Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backorder with no ETA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anything we can do or just sit there - pay monthly lease - and not be able to drive our car? I have part on back order with no ETA and the part is installed daily on numerous new vehicles - with no regard for current owners. How is this legal? I love my car but would think twice before buying another Tesla as this is very upsetting.

Reactions: t3sl4drvr
It's exactly the way that every other car manufacturer does it.
With any model car, there are times when specific parts are not available and lead times can be many months.

I'd check the lease and see if you have any options. I doubt it, but a loop hole may exist.

Steering geer assembly and it is necessary to drive the car. It was collision. So I am screwed until the part is available and meanwhile I have no car and am paying a lease. This is unacceptable.
It sucks! Since this was a collision though, the insurance of the at fault party is responsible for making you whole.

I would contact the insurance commission in your state to see what options you have. Here in Maryland it's the Maryland Insurance Administration. They regulate insurance companies in the state. You might also consult an attorney as well.

There has to be some type of time limit on how long they can attempt to repair it! If the car can't be repaired they need to pay out a total loss claim to make you whole. They can't just leave you in limbo for 6 months or longer. I agree unacceptable.

This can happen with ANY manufacturer these days. Literally any. This desire to blame Tesla is misplaced. You need a car, ask the insurance company. If you are at fault, ask your insurance company. If someone else is at fault ask their insurance company. If this was a manufacturing defect, a recall, a warranty repair, then I can see being irritated at Tesla. But this is just a general problem in the auto industry these days, parts shortage.

This can happen with ANY manufacturer these days. Literally any. This desire to blame Tesla is misplaced. You need a car, ask the insurance company. If you are at fault, ask your insurance company. If someone else is at fault ask their insurance company. If this was a manufacturing defect, a recall, a warranty repair, then I can see being irritated at Tesla. But this is just a general problem in the auto industry these days, parts shortage.
My auto body shop says they have never had this delay before with any other brand. So it could happen with any other manufacturer but it doesn’t.

They are either brand new and have no experience or are lying to you.

I've had this experience before with Subaru. Other who have posted on this, and the other similar threads have said the same with most other manufacturers.
It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.

Depending on what needs replacing and what supplies look like, it happens.

Reactions: Yelobird