Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto park FAIL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used autopark today to parallel park. It backed up okay but when it pulled forward it scratched the front right wheel. It also took a small chunk out of the tire.

I called Tesla service and they didn't seem surprised. Guess this isn't unheard of. They asked me to send pictures, and they said they would pull the logs. Does anyone know if Tesla will cover the damage in this case? I hope so, because it's extensive. The wheel is badly scratched, and it took a chunk out of the tire as well.

TCaX+

19GMu+

Used autopark today to parallel park. It backed up okay but when it pulled forward it scratched the front right wheel. It also took a small chunk out of the tire.

I called Tesla service and they didn't seem surprised. Guess this isn't unheard of. They asked me to send pictures, and they said they would pull the logs. Does anyone know if Tesla will cover the damage in this case? I hope so, because it's extensive. The wheel is badly scratched, and it took a chunk out of the tire as well.

TCaX+

19GMu+
This is where we need the "sympathize", rather than "dislike" button. Yeow!

Reactions: Footbag
Interesting... I've used the parallel auto-park feature well over 100 times and have yet to have an incident. By incident I mean the car has never hit the curb, or anything else for that matter. I have had a few times where I needed to make some final adjustments as occasionally the car isn't perpendicular enough to the curb for my OCD or it's too close, or far, from the car in front or behind me.

Anyone else have auto parallel parking hit the curb?

Jeff

Was there anything unique or special about the parking situation? Have you used it successfully in the past? Would you use it again?

I've only used it a half dozen times, but it never came close to the curb.

Autopark was hilariously bad when I test drove. We had it go into a spot surrounded by empty spots and it got into it fine, but refused to believe that it was in straight enough, and so it kept trying to correct and eventually gave up.

I don't need it at all.

That doesn't make any sense at all... For starters, it sounds like you're talking about the perpendicular parking functionality but that only works when it has cars\curbs on either side to detect so if you went into a spot surrounded by empty spots the feature simply wouldn't work. Parallel parking doesn't have the same requirement per say but I can safely say I've never had it keep trying to correct...

Something doesn't smell right...

Jeff

Reactions: RogerHScott
That doesn't make any sense at all... For starters, it sounds like you're talking about the perpendicular parking functionality but that only works when it has cars\curbs on either side to detect so if you went into a spot surrounded by empty spots the feature simply wouldn't work. Parallel parking doesn't have the same requirement per say but I can safely say I've never had it keep trying to correct...

Something doesn't smell right...

I don't remember exact details, but it was on my first test drive from the Dublin-Amador shop, and it was at the end of the drive. The person I test drove with commented that he'd never seen it happen before. Could be that we were in fact trying to do something it can't do, but it got into the spot okay; it just kept trying to correct.

I can go back and try again if you'd like.