Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone noticed the wipers appear more sensitive now on 2024.8.7? During the day, they have been near flawless with this rainy weather, adjusting perfectly to the heavy/light rain patches. Nighttime though is a different story.. the wipers would go straight to the highest setting for the majority of my travels for what I'd say was very light rain.. I had to manually turn them off/down a few times before they wore a hole in the windscreen.

Reactions: dronus
Has anyone noticed the wipers appear more sensitive now on 2024.8.7? During the day, they have been near flawless with this rainy weather, adjusting perfectly to the heavy/light rain patches. Nighttime though is a different story.. the wipers would go straight to the highest setting for the majority of my travels for what I'd say was very light rain.. I had to manually turn them off/down a few times before they wore a hole in the windscreen.
I think it’s predicted to rain in Adelaide on Tuesday haha I can’t remember if I’ve even used the wipers yet!

I think it’s predicted to rain in Adelaide on Tuesday haha I can’t remember if I’ve even used the wipers yet!
See how you go! Interested to hear other people's experiences.

They're not bad by any means, but I'm still not 100% sold on vision-based auto-wipers. Maybe they should've just stuck with the tried and tested rain sensor tech. At least software revisions can refine the tech over time.

I've also noticed if my windscreen is a bit splattered with bugs, the cameras must think this is rain and nicely smear more bug splatter into the windscreen, something akin to a Picasso masterpiece.

See how you go! Interested to hear other people's experiences.

They're not bad by any means, but I'm still not 100% sold on vision-based auto-wipers. Maybe they should've just stuck with the tried and tested rain sensor tech. At least software revisions can refine the tech over time.

I've also noticed if my windscreen is a bit splattered with bugs, the cameras must think this is rain and nicely smear more bug splatter into the windscreen, something akin to a Picasso masterpiece.
BTW it’s so good to hear you enjoying your car… man that was a hectic wait haha

Reactions: e-enthusiast30
Has anyone noticed the wipers appear more sensitive now on 2024.8.7?
I have. Pre update, my wipers would barely activate on light rain. Would have to manually trigger it every few seconds.
Now post-update, they go insanely fast with the just a hint of rain. So basically from one extreme of useless to the other.
Probably the worse part of the car IMO.

Reactions: e-enthusiast30
I was just chatting with a guy who was walking past my house, he looks at my car and says “why did you buy one of those? Didn’t you see the picture of the cars lined up at Keith?”
Now normally I don’t engage.. but I had nothing better to do so I asked him.. “ohh no, I don’t have Facebook, what happened?”
This threw him off a little as now he had to explain it, and it was going to be interesting to hear his take..
“Well, if all those Teslas were lined up at Keith, how are they any good if they can’t go further than 300km? My hilux can do 500km so I wouldn’t have to stop there” he says..
“Ohh I see” I say, “tell me more, like, what were they all doing there?”
“I don’t know mate, but with that range I don’t know why you bought one, just stick with diesel”
Here it comes…
“Hmm” I say… “this is a rear wheel drive and I can get around 500km on a charge, and the dual motor ones can go 600+”
“Bull****” he says.
“Look at the website if you don’t believe me..”
“Websites are full of s*** too” he says.. looking it up on his phone..

“”Not the Toyota website, or Facebook, they are different, very factual” I add

Time to step it up

“Have you ever been in a Tesla?” I ask
“Nope” he says
“Ok, here, jump in”
<a few minuites later>
“Holy s***, this is nice” he is impressed.

“500km ya reakon?”
“Well, give or take”
“But how much does it cost to run?”
/me pulls out his phone with the AGL app

“well for me about a dollar a day, which is far cheaper than diesel, how much is diesel these days?”

Here it comes…

“Yeah” he continues, the other day the liberty on Marion road had diesel for $2.10 a litre and I couldn’t get any because unleaded was $1.75 and there was a line up down the road”

“Interesting that no one took a photo of that and put it on Facebook highlighting the Toyotas lining up”

He just smiled.

It’s weird, I think we were talking about this the other day. That photo must have got some traction?

View attachment 1036033

Thanks for all the tips about ev power plans etc.
The AGL 8c EV plan kicked in and I’m getting the data come thru the app.
They are 30min increments and on average I use 7-14kw during boring work/gym commute so about a dollar a day.
My old car would use a dollar of fuel before it got to the end of the street.
Not even sure if it’s worth getting solar, have to work out the ROI again.
Solar is definitely worth it, but hangout and do it when the government comes up with a worthwhile subsidy. I went from $800 quarter average, to $50 a quarter.

Reactions: dronus
I was just chatting with a guy who was walking past my house, he looks at my car and says “why did you buy one of those? Didn’t you see the picture of the cars lined up at Keith?”
Now normally I don’t engage.. but I had nothing better to do so I asked him.. “ohh no, I don’t have Facebook, what happened?”
This threw him off a little as now he had to explain it, and it was going to be interesting to hear his take..
“Well, if all those Teslas were lined up at Keith, how are they any good if they can’t go further than 300km? My hilux can do 500km so I wouldn’t have to stop there” he says..
“Ohh I see” I say, “tell me more, like, what were they all doing there?”
“I don’t know mate, but with that range I don’t know why you bought one, just stick with diesel”
Here it comes…
“Hmm” I say… “this is a rear wheel drive and I can get around 500km on a charge, and the dual motor ones can go 600+”
“Bull****” he says.
“Look at the website if you don’t believe me..”
“Websites are full of s*** too” he says.. looking it up on his phone..

“”Not the Toyota website, or Facebook, they are different, very factual” I add

Time to step it up

“Have you ever been in a Tesla?” I ask
“Nope” he says
“Ok, here, jump in”
<a few minuites later>
“Holy s***, this is nice” he is impressed.

“500km ya reakon?”
“Well, give or take”
“But how much does it cost to run?”
/me pulls out his phone with the AGL app

“well for me about a dollar a day, which is far cheaper than diesel, how much is diesel these days?”

Here it comes…

“Yeah” he continues, the other day the liberty on Marion road had diesel for $2.10 a litre and I couldn’t get any because unleaded was $1.75 and there was a line up down the road”

“Interesting that no one took a photo of that and put it on Facebook highlighting the Toyotas lining up”

He just smiled.

It’s weird, I think we were talking about this the other day. That photo must have got some traction?
It sure did, my playing group at golf today starting bagging ev's and why would you use them for a long trip. I just bit my tongue as I haven't told them yet. I rock up to golf in my diesel suv(I love my four wheel driving) which they seem to bag as well. You can't win. But soon I will have best of both worlds. Adventure me and environment concious me.

Reactions: divstar and dronus
Hey guys couple of accessories questions;

1. will installing a Front Lower Bumper Air Inlet Grille Insect Guard impact the vehicle's efficiency? Considering it adds an additional barrier to airflow akin to whatever underneath the car, could this potentially lead to overheating due to reduced airflow?

2. as someone who predominantly drives on highways daily, is it still advisable to install mud flaps on a Tesla? Additionally, could the presence of mud flaps affect the car's mileage efficiency?

3. concerning the small, subtle spoilers often found on third party Tesla accessory sites, do they genuinely contribute to improved aerodynamics and reduced drag coefficient, or are they primarily ornamental in nature rather than serving practical aerodynamic purposes?

1. will installing a Front Lower Bumper Air Inlet Grille Insect Guard impact the vehicle's efficiency? Considering it adds an additional barrier to airflow akin to whatever underneath the car, could this potentially lead to overheating due to reduced airflow?

2. as someone who predominantly drives on highways daily, is it still advisable to install mud flaps on a Tesla? Additionally, could the presence of mud flaps affect the car's mileage efficiency?

3. concerning the small, subtle spoilers often found on third party Tesla accessory sites, do they genuinely contribute to improved aerodynamics and reduced drag coefficient, or are they primarily ornamental in nature rather than serving practical aerodynamic purposes?
1. I’ve had mine on there for a while now and haven’t noticed anything. When I fit it I had to fish out a hand full of leaves, cigarette butts and rocks which were on the radiator. Personally, I’d prefer them out than in. I’m no vehicle engineer though.

2. Not sure if they would affect mileage, but I’ve noticed the side of my car is staying cleaner, but that could be environmental coincidence. Only thing to note is they might scrape if you get the long ones or drive too fast onto driveways etc.

3. No idea. I like the look of the m3h without a spoiler so haven’t looked into it. It’s personal preference.

I bought aftermarket mudflaps from AliExpress not long after I got my car, and they have stopped a lot of crap hitting the duco near the wheels. Lifetime efficiency of my Model 3 is 152 Wh/km so I would say any effect they have on efficiency is somewhere between miniscule and unmeasurable. I wouldn’t have a car without mudflaps.

I’ve never considered an insect guard for my air inlet. I’ve done a fair few bug-splattered km’s and can’t say that the lack of a grille has caused any issues 🤷‍♂️. Any grille fine enough to prevent small insects getting through is probably going to materially affect airflow. I wouldn’t do it.

I bought aftermarket mudflaps from AliExpress not long after I got my car, and they have stopped a lot of crap hitting the duco near the wheels. Lifetime efficiency of my Model 3 is 152 Wh/km so I would say any effect they have on efficiency is somewhere between miniscule and unmeasurable. I wouldn’t have a car without mudflaps.

I’ve never considered an insect guard for my air inlet. I’ve done a fair few bug-splattered km’s and can’t say that the lack of a grille has caused any issues 🤷‍♂️. Any grille fine enough to prevent small insects getting through is probably going to materially affect airflow. I wouldn’t do it.
Out of curiosity as your car is a bit older how does the radiator look behind there?

Maybe people in Adelaide are just grotts throwing all their rubbish out their windows 😵‍💫