Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nah. It’ll update in the app too. Same as changing colours etc. it’s a seamless update.
Ok i was more worried about the key side of things as it has 2 bluetooth connections to the car. One is for media etc and the other is the key.

IMG_9598.jpeg

Yeah honestly it’s this kind of logic that makes me feel a lot better about letting it go. Thanks mate.

Letting go is the best option. Same with kerb rashes. They are inevitable, so after the first one, you simply don’t care anymore.

The front of my car is completely bug-splattered after my Sydney-Melbourne trip 3 weeks ago, but I can hardly be bothered to wash it (although I will… eventually).

So if at some point in time in the future you expect to become carefree about your car looking imperfect, then why not become carefree now? Saves time and worry.

Letting go is the best option. Same with kerb rashes. They are inevitable, so after the first one, you simply don’t care anymore.

The front of my car is completely bug-splattered after my Sydney-Melbourne trip 3 weeks ago, but I can hardly be bothered to wash it (although I will… eventually).

So if at some point in time in the future you expect to become carefree about your car looking imperfect, then why not become carefree now? Saves time and worry.
Kind of like when you got a fresh pair of shoes as a youngster, took great care to not step in dirt etc then some ass comes along and steps on them saying “christened your shoes”. But you are doing it to yourself haha

Took my first long-ish trip in an EV yesterday (the M3 is my first EV) - picking up my father in law from a Sydney hospital, delivering him to his home in Bowral (NSW southern highlands) and returning home (Sydney).

All in, we drove 286km and consumed 48% of battery energy. Pretty warm day with air con on all the time, and no special energy-saving driving techniques. I'm happy with that.

General comments:
  • TACC works just fine. No unexpected braking events on suburban roads or motorways. Does what I expect it to do.
  • Autosteer blew me away. Was not expecting it to work as well as it did. Perfect lane-keeping on the motorway. No unexpected behaviours. Very nice indeed.
  • Car is a very quiet and comfortable cruiser. I thought my (previous car) H6 Subaru Liberty was good. This is much better. Sound system is great.
  • Really, the only issue came when I went to squeeze into a gap between vehicles after being blocked behind a slow truck. I pressed the accelerator the way you would in an ICE car with auto transmission and you want to get it to 'kick down' for swift acceleration. Nearly broke all our necks with the instant surge forward. Lesson learned!
Reckon I'm going to enjoy owning this car.

Took my first long-ish trip in an EV yesterday (the M3 is my first EV) - picking up my father in law from a Sydney hospital, delivering him to his home in Bowral (NSW southern highlands) and returning home (Sydney).

All in, we drove 286km and consumed 48% of battery energy. Pretty warm day with air con on all the time, and no special energy-saving driving techniques. I'm happy with that.

General comments:
  • TACC works just fine. No unexpected braking events on suburban roads or motorways. Does what I expect it to do.
  • Autosteer blew me away. Was not expecting it to work as well as it did. Perfect lane-keeping on the motorway. No unexpected behaviours. Very nice indeed.
  • Car is a very quiet and comfortable cruiser. I thought my (previous car) H6 Subaru Liberty was good. This is much better. Sound system is great.
  • Really, the only issue came when I went to squeeze into a gap between vehicles after being blocked behind a slow truck. I pressed the accelerator the way you would in an ICE car with auto transmission and you want to get it to 'kick down' for swift acceleration. Nearly broke all our necks with the instant surge forward. Lesson learned!
Awesome!!
Its pretty next level huh! I did a few thousand km the other week to Vic and back, it was a pleasure to drive. You know on a long trip where you have been driving for hours and you start to regret driving? There was none of that!

Reactions: Jules22

General comments:
Congrats on your new car. I oicked up my Stealth Grey LR from Chatswood on Monday and it has been great. Have done 700Km in 6 days. Only thing I noticed is the steering is slightky crooked to the left on the M7 when going straight. I have booked the car in for SC to look at wheel alignment . Anyone else having yhe same issue ?

General comments:
It's crazy - especially when you press down to overtake and move lanes in one manouvre, its so quick you have to be careful to complete the lane change before you're in the back of the vehicle in front. Just Tesla Problems™️

Following on from my earlier comments around strange battery/range issues in Tessie, I’m wondering if anyone else here is using Tessie in their long range?
If so, what km range is shown when you slide the slider to 100%?

I still can’t make sense of the readings or figure out why they are so dramatically different from my 2022 LR.

It's crazy - especially when you press down to overtake and move lanes in one manouvre, its so quick you have to be careful to complete the lane change before you're in the back of the vehicle in front. Just Tesla Problems™️
haha i thought i was the only person worried about that! In most other cars ive had you have had to kinda line it up and get the timing right with the goal of getting safely around the car in front, in the m3h the concern shifts to timing the overtake so you get into the other lane in time hahah.

View attachment 1026249

10am is battery top up time as the rates go from the most expensive to the least expensive instantaneously even though the sun has been up for 3 hours.
Still getting rorted, but hopefully have some solar setup soon so they get bugger all.
MarshalEnergy got some good solar deals going on now. But not sure if they do outside Victoria. Whatever kwh you are getting now try to add a hybrid inverter to the mix so that you can easily add a 10-20kwh battery later when they gets cheap as chips. Battery prices are going down very fast as expected.

Reactions: dronus
Had an interesting experience today using Exploren public chargers for the first time.

Tried the first one 'Remove charging cable and try again'
Second one 'Error - fault found. Remove charging cable.'
Third one 'Remove charging cable and try again'

I thought this was odd and as I pulled into the 4th and last charger, a MY owner pulled into the second one I tried to use. I told him I got a fault and couldn't use it but he had it working straight away and told me he just plugged in, scanned the QR code in the app and away it went.

So I plugged back in and did the same. The error came back up, but I went to the app, scanned the QR code and the error went away and almost right away Bluey was charging at 11kW for free. I guess lesson learnt, don't believe what the screen says haha.

Happy charging!
Yeah, noticed such silly errors with Ocular chargers hooked to exploren at workplace.

Upon getting my car back from paint correction/protection yesterday I was advised that two black dots (bonnet and rear bumper) are unable to be removed as they’re embedded in the paint. The same shop are doing lots of Tesla’s and they’ve already seen a few with the exact same problem. Notably a white M3 had 4 of these dots on it.

I’ve found one thread on Reddit with the exact same problem, as well as a bloke on Facebook who ended up having his bonnet resprayed through Tesla as they admitted it was a problem with the paint. His was also stealth grey.

Any thoughts? I’m not really keen on the idea of respraying the bonnet and rear bumper, especially after forking out for paint correction/protection (paint mismatch, panel gaps etc). This is on top of my windscreen having a scratch right in my FOV, which I only noticed after the first wash. Windscreen/glass polishing places advised to just leave it be. I haven’t even used the wipers so it happened before delivery 🙃.

I know cars will get chips and scratches over time but it’s just a tad frustrating when it’s a brand new car.
I feel your pain! I have a different paint defect on my stealth grey which is very obvious from several paces away on the passenger side roof rail. For me it’s so obvious that I can’t ignore it, so have a service appointment on Friday.

This is on top of:
- Delivery time needing to be rescheduled due to damage requiring rectification - apparently dents to front and rear of driver’s side roof rail
- A paint chip on the driver’s door handle which we picked up at the delivery centre - they said they will replace
- Car was delivered with 27% charge - would have expected at least 50%?
- Yesterday the vanity mirror on the passenger side sun visor completely detached.

I really want to love my new Tesla, but right now it is making it very difficult!

IMG_8829.jpeg
IMG_8775.jpeg

Reactions: divstar and Tesl3on
I feel your pain! I have a different paint defect on my stealth grey which is very obvious from several paces away on the passenger side roof rail. For me it’s so obvious that I can’t ignore it, so have a service appointment on Friday.

This is on top of:
- Delivery time needing to be rescheduled due to damage requiring rectification - apparently dents to front and rear of driver’s side roof rail
- A paint chip on the driver’s door handle which we picked up at the delivery centre - they said they will replace
- Car was delivered with 27% charge - would have expected at least 50%?
- Yesterday the vanity mirror on the passenger side sun visor completely detached.

I really want to love my new Tesla, but right now it is making it very difficult!

View attachment 1026317View attachment 1026318
While they get those minor things sorted, focus on the 99.9% of other things that are really good. Hopefully you get them sorted asap

Reactions: PcS000 and Tesl3on
well I think I may have been caught by highway patrol, hoping not! so this what happened..

Driving down a 70kmph road, around midnight, road almost empty, guy in front, middle lane doing like 55-60, felt very slow, same as the right lane, finally a gap opens as right lane guy speeds up, and so I move into the right lane with a quick acceleration (still getting use to the instant pedal feel and cloud like smooth butter driving) then back to the middle lane, so didnt realise by time I overtook was already at like 77kmph, went from 55 to 77 so quickly!,

Then I see the highway patrol cop car hiding bushes ahead, I regen brake back to 60-65kmph, he flashes headlights as I approach

And that was it

So am I safe to say since he didn't chase/pull me over should be ok, ie was just a warning? Or should I expect a fine in mail in a few weeks?

Reactions: PcS000 and dronus
well I think I may have been caught by highway patrol, hoping not! so this what happened..

Driving down a 70kmph road, around midnight, road almost empty, guy in front, middle lane doing like 55-60, felt very slow, same as the right lane, finally a gap opens as right lane guy speeds up, and so I move into the right lane with a quick acceleration (still getting use to the instant pedal feel and cloud like smooth butter driving) then back to the middle lane, so didnt realise by time I overtook was already at like 77kmph, went from 55 to 77 so quickly!,

Then I see the highway patrol cop car hiding bushes ahead, I regen brake back to 60-65kmph, he flashes headlights as I approach

And that was it

So am I safe to say since he didn't chase/pull me over should be ok, ie was just a warning? Or should I expect a fine in mail in a few weeks?
If he was using a lidar gun, then to issue you with a fine he must pull you over, confirm your ID etc.