Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic windscreen wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know how to configure the auto windscreen wipers?

We’ve had a new Model 3 for 2 weeks now and love most things about it. However, the auto wiper function is horrendous and never seems to wipe when I need or expect it to.

Does anyone know how to adjust the settings/sensitivity beyond what is on the touchscreen? I would have thought that there will be some config settings buried in the software where we could adjust this and get it right.

Just exploring the system and finding out what interfaces are exposed, but any suggestions welcomed!

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I have seen that function work both better and worse throughout several updates. It really works fairly well now. My only complaint is this. It used to be quite erratic. Wiping frantically when it was not needed or stopping completely when it was. Right now my experience has been much, much more consistent, but not as aggressive. It needs to wipe a little more frequently.

What I have also discovered is that it works best when the windshield is clean. I mean REALLY clean. If you have a new car for example, your windshield is likely covered in a film of diesel oil and soot from the locomotive or truck tractor of the car transporter. Plus possibly some kind of chemical agent used in the manufacture of the glass. Mine sure was. It takes a long time for that film to wear off naturally. I use Brasso occasionally. People here have made other cleaning suggestions.
I second that, especially for inappropriate wipes.

Note that you don't have to OCD-clean the entire windshield, just the area over the cameras. And don't forget to clean the top of the passenger-side wiper.

Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0
I just sent my story to them. I don't expect an answer, but at least I've had my say. This is a safety feature which could hurt or kill someone if not put right.
via email to: [email protected], cc: [email protected]

Safety issue - windscreen wiper sensitivity

I have noticed with recent software updates that the windscreen wipers for my Tesla Model 3 (2019 model, VIN ---------) have noticeably less sensitivity to detecting rain on auto setting. This means they basically do not function until visibility is greatly impaired.

This is dangerous and given they worked well before recent software updates, I suggest this is easily fixed by having a user setting which allows the driver
to increase/decrease the sensitivity of the windscreen wiper sensor. The user preference could be saved to each drivers settings. If the current setting was
a default of 5 out of 10, I would set my sensitivity at 7 or 8 so that I can actually see where I am going in light rain.

Otherwise, why have an auto setting on wipers if they default to "don't work most of the time"????

Thanks for considering this important safety improvement for future updates.

These emails seem to get through (i.e. they do not bounce), so hopefully they should get the message. I had few issues with wipers for over 3 years, but now after a recent update they literally do not work. And yes, the windscreen is spotlessly clean. Whether something happens or not, is a different story, but visibility is a safety issue, and Tesla ignore such warnings at their own peril.
Another way might be to record the gaps between presses of the manual wipe button on the lever. Set the auto wipes at this tempo.
If it’s too fast, allow a double press to reset the wipers to “off” and allow another go at aligning the auto wipe timing with the manual button presses.
Something needs to be done.

Upvote 0