Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best charge level when charging the day before a long trip and not able to schedule charge overnight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that longer = worse for the battery. But I view "longer" as measured in days, not hours or minutes. If it were me, I'd charge to 100% (or as close to it as possible) overnight then leave on my trip. Seeing as you had a ~25% SoC when you got to the Supercharger on your return trip, I'd say that a 90-95% charge would be enough. That's assuming that you do not use cabin /seat heating and battery preconditioning more than you did on the first trip and that temperatures and weather conditions remained about the same.

Reactions: GtiMart
My understanding is that longer = worse for the battery. But I view "longer" as measured in days, not hours or minutes. If it were me, I'd charge to 100% (or as close to it as possible) overnight then leave on my trip. Seeing as you had a ~25% SoC when you got to the Supercharger on your return trip, I'd say that a 90-95% charge would be enough. That's assuming that you do not use cabin /seat heating and battery preconditioning more than you did on the first trip and that temperatures and weather conditions remained about the same.
Yeah that makes sense. This trip was about as cold as it gets here so I can only expect future trips to be more efficient (unless I have an extreme head wind or my battery degrades)...