Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ohh no 16c/kwh !!! That must have been devastating!

Anyone interstate that missed my last post... Here is the best rates i can seem to get in Good Old South Australia where privatization is doing its best at keeping our prices high as well as their profits...

Peak - 0600hrs - 1000hrs 48c/kwh
Shoulder - 1000hrs - 1500hrs 28c/kwh
Peak - 1500hrs - 0100hrs 48c/kwh
Off Peak - 0100hrs - 0600hrs 32c/kwh

That "shoulder" is when we generate most of our power via Solar. But still 28c/kwh!!!!

There are other plans which promise lower, according to the federal government price comparison guide one provider would overall reduce my power bill by $72 a year, they have zero cost power for an hour a day, when im at work and everything is off anyway so their comparison rates are higher which would cost me more.....
Have you modelled Energy Locals? They hide some of the daily cost with a “membership fee” but the rates for TOU Plans is 27c and 42c. If you have solar and battery there Single Rate plan can be very effective.

Reactions: dronus
Still loving the voice recognition, massive improvement over the Toyota, Mazda and BMW systems I have used in the past. Just went out to dinner and told it to take me to "The Lakes Gungahlin", it completely butchered the spelling I think it came up with Gungolem or something but it found the right club perfectly, I really thought that one would trip it up. All of the other vehicles I'd make seven or eight attempts at a much more basic name and just give up.

Still loving the voice recognition, massive improvement over the Toyota, Mazda and BMW systems I have used in the past. Just went out to dinner and told it to take me to "The Lakes Gungahlin", it completely butchered the spelling I think it came up with Gungolem or something but it found the right club perfectly, I really thought that one would trip it up. All of the other vehicles I'd make seven or eight attempts at a much more basic name and just give up.
I have found it a bit hit and miss, especially when dictating text messages. Firstly if there are more than one number for someone it prompts you , even if they are a mobile number and a home number (ive never sent an sms to a home number) but this can be worked around by specifying "mobile". Sometimes it gets the message pretty close other times its a bit random. It could be me not speaking clearly though

Canberra has some pretty weird names for places and in comparison Adelaide maybe not so much, but it does struggle to find basic things sometimes.

Did you mention to change it to English or american?

Haven't really tried dictating messages will give it a go.

Yeah the trick supposedly is to change the input language to 'British English' though it had been working well for me in the 2020 M3 before I changed it so I'm only going by others who have said it made a big difference for them.

All tucked in. Didnt get to drive it today, was too busy getting the ICE car ready to sell.

IMG_8969.jpeg

Great to hear, my mate's old M3 was shocking. It took no less than 5 goes and a poor attempt at an American accent for it to understand 'route me to Jindabyne'.

To be fair though, Siri has her moments also. Sometimes when I tell her 'Coles Dickson', she routes me to Dixon, Texas :rolleyes:

Great to hear, my mate's old M3 was shocking. It took no less than 5 goes and a poor attempt at an American accent for it to understand 'route me to Jindabyne'.

To be fair though, Siri has her moments also. Sometimes when I tell her 'Coles Dickson', she routes me to Dixon, Texas :rolleyes:
Sounds like my model S. ‘Call Peter” still results in ‘cold pizza’ even though the screen shows peter. ‘Cole peeeeterrrr’ fixes it though.

I'll be doing the same. Wouldn't say no to dropping $10k for FSD once it's out of Beta though, and hoping it stays that price.
Yeah, I saw it as a bit of a gamble, if we get to even the same level of Beta that the US has, I expect the price will be closer to $20-30k AUD with a subscription option. I suspect when it comes out of Beta there won't be a purchase option, it'll just be subscription only, potentially a six figure purchase for those who want to run the vehicle as a robotaxi.

I have been closely following how well progress is going in the US even before V12 (V12 was a pleasant surprise I would have expected a significant regression in the early builds on a new architecture) and I feel they are 2-3 years away from full autonomy. I expect to see limited areas start opening up to higher level autonomy in the next 12 months. Despit that though I based my decision on if I felt the 'value' of FSD increases in the next 5 years as I plan to keep this vehicle much longer than I have previous vehicles.

I then weighed up just investing that 10k in Telsa shares, but at the end of the day it wasn't just the finanical decision for me, I enjoy playing with new technologies, I am interested in being part of the journey and helping it evolve, so I ended up doing both.

For those who just want to use FSD, I'd say wait off, most would only use it on long road trips, so just subscribe to it for the month you are doing one. I can see though the advantage of being able to automate the boring drives to work and back, being able to read emails, watch netflix, or whatever during those trips would be pretty cool, so there may be enough value in that to warrant a subscription.

Whatever use case you are interested in though, I would caution that it is, and always has been, a gamble. Anyone who jumps in expecting it to work day one or even seeing it as a guarantee it will work in any timeframe that Elon or anyone else sets as a guess really hasn't done their homework. I treat it like any other high risk investment, that money is gone, if it comes back great, if it comes back 10x even better, in the meantime I'll get to enjoy what it is now and what it will be when full beta is finally available here.

Not financial advice, yada, yada, yada, this is all just the guesswork and information I used to make my decision.

Hey all, I'm still getting range anxiety haha I'm afraid to let it drop below 50-60% cos if it's at 50% and I got like a 120km drive round trip planned the next day, worried it won't make it, and don't wanna feel like inconvenience family by stopping at a charger for 30-60mins.

Will thus anxiety go away, should I let it drop to 20-30% before charging or just peace of mind top up to 100% every few days from 60.

I only average 200 to 250kms per week for reference

H
Sounds like my model S. ‘Call Peter” still results in ‘cold pizza’ even though the screen shows peter. ‘Cole peeeeterrrr’ fixes it though.
Ahah, yeh for me I got a mate called Oli so when I try it keeps saying Ali which doesn't work haha but when I tell Google on my phone it works, seems Google's still better at it than the Tesla