Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automotion Weekend Wisconsin Dells 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As appears to be so typical with Model S owners (which I almost was, but chose a Roadster instead), this is not a Tesla get together but a Model S get together.

The replacement of the 14-50 with an HPWC leaves Roadster owners unable to charge. As such I will not be attending.

Rant over.

IslandBayy, you should rethink your electrical layout here if the HPWC doesn't work on a Roadster. I, for one, want to see a Roadster at the event, especially if it is the Wisconsin Roadster owner I think it is, I may owe him some thanks, and I'd like the occasion.

14-50 Will not be removed. It will still be available. Due to limitations on available power from Utility, the 14-50's box will be locked to prevent someone plugging into the 14-50 and the new 80 amp HPWC. Box unlocked upon request at the office.
The available power is going to be literally maxed out. The garage can support two people charging at 40 amps (1 on HPWC and 1 on the 14-50), or 1 person charging at 80 on the HPWC.
Looked into getting another drop from the utility, however, they said they would need to upgrade the pole transformer, and wanted to charge Sandrift to do that..... and the quoted price was not cheap.

If you can only support one HPWC and Tesla has provided two ... will you supply the other one to another local business? Perhaps that will provide a second charging site for other Model S in the vicinity.

If you can only support one HPWC and Tesla has provided two ... will you supply the other one to another local business? Perhaps that will provide a second charging site for other Model S in the vicinity.

I think you mis-understood. Their will be 2 HPWC's at the Sandrift. They will be in different locations though. One, right outside the office will be limited to 40 amp due to already high electrical load for that meter, the second, will be on the garage, where the existing 14-50 is located. That one will be able to be used at the full 80 amp charge speed (on a 100 amp breaker). The 14-50 will still be available, for those who cant use a HPWC (Roadsters, Leaf owners and other ev drivers who have modified or have compatible EVSE's will be able to use the 14-50). The difference is, since the HPWC will be getting the majority of use, the 14-50 will be locked to prevent accidental plugging in of a vehicle into the HPWC AND the 14-50 at the same time. The 14-50 will still be available as it is now, just need to notify the office so that they can unlock the box and flip off the breaker for the HPWC.

Sandrift has 4x200 amp service coming in. To be able to support charging for at least 2 vehicles at the same time, this is the only way it can be done without adding a additional meter. Would have no problem with that, but the power company doesnt want to upgrade the transformer along with some other bull excuses.

So to repeat, THE 14-50 IS NOT GOING AWAY! JUST WILL BE MOVING TO AVAILABLE BY REQUEST DUE TO ELECTRICAL LOAD MANAGEMENT.

I think you mis-understood. Their will be 2 HPWC's at the Sandrift. They will be in different locations though. One, right outside the office will be limited to 40 amp due to already high electrical load for that meter, the second, will be on the garage, where the existing 14-50 is located. That one will be able to be used at the full 80 amp charge speed (on a 100 amp breaker). The 14-50 will still be available, for those who cant use a HPWC (Roadsters, Leaf owners and other ev drivers who have modified or have compatible EVSE's will be able to use the 14-50). The difference is, since the HPWC will be getting the majority of use, the 14-50 will be locked to prevent accidental plugging in of a vehicle into the HPWC AND the 14-50 at the same time. The 14-50 will still be available as it is now, just need to notify the office so that they can unlock the box and flip off the breaker for the HPWC.

Sandrift has 4x200 amp service coming in. To be able to support charging for at least 2 vehicles at the same time, this is the only way it can be done without adding a additional meter. Would have no problem with that, but the power company doesnt want to upgrade the transformer along with some other bull excuses.

So to repeat, THE 14-50 IS NOT GOING AWAY! JUST WILL BE MOVING TO AVAILABLE BY REQUEST DUE TO ELECTRICAL LOAD MANAGEMENT.

Idk. This does not make any sense to me at all. Why would you even put the $1,200 HPWC in if it is only going to charge at 40amps? Why not just use a 50 dollar 14-50 plug and use the HPWC somewhere else where it can be used how it was meant to be used? But I guess Tesla gave them to the Sand Drift to use how they please to. Idk just my opinion.

Idk. This does not make any sense to me at all. Why would you even put the $1,200 HPWC in if it is only going to charge at 40amps? Why not just use a 50 dollar 14-50 plug and use the HPWC somewhere else where it can be used how it was meant to be used? But I guess Tesla gave them to the Sand Drift to use how they please to. Idk just my opinion.

2 Reasons, First off, Eventually, it will be upgraded to a 100amp breaker with 80 amp charging. 2 stoves will need replacing either end of this season or next season. Once those electric stoves are replaced with Natural Gas stoves, that will leave quite a bit of available power allowing me to upgrade the HPWC to 80/100 amps.
Second, Tesla Team wants at least ONE HPWC right outside the office/front sign, as Visable as possible, for both Tesla Publicity, and to allow better visabiltiy when a Tesla Owner is looking for one. Unfortunately, the next door beach house (which is part of the Sandrift), is the only location that is not completly tapped out for power at this time. The beach house has a 200 amp service entrance, with 120 amps being run directly to the garage. Since the beach house is a single building with it's own entrance, it's got plenty of power.
If Sandrift gets as much demand for Tesla Charging as it did last summer, I may need to figure out a way to get a third HPWC installed. A good portion of last summer they needed to take appointments for charging. It was crazy around forth of July. The 14-50 was booked up, and had cars plugged into every 120v outlet we could find outside. But then again, now we have the Mauston Supercharger 20 miles north of the Dells, so demand might be lower this year :(
Otherwise, option #3 for now, could be to limit the charging capacity of the HPWC. I could limit it enough so that it can still provide a charge faster then a 14-50, but then I could leave the 14-50 online all the time, allowing 3 cars, but I REALLY want to take full advantage for those with Dual Chargers. I'd rather get a Dual Charger car filled up and out of their as quick as possible instead.

2 Reasons, First off, Eventually, it will be upgraded to a 100amp breaker with 80 amp charging. 2 stoves will need replacing either end of this season or next season. Once those electric stoves are replaced with Natural Gas stoves, that will leave quite a bit of available power allowing me to upgrade the HPWC to 80/100 amps.
Second, Tesla Team wants at least ONE HPWC right outside the office/front sign, as Visable as possible, for both Tesla Publicity, and to allow better visabiltiy when a Tesla Owner is looking for one. Unfortunately, the next door beach house (which is part of the Sandrift), is the only location that is not completly tapped out for power at this time. The beach house has a 200 amp service entrance, with 120 amps being run directly to the garage. Since the beach house is a single building with it's own entrance, it's got plenty of power.
If Sandrift gets as much demand for Tesla Charging as it did last summer, I may need to figure out a way to get a third HPWC installed. A good portion of last summer they needed to take appointments for charging. It was crazy around forth of July. The 14-50 was booked up, and had cars plugged into every 120v outlet we could find outside. But then again, now we have the Mauston Supercharger 20 miles north of the Dells, so demand might be lower this year :(
Otherwise, option #3 for now, could be to limit the charging capacity of the HPWC. I could limit it enough so that it can still provide a charge faster then a 14-50, but then I could leave the 14-50 online all the time, allowing 3 cars, but I REALLY want to take full advantage for those with Dual Chargers. I'd rather get a Dual Charger car filled up and out of their as quick as possible instead.

Okay, that makes sense then if you are going to replace two electric stoves with gas stoves. I think thats why everyone was confused that you were going to still use the HPWC at just 40amps when you could just put in a nema 14-50. That way a roadster could still charge there without issue.

Thanks for clarifying this.

I should be able to make it as well, add me to the list:smile:

Sounds good! So, we are at 2 absolute yes's for models owners, and 1 Chevy volt. We need more people! I have the news media coming!!! we need to make this big! working with automotion car show as well to possibly get us a spot
if you know you can make it please contact me!!! and please pass this on to your friends!

Attachments

• DSC00168.jpg
    DSC00168.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 180
  • DSC00169.jpg
    DSC00169.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 172
  • DSC00170.jpg
    DSC00170.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
Last edited by a moderator: