty, the supplier changed a new one and it's the same. Strange thing is that when I open the trunk, I get signal but not when it's close.

Wonder if u guys experiencing the same? I installed it right behind the rear view mirror

Hi all,

I've just installed the blackvue 650. Everything is good except that I don't get GPS signal. I thought it was the machine faulty, the supplier changed a new one and it's the same. Strange thing is that when I open the trunk, I get signal but not when it's close.

Wonder if u guys experiencing the same? I installed it right behind the rear view mirror

Well known issue with Blackvue dash cams and the Tesla Model S windshield. Heavily shielded, so GPS satellite lock hard to get. Not sure why opening the trunk should fix the problem. What you lose is the recording of your position (mapping data) as well as a record of your speed (...maybe not so bad that the latter is not recorded). FWIW, I have had a 550 dual cam for over a year--very happy (but no major accidents or issues to record).

Yesterday, just before I got to 1000 km, I was almost hit by a van. He was parked at the side of a dual lane road, took off without warning, continued into the second lane (where I was driving), and when I honked, he turned so abruptly I must have scared the tihs out of him! I had enough time to brake, but if I hadn't, he would have hit me in the side.

I know I can get this camera, but I need someone to install it for me also - possibly a camera both front and rear. Maybe even combine it with some kind of stealth equipment? Although, despite ridiculous speed limits *) I haven't been shot not even once, with more than 1000 km (and this is my first car in Hong Kong), thank you CRUISE CONTROL.

* 50 km/h on 4 lane highway with no construction going on but 70 km/h on single lane road WITH construction? And so on. Sudden speed limit change from 100 to 50, with no change in conditions. All new to me, getting used to tiny speed limit signs often well hidden, distracts me somewhat from focusing on the road and traffic itself.

I had a similar issue with the windshield blocking my EZ-Pass tag (toll RF transmitter). I called Tesla. The recommend placing the tag by the dotted area to the right hand side of the rear view mirror, or in on of the windshield corners. Problem solved.
I suggest you tray and place the GPS receiver at one of the corners and see what happens.

Also, I have been researching for days now which Dash cam to buy. I want front and rear set up. My requirements are; good day./night HD optics, lots of storage, and good parking mode. I live in an urban area and I need good long parking mode. I saw lots of post here where the choice of dash cam is the Blackvue. I truly think after long research the cam doesn't worth the price tag. There are much cheaper options that gives you the same spec. Currently I am considering buying the Panorama X2. Dual HD, with dual SD slots able to accommodate 128GB each. Lots more to tell about this camera than time permit. Best of luck!

Here is a new dash cam that is now in it's third generation. I've used the previous models with good success and I love the small size.
Just ordered one. Here is a great review. Impressive is the resolution!

Mini 0806 Dashcam Review - the tiny car cam that can. - YouTube

PS: just a few days ago I recorded an accident happening right in front of me (I wasn't involved). I sent the video to the person that got hit. Without it, she would have been screwed because the other guy took off.

Here is a new dash cam that is now in it's third generation. I've used the previous models with good success and I love the small size.
Just ordered one. Here is a great review. Impressive is the resolution!

Mini 0806 Dashcam Review - the tiny car cam that can. - YouTube

PS: just a few days ago I recorded an accident happening right in front of me (I wasn't involved). I sent the video to the person that got hit. Without it, she would have been screwed because the other guy took off.
Thanks for sharing, David. Where did you buy it and how much?