Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Heater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in the last few weeks, I have noticed if the temperature is below 12c, 4 or 5 yellow bars of regen are on. If I drive short trips of 10km or less, the yellow bars will stay on all day (limited regen) Even being plugged in to the HPWC doesn't help unless I do a scheduled charge for an hour or so just before I drive to work . Then the charging is heating the pack. I don't think my pack heater is working. I'll turn on the climate control a half hour before I drive but the limited regen bars are still on. I am afraid to think what could happen when the temps drop to -20c

Mike

Hey Mike... is that an applehead in your avatar? Looks very similar to ours... very cute!

in the last few weeks, I have noticed if the temperature is below 12c, 4 or 5 yellow bars of regen are on. If I drive short trips of 10km or less, the yellow bars will stay on all day (limited regen) Even being plugged in to the HPWC doesn't help unless I do a scheduled charge for an hour or so just before I drive to work . Then the charging is heating the pack. I don't think my pack heater is working. I'll turn on the climate control a half hour before I drive but the limited regen bars are still on. I am afraid to think what could happen when the temps drop to -20c

Mike

If you use range mode on, batteryheater will only kick in when its really cold and only heat battery to like -5C. If range mode is off battery heater will warm battery to around 30 kW-regen. Driving will slowly bring up temp too. I have a 12 kW-charger at home and when temp is really low, like -20C, it still manages to warm battery to get like 20kW-regen With range mode on.

Reactions: Seawind300

Mike

Check out Doug's blog post about cold weather driving a model S in Canada.

Cold Weather Driving

Little things have changed over time since then, but the gist of most of it is still true.

Drive around with your energy graph up and I find selecting the 25km view is the best for viewing battery heater bumps.

When you do have regen going in the cold, driving hard (accel / regen) will heat up the battery more, so look for hills!

Reactions: Seawind300
Update, getting home after Fire practice with a temp of -1c, I plugged in the car with a delayed charging time to start at 7:00am, the wall charger and port both show energy going into the car, the dash shows the delayed charging and 2/48a . So the 2a is for the heater . All is well !!

Mike