Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Bangs" and "Clunks" when charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Rwd, LR M3 makes loud popping noises when supercharging. I can actually feel it when I hear the noise.

Could cells be exploding? No other symptoms except I have not been able to charge to 310 rated range, I get 308-309.

1600 miles on odo. I will be calling service center on Mon.

I looked for a thread on this topic.....

Thanks.

My Rwd, LR M3 makes loud popping noises when supercharging. I can actually feel it when I hear the noise.

Could cells be exploding? No other symptoms except I have not been able to charge to 310 rated range, I get 308-309.

1600 miles on odo. I will be calling service center on Mon.

I looked for a thread on this topic.....

Thanks.

I have heard of this before. A friend has had it happen while supercharging. I think others have reported it to here on the forums.

Most likely it is some metal in the battery pack thermally expanding and lurching as it slides on some other metal.

Let us know what the service center says!

Reactions: mcl627
There’s another thread about it happening while driving in mountainous areas and in cold weather. The hunch is what eprosenx said above. Supposedly Tesla is working on a fix but we don’t know what that will be or when.

Mine made the noise the first and only time I supercharged about a month ago.

Reactions: mcl627
Yes, known issue with the Model 3 that Tesla is working on. Have you ever seen where there is like a metal surface that has a slight curve to it, but there is some stress pressing it the other way so it's kind of stuck? And then with some temperature change, it causes the metal to expand or contract, and it suddenly makes this metallic "pop" sound as the tensions finally push it to release to be curved the other way?

That is what's going on in the Model 3 battery somewhere. There is a metal piece somewhere in or near the battery pack that gets warmed up with Supercharging and expanding its length some and making that pop sound as it releases past a tension point.

• Informative
Reactions: eprosenx
Yes, known issue with the Model 3 that Tesla is working on. Have you ever seen where there is like a metal surface that has a slight curve to it, but there is some stress pressing it the other way so it's kind of stuck? And then with some temperature change, it causes the metal to expand or contract, and it suddenly makes this metallic "pop" sound as the tensions finally push it to release to be curved the other way?

That is what's going on in the Model 3 battery somewhere. There is a metal piece somewhere in or near the battery pack that gets warmed up with Supercharging and expanding its length some and making that pop sound as it releases past a tension point.

The best example I can think of is a baking sheet that is slightly bent. Went it gets hot enough it pops because it expands and changes shape again. Hopefully the battery itself isn’t actually getting bent in there.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
The best example I can think of is a baking sheet that is slightly bent. Went it gets hot enough it pops because it expands and changes shape again. Hopefully the battery itself isn’t actually getting bent in there.
Yes!! Thank you. I kept trying to think of some real world object that would be a good example, and I couldn't think of one.

Hey everyone,

Excited to say I finally take delivery of my M3 on Wednesday at the CHI location. It's going to be a long 5 days...

I've seen an increasing number of videos of weird noises coming M3's while they're charging. To me, it sounds like the battery pack expending as it charges, but I wouldn't think that's a good thing. Has anyone else heard these noises? Anyone have any factual input as to what it is? I'll link a couple of the videos below....

It sounds like a bent piece of sheet metal being bent the other way. My opinion is that there’s a piece of sheet metal somewhere which is flexing due to heat from supercharging... not the battery itself.

There’s a lot of sheet metal around the battery. In fact, there’s one directly under the floor board which you can hear if giving the rear seat floor a stomp. Sounds very much like the supercharger thump, but it’s not.