Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how I feel about the adaptive headlights, driving back from Bendigo last night I seem to have upset quite a few truck drivers heading the other way, and also when approaching from behind.
It also seems to activate the high beams in areas where its just not needed - the Eastern freeway for example, and well enough lit local roads
I eneded up driving most of the way back on TACC with adaptive lights turned off, as there is no way to turn off auto high beam when using AP

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus
Yeah I've had them in another car previously. Some people just see that they are brighter but don't actually click that they aren't being dazzled by them at all.

So far everyone I've passed with them on in the highland so far has been fine but I'm sure I'll come across some of those who don't think before getting upset soon enough.

Reactions: Moops and dronus
Yeah I've had them in another car previously. Some people just see that they are brighter but don't actually click that they aren't being dazzled by them at all.

So far everyone I've passed with them on in the highland so far has been fine but I'm sure I'll come across some of those who don't think before getting upset soon enough.
Just tested them driving in the rain. Seemed to work well, excluding areas that either had a car or reflective sign.
Strange watching them dance over the road.
Im getting side camera blocked errors again even tho they are clear. Only seems go happen at night. Ive reported it via the bug thing

Just tested them driving in the rain. Seemed to work well, excluding areas that either had a car or reflective sign.
Strange watching them dance over the road.
Im getting side camera blocked errors again even tho they are clear. Only seems go happen at night. Ive reported it via the bug thing
Yeah, I've only done the one drive where it was dark enough to really test them out and they were really good. My previous car would block whole sections like 1/3 of the whole road, but this just blocks exactly where it needs to.

Cameras and GPS unavailable is a symptom of the car unable to communicate with the autopilot computer. I guess that's what's on the fuse that needs resetting!
Makes sense! From what I've read and watched online it's very straightforward to hard reset and fix the issue, but since there's no 2024 guides I don't want to be the first to try it on a Highland and absolutely cook my brand new car 😂

And a separate post without complaining about my software issues:

Wow what a f#$&ing car!!!! The ride comfort is unbelievable - everything from the suspension to the steering to the acceleration is so refined. I just came back from a trip to Adelaide where we rented a Polestar 2 and my biggest complaint about that car was how stiff/harsh the regenerative breaking was (it felt hard to feather the accelerator to maintain speed), but by comparison the Model 3 feels much smoother.

It's been stinking hot in Perth the last couple days but you would never know in this car. The ventilated seats are a dream too.

My son loved looking up through the sunroof. He's still rear facing in the car seat atm but I'm sure he'll love watching the back screen when I turn the seat forward.

The dimensions of the car are almost identical to my old ICE but it somehow feels wider? Dunno

My one complaint is I wish I could sit just a little lower in the car, giving it a bit more of a sport feel. But I suppose that's not the direction Telsa are going for in the SR Model 3 so I can't really fault them for that.

Overall could not be happier!

Can confirm: its waterproof

IMG_9230.jpeg

I found it interesting that there has been so many complaints from people regarding the constant nagging when using autopilot. I have found it to be the complete opposite. I rarely get any complaints from the car, just the odd one to keep pressure on the wheel but nothing like what I have seen people complaining about.

Curious about other people’s experiences.

I found it interesting that there has been so many complaints from people regarding the constant nagging when using autopilot. I have found it to be the complete opposite. I rarely get any complaints from the car, just the odd one to keep pressure on the wheel but nothing like what I have seen people complaining about.

Same, the odd “apply force to steering wheel” or if you are not looking forwards it gets cranky and advises you its probably a good idea.
I take it that is that camera above the mirror doing its thing.

Can also dispel a common MSM and unwashed theory - you dont get electrocuted driving an EV in the rain.

Very much the same, as long as you are actively paying attention it seems to leave you alone.

I did find that going through roadworks and very narrow temporary lanes etc it gets much more nervous and nags more often but I see that as a good thing.

The dimensions of the car are almost identical to my old ICE but it somehow feels wider? Dunno

The lack of a transmission tunnel I think makes the rear seats in particular feel much roomier.

I was staggered at how many “new” EVs on show at Everything Electric in Sydney still had transmission tunnels in the rear. Some even had a very small hump instead of a completely flat floor. WTH?

Has anyone performed a software update not plugged in and not on WiFi? My app keeps nagging me about a software update (from 2023.44.100.1 to 2024.2.3) that's due but it's currently sitting at the detailers. I probably best wait until it's back home in the garage to update in case they need to move it.