Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark: Will future versions reverse into normal parking spot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parallel parking is nice but most of the time we are reversing into a normal parking spot, why can't the tesla work for that too? If the lines aren't visible they could at least enable it when there are 2 cars surrounded an empty spot, then you'd just drive past the spot just like you do now for parallel parking, go into reverse and let it park.

I found some concepts:

Last edited by a moderator:
Parallel parking is nice but most of the time we are reversing into a normal parking spot, why can't the tesla work for that too? If the lines aren't visible they could at least enable it when there are 2 cars surrounded an empty spot, then you'd just drive past the spot just like you do now for parallel parking, go into reverse and let it park. I think another car (Lexus?) had something like this.

I found a nice idea at 2mins into this video, you get out of the car and tell it to park itself, then after dinner you tell it to come pick you up :D

Interesting video, but they don't say how the Volvo knows where the parking lot is.

Also, when two cars were heading for the same parking spot, I expected both cars to stop and have a fist fight. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
After some of my experiences at superchargers I can't wait till they implement automatic stall parking.

So many people park too close to the line, or over the line, or completely crooked. The last time I parked crooked just to match the crookedness of the car next to me (the only stall left that didn't have power shared).

Maybe the reverse camera can be used for that?

I don't have any real knowledge on this, but I believe the reverse camera is literally just a camera, versus an analysis engine, like the front camera, which I believe to be intrinsically mated to its recognition processing.

Meaning: 1) I don't think the recognition system can switch to a different video feed with its current hardware, and 2) I don't think the system has the processing power necessary to analyze both streams simultaneously, even if it could take video from the back.

There's also the chance that the camera itself is tuned differently in front and optimized for different exposures/adjustments than the rear camera, which is optimized for what we see, but this all is pure speculation on my part with no real data to support it. (What else is new here? :rolleyes:)